PDA

View Full Version : Class Society

Rheghead
16-Jan-06, 21:00
Does the class system still exist today? Has it evolved into something else?
I consider myself to be working class but a lot would classify me as middle class.
The old system was
Upper
Middle
Lower middle
Working

There is a Socio-economic system which is used by market researchers that broadly mirrors the old system but it is not familiar with the public.

Also can we move from one class to another or are we stuck? Also can we draw similarities from the Hindu caste system with the class system:confused ?

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jan-06, 21:13
It may not be as noticeable but I believe it still exists.

golach
16-Jan-06, 21:14
It surley does Rheghead, I remember that in the RN the saying was
Officers and their Ladies
Senior Rates and their Wives
Junior Rates and their Women

Fesman
16-Jan-06, 21:17
Does the class system still exist today?
I consider myself to be working class but a lot would classify me as middle class.

It only requires one person to believe he is in a different class to another person to create a class system.

Your belief that you are working class maintains the system!

landmarker
16-Jan-06, 21:29
Anyone who has/had a clock to wake him/her up so he can go out to work to pay his/her bills is 'working class'

The old order went out of the window decades ago. Pigeon holes are for sociologists and for those who see 'class' almost as a badge of honour or a barricade to gather behind.

Life is far too complex to categorise individuals on the basis of some notional hierarchy.

Drutt
16-Jan-06, 21:50
This makes me think of the Social Class Privilege checklist devised by Will Barratt. I've de-Americanised it a little, but you can read the original here (http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:g7_H5DtBZLsJ:wbarratt.indstate.edu/documents/isaa2003/SESPrivilege.pdf+class+privilege+checklist&hl=en&client=firefox-a).

Social Class Privilege Checklist for the Upper Social Classes:
1. I don’t need to worry about learning the social customs of others.
2. The 'better people' are in my social group.
3. It is likely that my career and financial success will be attributed to my hard work.
4. People appear to pay attention to my social class.
5. When I am shopping, people usually call me "Sir" or "Ma’am".
6. When making a purchase with a cheque or credit card, my appearance doesn’t create problems.
7. When I, or my children, are taught about history, people from my social class are represented in the books.
8. I can easily speak with my solicitor or doctor.
9. There are neighbourhoods I can move to where I feel ‘at home’.
10. There are places where I can be among those exclusively from my social class.
11. I can deny Social Class Privilege by asserting that all social classes are essentially the same.
12. Experts appearing on mass media are from my social class.
13. There are stores that market especially to people from my social class.
14. I can protect myself and my children from people who may not like us based on my social class.
15. Police officers will likely assume I am a non-threatening person once they see me and hear me.
16. Disclosure of my work and education may actually help police or solicitors perceive me as being "in the right" or "unbiased".
17. I can easily speak to my child’s teachers.
18. My citizenship and immigration status will likely not be questioned, and my background will likely not be investigated, because of my social class.
19. I can be sure that my social class will be an advantage when seeking medical or legal help.
20. If I wish to my children to private schools, I have a variety of options.
21. I can find colleges that have many people from my social class as students and that welcome me or my child.
22. If I apply for a prestige job competing with people of a lower class, my social class will be to my advantage.
23. The decision to hire me will be related to my background and where I went to school.
24. When I watch TV or read the papers I can see people of my own class represented well.
25. The "Newsmakers" are like me.
26. I deserve my status because of my accomplishments.
27. If I get offered a job over someone with more experience, it is because I deserve it.
28. My elected representatives share a similar background with mine.
29. Chances the person in charge in any organisation is like me or is sympathetic to my status.
30. My child is never ignored in school, and if there are problems, I am called by the teacher or headteacher.
31. People are usually careful with their language and grammar around me.

+++++++++++

As far as I can see, those who think that class doesn't exist clearly take their privileges for granted. And I think that because I see the impact of class every single day, not just because I've studied Sociology. [smirk]

Gleber2
16-Jan-06, 22:32
The class system is still with us as much as ever.Money is the decider these days,not your position on the genetic ladder.A rich celebrity gets more respect than the poor Lord.We now have many more classes than the four mentioned by Jaws.Instead of unifying,we are split up, more than ever, into sub-groups.

jjc
16-Jan-06, 22:55
For sure... the class system is the reason why I went through school assuming I would go to University (just like my father did), assuming that I would work in an office (just like my father did) and assuming that I could achieve just about anything I set my mind to.

Gleber2
16-Jan-06, 23:01
Were your assumptions right.:confused:

gleeber
16-Jan-06, 23:14
Nothing happens in the natural world unless it is in our genes. Pecking orders are as natural as snow. Thats a fact!

Gleber2
16-Jan-06, 23:19
Is wealth genetic as well?

gleeber
16-Jan-06, 23:28
Is wealth genetic as well?
Only if daddies a millionaire

Gleber2
16-Jan-06, 23:31
Pecking order is as common as snow but,in our reality,something as unatural as money dictates that order.Our class system is no longer genetic.:eyes

Kenn
16-Jan-06, 23:45
Try reading Aristotle on "Ethics" he wrote to the effect that there will always be rulers and ruled, workers and employers. rich and poor because society in the main remains static and is governed by supply and demand .The only way to rise up the ladder is to provide a service or have a skill that others do not.
Not bad for a man who lived over two thousand years ago!

jjc
17-Jan-06, 00:16
Were your assumptions right.
Yes... not by virtue of being middle-class but because of the lack of barriers and the opportunities afforded to me because of that class.

gleeber
17-Jan-06, 00:31
Pecking order is as common as snow but,in our reality,something as unatural as money dictates that order.Our class system is no longer genetic.:eyes
Pecking order is as natural as snow please.
Theres a difference between the class system which you seem to be suggesting is money orientated, and a natural pecking order inherent in nature.

Gleber2
17-Jan-06, 00:38
I stand corrected on first point.
We should be running with the natural pecking order where the strongest or most cunning would come out on top.Instead,the most peelywally specimen can be on top if he has the readies.Either way,we come oot wi darned little:D

JAWS
17-Jan-06, 01:21
I was once told that if you have to work and somebody tells you what, where and when to do it, then you are working class no matter what your job or background.

Pink Lippy
18-Jan-06, 21:43
It's rheghead on class,
"Are we Hindu in caste?"
No way my old friend,
They're dead strict, they don't bend.

So what new's come to pass,
Since you last fought this lass?
Nice you're still here,
You owe me a beer x

Whitewater
22-Jan-06, 16:02
I have found class distinction all over, even in communist countries where everybody is supposed to be equal, you always find that some are "More equal than others"