PDA

View Full Version : becoming a UK citizen?!

brandy
17-Oct-08, 19:05
have just been looking at the home office page.. and was thinking about taking the plunge to become a brittish citizen.. well if i could pass the test on UK knowlege and find the nearly 700 pounds it costs to apply! but if they ever accepted me, whos coming to the ceremony! *grins* anyone been to a swearing in of a UK cit? anyone taken the test? just interested, as after being married to a scot since 2000 and living in wick and loving it here more and more every day, i think that its come the time to really put my roots down.
just gonna go buy the book start studying and then take the test.. and start saving my pennies.. for a long time prob. before i can apply! wish me luck! or is that a mob i hear forming outside! *G*

bobandag16
17-Oct-08, 19:15
have just been looking at the home office page.. and was thinking about taking the plunge to become a brittish citizen.. well if i could pass the test on UK knowlege and find the nearly 700 pounds it costs to apply! but if they ever accepted me, whos coming to the ceremony! *grins* anyone been to a swearing in of a UK cit? anyone taken the test? just interested, as after being married to a scot since 2000 and living in wick and loving it here more and more every day, i think that its come the time to really put my roots down.
just gonna go buy the book start studying and then take the test.. and start saving my pennies.. for a long time prob. before i can apply! wish me luck! or is that a mob i hear forming outside! *G*
are u male or female married to a scot you are british in my eyes

brandy
17-Oct-08, 19:28
im a girl so hubby is the wicker *G*
what you have to do just to get on the voters roll and have the ability to apply for a uk passport!

bobandag16
17-Oct-08, 19:40
im a girl so hubby is the wicker *G*
what you have to do just to get on the voters roll and have the ability to apply for a uk passport!
is it so .i have no passport do u not take your mans .

brandy
17-Oct-08, 19:49
nope everyone has to have their own passport even the kids.. i have an american one myself the kids are british cits. so they have UK passports.

bobandag16
17-Oct-08, 19:58
nope everyone has to have their own passport even the kids.. i have an american one myself the kids are british cits. so they have UK passports.
keep your options open .sorry cannot advise good luck to u and your family

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 20:13
Can you get a Dual passport?
That way you wont lose your birthplace but can still be british?
Sorry If I dont know the procedures but I imagine you can get a Dual passport but because US and UK are so close maybe dual is not possible?

Dont know but If I was british and lived in the states for years I would like a dual because that way i would stil feel British and American,Country of birth and country of residence but still retaining my "Identity" thats just me though, everyone is different.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

northener
17-Oct-08, 20:16
Brandy,

If you want to go for it, then go!

If you decide not to, then no-one will think any less of you. It's your decision, girl. You'll still be Brandy whatever you decide.

Are you still driving those damn yankee-style automatics, or have you got 'manual' control now?;)

brandy
17-Oct-08, 20:42
nope still driving my automatic!! and proud of it!yup can be a dual citizen easily enough, just got to get the money up! its about 50-60 pounds to renew my american passport which made me start looking at the citizen ship details as i was already on the pages for it.
i would have two passports one british and one american.
i think it works out you have to use american when going to america and british when coming to uk, but either anywhere else, depends on who they hate less *G*
but i will need to take a citizen ship test, pass it apply for citizenship be accepted then have a ceremony where i pledge allegiance to queen and country and get a nice citizenship paper and pictures taken. *G* i think if i ever make it i will invite everyone.. (as far as i know its at the registrars..) and then have a little yeah im a brit (scot) party!!!!
saying that my great great grandfather was from the isle of lewis so have a little bit of scots already in me.. and then theres hubby and the kids.. so im well stuck here!
hubby and i was talking yesterday, and i told him that this was home now, i dont think i would ever go back to the states to live. even with all my family there, this is where i belong. it took me so long to settle in, but now i couldnt imagine being anywhere else!!
VIVA la Scotland!!

Tilter
17-Oct-08, 20:58
Brandy,
The Americans don't recognise dual citizenship once you are over 18 years of age. If you take citizenship of another country, as far as the Americans are concerned you have renounced your US citizenship.

If you are born in Britain and have British citizenship, you can take any other citizenship you want but the Brits still regard you as a Brit citizen.

If you have two passports, you should always use the same passport for going and returning on a trip. You get in a right unholy mess if you use different ones.

That's the way things used to be and I'm not aware they've changed but I could be well out of date with things. If you're married to a Brit and you're American, it would be better for one of you to remain British and one of you to remain American - that way you can come and go either place without restriction because you are married. Your kids can choose a nationality when they are 18.

Don't do it lightly, and good luck.

brandy
18-Oct-08, 00:52
found this on the US dept of state website so looks as if i wont loose US cit. if i take UK as well
Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

Moi x
18-Oct-08, 01:16
nope still driving my automatic!! and proud of it!yup can be a dual citizen easily enough, just got to get the money up! its about 50-60 pounds to renew my american passport which made me start looking at the citizen ship details as i was already on the pages for it.
i would have two passports one british and one american.
i think it works out you have to use american when going to america and british when coming to uk, but either anywhere else, depends on who they hate less *G*
but i will need to take a citizen ship test, pass it apply for citizenship be accepted then have a ceremony where i pledge allegiance to queen and country and get a nice citizenship paper and pictures taken. *G* i think if i ever make it i will invite everyone.. (as far as i know its at the registrars..) and then have a little yeah im a brit (scot) party!!!!
saying that my great great grandfather was from the isle of lewis so have a little bit of scots already in me.. and then theres hubby and the kids.. so im well stuck here!
hubby and i was talking yesterday, and i told him that this was home now, i dont think i would ever go back to the states to live. even with all my family there, this is where i belong. it took me so long to settle in, but now i couldnt imagine being anywhere else!!
VIVA la Scotland!!Go for it girl! That post brought a little moistness to my eyes. There's life in the old country yet.

