PDA

View Full Version : Boxer dogs

carasmam
18-Oct-08, 21:39
Could any of you Boxer owners give me a quick breed profile of them :)
Are they good with kids, couch potatoes or livewires, do they need a lot of training etc??? I have always liked the look of them but dont know one personally, if you get what I mean !!!

Ta

dancingtaz13
18-Oct-08, 21:43
My sister in law has one... she got him from a pup so is perfect with the kids and her youngest is 1. They climb all over him. He is very strong though and better if trained on lead as he is murder to walk.
He did chew their sofa too when they went out & left him for a wee while!! He is a great dog though, boisterous sometimes but loves to play and loves company.

Kevin Milkins
18-Oct-08, 23:39
Boxer dogs can be a handfull if you have not got the time or space they require to live an active and fullfilling life.

I have found that they like company and two of them would be less work than one in my opinion as if they are together all the time they require less input from yourself when exercising them as they chase each other around and they do not suffer anguish when left alone for long periods and chew the house to bits.

We travelled around Europe with ours in a small camper van for three months and when they got used to the routine they where fantastic fun.
Our biggest concern was a 12 hour crossing on a ferry and they had to stay on there own with the vehicle , but it did not bother them one bit and proberbly slept all the way.

It would be fair to say that I am biased being a boxer owner ,but I have never in my life been without a dog of some breed or other and the boxers we have had have certainly been the most giving and least trouble of all.

They can be expensive vet wise but proberbly no more than any pedigree and have a life expectancy of about 10 years.

Although they are a big vicious looking dog ,they are in fact very good with kids and will tolerate any ammount of pulling about.If we left our grandaughter outside in her pram and she started to cry the dogs would run in and out to tell us and showed genuine concern.

Anything else please ask ,or if you would like to meet my old girl you are wellcome. Regards KM

Fran
19-Oct-08, 03:44
And I must add that Kevins dog is gorgeous, a big soft lump, with a lovely friendly nature, and Bobbydog loves her very much!!

Tilter
19-Oct-08, 15:56
I've only known a few boxers but they were all stars. I just wanted to say the boxer was one of the 2 or 3 breeds mentioned in that TV programme about pedigreed dogs having big medical problems as a result of inbreeding. It might be worth reading up on or perhaps other boxer owners can tell you more so you can find out what you may/may not be letting yourself in for.

Dorrie
19-Oct-08, 16:32
The first dog I ever remember owning was a boxer dog, she was a family dog, but she was mine. I was 8! I loved her. My sister learned to walk with her. I would love to be able to have another boxer but I think it is a family dog and needs young people if you don't have two dogs.

Margaret M.
19-Oct-08, 18:19
My son has a boxer and he is super with the kids. He is a chewer though which has taught the kids not to leave stuff on the floor. They are very sturdy and strong -- he's knocked one of them over more than once when he wanted to join the fun of running around in the yard.

carasmam
19-Oct-08, 21:14
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply :)

Kevin - I might take you up on the offer of meeting your dog, I'll pm you.

We are still at the thinking and talking stage yet, Cara is 13 and although we would love a pup to grow up with the bairn we should really let Cara have peace in her old age, a baby was a big enough adjustment for her last year :eek: But maybe the bairn would give Cara more peace if she had a pup to play with ??? Oh I dont know !!

jac1791
21-Oct-08, 17:35
Hi I have 2 boxers just now a male and female, this is my second time having them, they are nuts, but as others have said they are so loveable, my grand daughter who is 2 throws herself on top of them and can sometimes be bad to them but I 100% trust them with her.

you are welcome to visit my pair if u want - id totally recogmend them as a pet.

Any one know of someone with a male boxer willing to put him to stud -- my bitch due to come in season end of january-- thx

Jacqueline 07514087193

carasmam
21-Oct-08, 20:56
Thanks for the info. Seems folks can only say good things about their boxer friends :D

Someone did mention drool though :eek: I dont do drool lol [lol]

jac1791
22-Oct-08, 11:13
my pair dont drull at all

brandy
22-Oct-08, 13:25
how big do they get?

carasmam
22-Oct-08, 22:47
how big do they get?

About 21" - 25" high and between 60 - 70 lbs :)

highbury
23-Oct-08, 13:39
we always have at least one boxer, but as said before can be a bit bonkers - that said never had one that wasn't brilliant with kids