PDA

View Full Version : where is everyone?

anneoctober
16-Oct-08, 14:37
Hubby just came back from Thurso, he does n't often go shopping - this may be why ! He popped down to vet's > closed, went to hydro board shop > closed , Graham Beggs > closed ! Granted it was between 1pm-2pm. HOWEVER the Bank of Scotland was OPEN to take his money!:lol:

pat
16-Oct-08, 14:40
They have gone into hibernation??

Know I would like to go into hibernation at the moment.

Or disappear off to warmer climes for a short break.

balto
16-Oct-08, 15:00
you would think with times being hard the way they are, then they would all be open to get that bit of extra money

honey
16-Oct-08, 15:01
it drives my hubby mad when we visit and shops close at lunch time.

sam
16-Oct-08, 15:02
you would think with times being hard the way they are, then they would all be open to get that bit of extra money

They would probably like to, but their staff still have to eat lol;)

balto
16-Oct-08, 15:18
They would probably like to, but their staff still have to eat lol;)
hey doubt they are so busy that they cant have staggered lunch breaks, it seems to work for the shops that stay open.

sms
16-Oct-08, 15:31
I hate when i need to go to a certain shop in Wick and find it closed on a wednesday afternoon.

cd1977
16-Oct-08, 15:43
It amounts to sheer stubborn-ness on the part of the staff.

Resistance to change is very strong in this part of the world.

My message to shop owners who close for lunch - you have just lost one potential customer.

How many other potential customers can only go at lunchtimes? How much custom is lost in this way? A substantial amount I would wager.

Blondie
16-Oct-08, 15:51
Surely to god half day closing should be a thing of the past? These shops did plenty moaning when the superstores were looking to come here yet still close for lunch or have half day closing.

Why dont they move with the times?

Blondie
16-Oct-08, 15:54
There is a place in Wick that opens whenever the women chooses to get out of bed and open up. She quite openly tells you this herself. You often see queues at her door!

Why????????

Dont queue! Go somewhere else!

henry20
17-Oct-08, 08:33
While I agree that shops closing at lunchtime is not the way forward (for some reason, the only time I want to shop is between 1pm - 2pm), I work in a shop that used to close at lunchtime, but no longer does. . . . . . we effectively stagger lunches to accomodate this, but someone has been signed off for weeks and another person phoned in sick, so we don't have enough staff to cover.

To allow for enough staff to cover staggered lunches, we need a higher level of staff in general, so maybe its a cost issue. As I say, this only works if no-one phones in sick or gets signed off.

Angela
17-Oct-08, 09:11
To allow for enough staff to cover staggered lunches, we need a higher level of staff in general, so maybe its a cost issue. As I say, this only works if no-one phones in sick or gets signed off.

henry20, I've noticed some of our local shops down here are opening later in the morning and/or taking a lunchbreak.

Currently they're just not getting as much custom as they had been, and they're having to let staff go. :(

It's impossible to know what takings a shop's losing over a particular time period if it's never been open then of course! but for those who have tried being open all day and find that their sales over lunchtime just don't warrant the extra staffing costs, it's can be a pretty obvious cut to make.

My OH and I had a small chain of shops and we found we had no customers to speak of before 10 am (tho' that could be a good time to get things done) but it was well worthwhile keeping one of our shops open till 7 most nights, when customers would come in on their way home.

I don't think many shopkeepers will be in a position to increase staff numbers right now somehow, but maybe in the run up to Christmas we will see shops staying open as long as possible to maximise sales. :confused

SNOWDOG
17-Oct-08, 09:22
We go through to Thurso quite often and have noticed that there are a lot of shops, shut at lunchtime/close on a weekday/close for halfday. Im honestly having a job thinking of any shops that do this in Wick. ( This is not a Wick/Thurso dig, its just something we have noticed) :)

henry20
17-Oct-08, 10:23
We go through to Thurso quite often and have noticed that there are a lot of shops, shut at lunchtime/close on a weekday/close for halfday. Im honestly having a job thinking of any shops that do this in Wick. ( This is not a Wick/Thurso dig, its just something we have noticed) :)

The closure that bugs me most is the alliance & Leicester - I always seem to go at 9am on Thursday - the one day it doesn't open until 10 or I go on a Saturday - when it no longer opens.

I saw an advert for RBS on tv saying that some branches open on a saturday - does anyone know if the Thurso one does as I may well switch banks.

balto
17-Oct-08, 13:34
The closure that bugs me most is the alliance & Leicester - I always seem to go at 9am on Thursday - the one day it doesn't open until 10 or I go on a Saturday - when it no longer opens.

I saw an advert for RBS on tv saying that some branches open on a saturday - does anyone know if the Thurso one does as I may well switch banks.
i am with the rbs and i dont think they open on a saturday, well not to my knowledge anyway, would think mayby this applys to the bigger towns and citys but mayby i am wrong.

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 17:01
There is a place in Wick that opens whenever the women chooses to get out of bed and open up. She quite openly tells you this herself. You often see queues at her door!

Why????????

Dont queue! Go somewhere else!

Is there a red light above the door??????? ;)

Can you give me directions! he he :)