PDA

View Full Version : Cheap train travel

Fran
19-Oct-08, 04:11
The cheap rail offer is on again for those over 55 years of age, till after Christmas, anywhere in Scotland for only £15 return.
I noticed today that you can get a sleeper to london for £19 which includes your sleeper and your fare.

Angela
19-Oct-08, 09:13
Hi Fran, glad to hear this offer is back again.

It's on from 20th October to 31st March - except between 19th November and 11th January.

http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/node/1037

My daughter mentioned it to me, saying she wasn't sure if I could get it or not -she'd forgotten how old I was! :lol:

rockchick
19-Oct-08, 16:44
Does the £19 include a berth, or a chair only? I tried the "cheap-sleeper" option once, which requires you to sleep sitting up...not worth the discount unless you're really strapped for cash.

Fran
20-Oct-08, 01:53
the £19 is for berth (BED) and fare. If you are disabled you pay that and get one free for your companion. for everyone else its £19, a great offer.

rockchick
20-Oct-08, 06:51
That is a brilliant offer, well worth it.

wavy davy
23-Oct-08, 00:01
Fran

Thanks for bringing this up.
Unfortunately the number of £19 berhs is limited, to say the least. I did a search (London to Inverness) from tomorrow until the end of the year and there are only five "bargain berths" available, one for £19, two for £29 and two for £39.

Having said that, until you brought it up I had never thought about using a sleeper for that journey, so I've booked mine for £59 - still a good deal when it saves me a night in a hotel and a flight - the times also suit me better.
Thanks again.

Loch not Lock
23-Oct-08, 13:04
The cheap rail offer is on again for those over 55 years of age, till after Christmas, anywhere in Scotland for only £15 return.
I noticed today that you can get a sleeper to london for £19 which includes your sleeper and your fare.

I am sorry to say, Fran, that if you look at the small print the £15 return to anywhere in Scotland does not apply to Caithness.
We are treated like inferior aliens up here!!:~(
I've now checked at the station and it is available up here. Still can't manage to do it online.
Sorry for any alarm.

COACHMAN
23-Oct-08, 13:35
I am sorry to say, Fran, that if you look at the small print the £15 return to anywhere in Scotland does not apply to Caithness.
We are treated like inferior aliens up here!!:~(

This offer DOES apply to all of Scotland from Wick & Thurso Stations

Loch not Lock
23-Oct-08, 13:35
Fran,

I got this Club55 email but everytime I try to book Thurso to Leuchars return or Thurso to Dundee I get a quote of £68.10. I wanted to visit my daughter at St.Andrews University.
Must go up to the station to see if I get better luck there.[disgust]

Loch not Lock
23-Oct-08, 13:43
This offer DOES apply to all of Scotland from Wick & Thurso Stations

Thank you, Coachman, but why do I get a £68.10 qoute every time I try to book even though I've tried countless different dates?
I would appreciate it if you have any advice as to get that price online. My attempts have been made on the Club55 website.
Cheers.

bekisman
23-Oct-08, 14:06
I agree LnL; I've just tried to go from Thurso to Aberdeen leaving on 23rd November and return on 25th November Cheapest £69! (and yes I know the offer is between 20 Oct to 31 March but not 19th Dec to 11 Jan) some glitch somewhere..

shin chan
23-Oct-08, 14:39
There is a problem with the link when you put in Thurso and Wick it seems. Partner had to get his ticket from the railway station and even then she had to change the price to £15.00 and yes Caithness is included in the deal but it seems not when you book it on the internet.

henry20
23-Oct-08, 15:24
I always get better prices if I book at the station. Never get a good price on the net!! :roll:

Loch not Lock
23-Oct-08, 16:33
Went to the station and got return ticket without any problem for £15. It seems it does not work on the net.
Sorry if I made anyone think these Club55 tickets were not available from Caithness.:)