PDA

View Full Version : Health benefits of magnets?

MadPict
19-Oct-08, 14:22
I have been suffering a bit of pain in the left shoulder joint recently. It's not muscular and seems to be aggravated by sleeping on my left side (no cries of "well sleep on your right!" please).
I have tried various gels, creams, heat patches, ice packs, deep heat rubs and pain killers all to varying degrees of relief.

I decided to maybe give an 'alternative' remedy a try - I often see folk with the old copper/magnetic bracelets and so wondered about the efficacy of these items. I reckon the magnetic ones would be for me but at £30 a go I thought I'd try some of the magnetic patches first (about £3 a pack).

Well, I am impressed. Within a matter of a couple of hours the pain had almost gone and a slight warming sensation could be detected in the joint. As these patches can be worn for 5 days or more and are drug free, they are working a miracle IMO. I can sleep on my left side without the pain and tasks which would have my flinching in pain can now be done with relative ease.

My question is have any other orgers used the magnetic bracelets with any success?

I will eventually seek advice from my GP but the relief these little plasters have brought is remarkable.

northener
19-Oct-08, 14:30
I've never used them myself and have remained extremely cynical about the claims made by the vendors.

However, when we used to race greyhounds some of the trainers swore by the magnetic bands that were available to help the dogs over wrist/hock injuries. Obviously the dogs wouldn't comment on the effectiveness of these devices - but the results seemed to bear out the claims.

I'm glad it works for you MP, there's obviously something in it for people as well as mutts.

percy toboggan
19-Oct-08, 14:43
How large are these healing adhesives?
Would they cover a moderately sized buttock?
Sadly for me, I have an aching backside most nights.

joxville
19-Oct-08, 14:57
I used magnetic bracelets once but wouldn't recommend them. My pain has gone but I was stuck to the fridge for weeks. I now weigh 32 stones. [lol]

ciderally
19-Oct-08, 15:09
works for me.....i think....but wont take it off my wrist just incase

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 15:16

Want to reply to that one but cant bring myself to do it!!!! as It would be worth at least one infraction ;)

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 15:17
I've never used them myself and have remained extremely cynical about the claims made by the vendors.

However, when we used to race greyhounds some of the trainers swore by the magnetic bands that were available to help the dogs over wrist/hock injuries. Obviously the dogs wouldn't comment on the effectiveness of these devices - but the results seemed to bear out the claims.

I'm glad it works for you MP, there's obviously something in it for people as well as mutts.

Cant believe a "Northerner" with greyhounds!! How stereotypical of you! ;)

northener
19-Oct-08, 15:23
Cant believe a "Northerner" with greyhounds!! How stereotypical of you! ;)

Cheeky git.

Hey, MP. Am I right in thinking that your avatar is 'Iron Man'? If it is..be careful with them magnets.

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 15:26
Cheeky git.

Hey, MP. Am I right in thinking that your avatar is 'Iron Man'? If it is..be careful with them magnets.

Always wanted a greyhound but the wife thinks their ugly. I think they are lovely dogs and would make the ideal pet as they have such a lovely temperament.

Every Git working directory is a full-fledged repository with complete history and full revision tracking capabilities, not dependent on network access or a central server. ;)

teenybash
19-Oct-08, 16:23
I used magnetic bracelets once but wouldn't recommend them. My pain has gone but I was stuck to the fridge for weeks. I now weigh 32 stones. [lol]

Brilliant, I nearly fell off my chair laughing.[lol]....................The art of humour brings joy to the soul!!!!!!:Razz

balto
19-Oct-08, 17:56
i have heard that they are good for back pain, a lady i work with reckons they are brilliant.

Margaret M.
19-Oct-08, 18:05
Glad the magnets work for you, MP. I've never tried them but there are lots of good reports about them. I had the same shoulder problem from sleeping on my side. I got a memory foam mattress topper and since the first night I slept on it, the shoulder has never bothered me again.

philupmaboug
19-Oct-08, 18:10
Tried them for the same shoulder type problem and they worked great, you was told that you can buy a magnetic matress for back and joint pain but they are pricey.

Kevin Milkins
19-Oct-08, 20:31
Want to reply to that one but cant bring myself to do it!!!! as It would be worth at least one infraction ;)

Touche.:lol:

MadPict
19-Oct-08, 22:47

From sitting down all day? Maybe you need a bead seat cover!!! You get 12 in the pack, so if you feel the urge stick them all over yer erse!!!

I wondered why the fridge door kept opening when I got near to it. And tins of beer would attach themselves to my hand too....

I was sceptical about it too - hence why I was only willing to fork out the £3 for a box of patches to see if there was any benefit in their use. The difference is very noticeable and I will see what happens after I remove them - that will be the test.

It is indeed Iron Man and I will ;)

JimH
19-Oct-08, 23:22
I have spent my life as a sceptic about the use of magnets, but have to admit to now wearing a copper bracelet fitted with 2 magnets and feeling remarkably better after about 3 days.
I'm glad I tried it, and only regret I suffered so long.