Bomber 1
16-Oct-08, 22:53
Has anyone watched the new series on the beeb very interesting
As Nephew just joined up

golach
16-Oct-08, 23:25
As Nephew just joined up
As an owld Merchant Seaman, who was in the Catering Dept, I found it a little elitist, young officer candidates only were shown, but it is early days I will be watching

Aaldtimer
17-Oct-08, 02:10
I had 3 elder brothers who were in the MN, 2 Engineers and 1 an AB.
I quite fancied it at 16 year old, until my eldest brother said "There's only two species that go to sea - fish and fools".
He'd been in the MN for about 10 years by the time he said that, so it kinda gave me pause for thought.
I joined the RAF a few years later!:)

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 06:28
As an owld Merchant Seaman, who was in the Catering Dept, I found it a little elitist, young officer candidates only were shown, but it is early days I will be watching

And you gave me "stick" for being an Army chef!!!! (now I know where your complex comes from-jealousy!!!!!!) ;) he he

Thought it wasnt a bad programme but agree with above it was very "hooray henry" towards the officer types where I think it would be more interesting if it showed the more "normal" type of seaman as ayt the end of the day they are the backbone of the service.

brokencross
17-Oct-08, 06:34
What channel and when is it on, please?

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 06:42
What channel and when is it on, please?

Its on STV on Monday nights at 8pm but you can catch up here: http://www.stv.tv/content/tv/featuredprogrammes/the_merchant_navy/index.html

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 06:45
As Nephew just joined up

Dont know what kind of TV you have but I watched mine on STV!!!!! :) lol

Father in law was in it and went to some amazing places wit great stories.
Also a mate of mine went to Argentina and his claim to fame was the fact he got locked up for Drunk and disorderly in Beunos aries!!!!!!! He still remembers it like yesterday the scoundrel.

brokencross
17-Oct-08, 06:59
Its on STV on Monday nights at 8pm but you can catch up here: http://www.stv.tv/content/tv/featuredprogrammes/the_merchant_navy/index.html
Many thanks, I was in MN for 23 years so will find it interesting.
Things will be a lot different now than when I first strode up the gangway in Hamburg all those years ago.

the second coming
17-Oct-08, 08:43
3 of my good mates from school joined up, one jacked cos he missed home, one got kicked out for being a tommy tinker and one is now Captain of the
Hebridean Princess, after captaining the Spirit. Something for everyone. Me, I bought a creel/dive boat!!