PDA

View Full Version : BT Broadband Help

erli
16-Jan-06, 21:32
I have had this for a while now, but I am having a problem signing in. I click on the icon and I get the sign in menu, after entering username and password, it tells me that I have logged in successfully and I am being connected. Then the sign in menu comes up again and again telling me to sign in.
I have tried to phone the help line but after 40 mins of being told that I am moving up the line, I gave up, it wasn't an 0800 number.
I removed some adware yesterday, and I wonder if this has caused the problem and if it did, how do I fix it.
Could someone please help me.
I can still get on the net by going into Internet Explorer, but it's not BT and I can't get to my emails.
I will try phoning again tomorrow, but just hoped that someone here could help me tonight, it's driving me crazy.

Phoebus_Apollo
16-Jan-06, 21:35
Do you get any specific error message??

erli
16-Jan-06, 21:37
A wee blue box come up saying, "sign in failed".

Phoebus_Apollo
17-Jan-06, 16:01
I have had this for a while now, but I am having a problem signing in. I click on the icon and I get the sign in menu, after entering username and password, it tells me that I have logged in successfully and I am being connected. Then the sign in menu comes up again and again telling me to sign in.
I have tried to phone the help line but after 40 mins of being told that I am moving up the line, I gave up, it wasn't an 0800 number.
I removed some adware yesterday, and I wonder if this has caused the problem and if it did, how do I fix it.
I can still get on the net by going into Internet Explorer, but it's not BT and I can't get to my emails.
I will try phoning again tomorrow, but just hoped that someone here could help me tonight, it's driving me crazy.

If you are using Windows XP home there is an option called System Restore where you can revert back to a previously "good" profile. Goto Start/Help/Type System Restore and then choose System Restore Wizard.

The below are from Google sources;

Also try clicking Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet options, Connection and tick 'Never Dial a Connection'. Then it will only dial when you want it to.

Try running "msconfig" ( Start-->run type msconfig and return) and clicking the startup tab- that shows you everything that's loading at start. Uncheck'em all. See if that solves it. If so, start adding em one by one back into the list, and you'll have the culprit.

Bored
17-Jan-06, 16:40
I remember having a similar problem before I upgraded, I think it was just a simple matter of rerunning the installation disc and going through the processes as if I was just starting.
Give it a try.

scorrie
17-Jan-06, 17:03

If you can get on the internet you should be able to access your email. If you go to the BT homepage from internet explorer you should be able to check your mail from there. (I know that I can still access my old Bush Internet email address from the their homepage)

It might also tell you whether the problem is with accessing your BT account or whether it is the set up of the other browser that might be at fault.

Uninstalling and re-installing your BT package may work as Bored says. I recently removed viuruses and spyware from someones PC and was left with error messages about Port numbers. After uninstalling and reinstalling from the upgrade disc I was able to get the guy back on the net as normal.

ps If you do access your email via the homepage and then try to do so later via outlook or thunderbird you might get the error message that you are already signed in. This will go away after you get timed out on the homepage.

erli
17-Jan-06, 17:49
Thank you very much for all the advice.
Don't know what was wrong but when I turned on the computer today it was all working again, But it's good to know that there is always someone willing to help.
Thanks again.