PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Wick Airport

Fluff
19-Oct-08, 13:12
My OH and I are looking to come up in Feb so I thought I would see how much it might cost to fly to Wick since neither of us drive, we either have to rely on my parents to pick us up from Inverness or take the wonderful(!) train.

For two of us to fly from Edinburgh to Wick return, over £200. If we choose (which we will) to fly to Inverness from Gatwick, £127.

To fly to Wick is an obscene amount of money. I know it is a small airport so it costs more, but I don't understand how they can justify it. I think if it were cheaper, more people would take that option.

MadPict
19-Oct-08, 13:58
Just as flying from the UK to the US (east coast) can sometimes cost less than the train fare from London to Wick so the fare from Gatwick to Inverness can be less than all the way to Wick. I flew from Luton to Inverness one year and it cost me £49 - that was cheaper than even driving up at the time.

Smaller airlines cannot absorb the costs as the major ones can on less popular routes. So the costs are probably nearer to the actual amount it costs them to fly passengers.

ads
19-Oct-08, 21:49
From 26 Oct 08 Flybe are taking over from Loganair on Edinburgh - Wick flight. By booking in advance there should be deals available.

rockchick
19-Oct-08, 21:51
Cool. That would be good.

bekisman
19-Oct-08, 22:14
here tiz http://www.flybe.com/?WT.mc_id=cj1.&AID=10305673&PID=1132404

northener
19-Oct-08, 22:45
it just goes to show that booking well in advance can pay off.

Wick-Edin return at the beginning of Nov: £200
Wick-Edin return mid Jan: £95

Fran
20-Oct-08, 01:49
Have you thought of the train....sleeper from london to Inverness £19 and that includes your fare, also £15 return anywhere in scotland for over 55's.

Fluff
20-Oct-08, 10:13
You know Fran the sleeper is something I have always wanted to try, but our efforts have been fruitless. We tried to book it once at the station, the guy behind the desk didnt know how much it would cost etc (using the machine)
The fact you can only book a maximum of 3 months ahead puts me off, we are looking to book the flights soon and the costs vary so mich.
But if I could, I would!

Murdina Bug
20-Oct-08, 14:34
From 26 Oct 08 Flybe are taking over from Loganair on Edinburgh - Wick flight. By booking in advance there should be deals available.

Don't forget if you are a resident of Caithness/North Sutherland you are eligible for an Air Discount Scheme card. This gives you 20% (approx) off the cost of the flight (before tax) on flights to/from Wick. To book using your card you have to go to http://www.flybe.com/cam/adsInit.do The drawback to this is if you are booking for more than one person you have to do it one by one as the ADS number is required for each person.

To get a card go to www.airdiscountscheme.com (http://www.airdiscountscheme.com) There is no minimum use or anything so don't put off applying if you are not sure about it - better to have it for when you do need it.

Blondie
20-Oct-08, 15:10
[quote=Murdina Bug;447649] The drawback to this is if you are booking for more than one person you have to do it one by one as the ADS number is required for each person.

That didn't happen in my case just a few weeks ago. I booked myself and my hubby on a flight to Edinburgh. I used one card and we both got the discount.

Fran
21-Oct-08, 04:42
You know Fran the sleeper is something I have always wanted to try, but our efforts have been fruitless. We tried to book it once at the station, the guy behind the desk didnt know how much it would cost etc (using the machine)
The fact you can only book a maximum of 3 months ahead puts me off, we are looking to book the flights soon and the costs vary so mich.
But if I could, I would!

Just go on to the train web site and book it on line or at any station. there are posters about it T MOST STATIONS TOO