Party at Brandy's place! When is it? ;)

Moi x

Tristan
18-Oct-08, 08:08
If you don't have it already you may be able to get "Entitlement to Abode". u don't get a passport but a stamp in your existing passport. Less expensive than full citizenship, but you have nearly all the rights, work, enter and leave freely, voters roll etc of a British Citizen without the passport.

Alice in Blunderland
18-Oct-08, 10:46
Brandy it is expensive to become a British Citizen.

Firstly check with your own Embassy regarding taking up British Citizenship whether America accepts dual or not. In some caes ( some countries ) people have to surrender their native nationality before accepting British. Some countries allow dual nationalities and people can have two passports.

Regarding voters list you need to be a citizen of a commonwealth country.
Not all commonwealth citizens are British citizens but if they reside in Britain they have a right to vote.( as far as Im aware )

The ceremony is in the town hall in front of the Registrar, Lord Lieutenant and some councillors. You can take as many family and friends as the room allows and is a very nice and personal ceremony. ( been to one ) :D

You can go onto the Life in Uk website to get info on the test and much more including the purchase of the book.Good luck if you need more info just ask (been there with someone else so have got the T shirt)

percy toboggan
18-Oct-08, 15:28
Save your money.
You are almost as British as fish and chips
by the sound of it.

This citizenship malarkey is for those who don't really belong here yet want to demonstrate that they do by dint of a cheque for a few hundred quid. It's a facility of convenience by a Government who should not have let most of them enter in the first place.

Thank goodness Phil Woolas is now talking some sense about immigration. A first surely for a Government minister. The usual suspects are rounding on him of course. Liberal attack dogs who deserve to be neutered.

rockchick
18-Oct-08, 16:13
As I'm married to a British citizen I was able to have my (non-EU) passport stamped with a permanent Spousal Visa. As long as I don't leave the UK with the intention of settling elsewhere, I have all the benefits of British passport holders...including voting, paying taxes etc...

I've looked into getting a British passport, as I would require one to get DV clearance, but much like yourself the high cost seemed to cancel out the benefit, so I haven't taken it any further.

Elenna
18-Oct-08, 18:03
Being in much the same circumstance as yourself, Brandy, I looked into this not too long ago myself....

YES! Americans are allowed to hold dual citizenship. It used to be a requirement to renounce American citizenship when taking on citizenship of another country, however this was changed in the late 1980's. Unfortunately, it was/is not a well-publicised fact even amongst Embassy and State Dept/Immigration officials, and you will still get ones telling you wrongly.

A good page for info (thought it is more from the point of view of a foreign-born person wanting to become a dual American citizen, a lot of the details are universal...like when to use your American passport, and when to use your dual country's) is: http://www.newcitizen.us/dual.html There is also a section at the bottom of the page giving some very excellent further links. I particularly recommend the FAQ one.

The application form for Naturalisation as a British Citizen can be downloaded as a PDF file from the Home Office website:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/ I'm sorry to see that the fees have just about trebled since the last time I looked! :( Just a few years ago it was around £220.

My basis for deciding to go ahead with the dual nationalty is that though I have permanent Residency in the UK ('Leave to Remain Indefinitely' is what I think is stamped in my passport), it is on the basis of marriage to my hubby...which I assume is the same case for yourself...and legally, should hubby predecease me, that basis for residency will cease to exist. At best, that would mean having to deal at an already difficult time with a lot of forms and hassle, applying to continue living here on my own merits, or else simply being deported...and there are two cases I know of where this has happened!

I'd be happy to send you further links or information via pm, if you like.

brandy
18-Oct-08, 18:13
im a legal resident, but not a citizen if that makes any diferance.
just dug out my passport and there are two stamps in it the first says..
leave to reamain in the UK on condition that the holder maintains and accomodates himself and any dependants without recorse to public funds is hereby given
and the other one is a green stamp that says given leave to reamain in the UKfor an indefinate period.
i have a letter somewhere that tells me im basically a UK resident now with all privilages that that entails. at first i had a marrige visa, but after a year i was able to apply for residency which i did. not sure what that gives me but i know i dont have full citizenship

Elenna
18-Oct-08, 18:16
You're same as me, then :)

brandy
18-Oct-08, 18:18
ohhh i have indefinate leave to reamin with means that im a permanent resident. so dont think i will ever have to leave... i think oi those gov. pages gets tricky!

JAWS
19-Oct-08, 01:07
To be honest, Brandy, if your current status is not causing you any problems I would tend to stick with it. From what you say you have been given a right to permanent residence so, unless you get the sudden urge to become a violent criminal or an international drug dealer, you should have no problems.

Truthfully I get the impression that the Citizenship Malarkey was introduced because it was a good sound bite at the time and a nice money making scam into the bargain.

In view of the fact that the Government has seen fit to grant you a permanent right of residence and to bestow all the rights and privileges due to any British Citizen on you then to expect you to spend a lot of money just so they can present you with a bit of paper is a damn cheek.

Once somebody has arrived at that stage of proceedings then being granted Citizenship should be an automatic right granted on request. They have, after all, already agreed that they are willing to both view and treat you as such so why should they then expect you to jump through hoops over it.

Besides, Americans are only lapsed ex-Colonials after all. :lol: (Now they'll never let me visit Disneyland)

Moi x
19-Oct-08, 01:13
I still say 'go for it!' I know from experience it can be a pain in the butt not having a passport for the country you live in. [evil]

Moi x

JAWS
19-Oct-08, 01:24
If it starts or is likely to cause problems by not doing then it would certainly be worth it.

Tilter
19-Oct-08, 15:39
Brandy,
I'm glad the US law has changed then since I had to deal with it in the early 80's.