PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favourite part of Caithness

mccaugm
16-Oct-08, 13:50
As I said in another thread, since moving up here and thanks to a day out organised by the college I discovered the gem that is Dunnet Forest.

Its beautiful, unspoilt and relaxing. If family or friends visit I always try and take them there as it just chills me out. Oh and the High Teas in the local hotel are great too.

So whats your favourite part of Caithness and why, it doesn't have to be where you live as such.

MadPict
16-Oct-08, 13:55
All of Caithness is my favourite - or at least the unblighted bits...

Last time we visited Dunnet 'Forest' the car park was plagued by flies - even though there was a fair breeze as soon as we stepped out of the trees they descended in a black cloud!!!

Kevin Milkins
16-Oct-08, 14:17
I think it goes without saying for me.
I don't really know why ,but whatever mood I am in when I go down the beach I always come back in a good mood..
Its a great place to unclutter your head.:)

Phoebus_Apollo
16-Oct-08, 14:21
I`d have to say the green seat opposite Cafe Cardosi.Truely Legendary.

Anne x
16-Oct-08, 14:23
I Never tire of the view looking over to Orkney from the beach walk and the view from Scrabster taking in all of Thurso Bay

plumber
16-Oct-08, 14:40
Whaligoe steps is the best place in Caithness

Gleber2
16-Oct-08, 14:49
Has to be Dunnet Head for me.

honey
16-Oct-08, 15:00
Thurso East. Miss going for walks there to clear my head!

Highland rose
16-Oct-08, 15:29
My favorite place has to be around the Loch More area its so beautiful there.

horseman
16-Oct-08, 15:45
I would settle for nigh on anywhere there, but 'round the rocks' is a bit special.

ber219
16-Oct-08, 16:30
Berriedale for me, there's something special about it, love going down to the beach and walking in the forest, really clears your head and you feel you are in another world.

SunnyChick
16-Oct-08, 16:53
Strathy Beach is lovely... but is that Caithness or just into Sutherland. If I have to come further East, then I would say Melvich beach is lovely.

katarina
16-Oct-08, 17:03
the Yarrows trail. Nowhere like it in the world and i've been a few places!

justine
16-Oct-08, 17:26
Dirlot Castle, mils away from anywhere near home.

Sporran
16-Oct-08, 20:45
I Never tire of the view looking over to Orkney from the beach walk and the view from Scrabster taking in all of Thurso Bay

I never tired of that either, Anne. One of the best views in the world, and I've travelled far and wide since leaving Thurso!

northener
16-Oct-08, 20:59
Dirlot Castle, mils away from anywhere near home.

I'd agree with that, Justine. We scrambled to the top a couple of years ago and had a picnic.

The North End of Sinclair Bay beach down to the river takes some beating.

newlin
16-Oct-08, 21:04
All of Caithness is lovely. Now that I no longer live there one of my favourite views is the 'Welcome to Caithness' sign at the ord - I always feel that I am home when I see that sign

sjr014
16-Oct-08, 21:50
Down at Swiney where the new drilling rig is lovely looking out to Scaraben and Morven then walk through the field looking out to the North Sea and the oil rigs then along the coast and down the hill to Lybster Harbour! Used to stay there and i used to walk there daily and blow away the cobwebs!

lynne duncan
16-Oct-08, 21:58
the view from my folks living room looking across killimster loch and beyond to see e hills beyond.
any beach
staxigoe harbour watching the bairns playing

sweetpea
16-Oct-08, 22:12
My places are the whaligoe steps, horses hole at latheron, hill o many stanes,camster cairns, rumster car park, thurso, ham and freswick harbours.

WeeBurd
16-Oct-08, 22:29
The view out over Loch Calder... holds memories throughtout my younger years, and we now take our kids there regularly. Absolutely gorgeous! :D

canuck
16-Oct-08, 22:40
There are a few kitchens/sitting rooms that are pretty special.

Bomber 1
16-Oct-08, 22:40
Sea views foem Reay Golf Course for me Dunnet Head next

zappster
16-Oct-08, 22:41
sittin at the bar in the queens hotel!!haha

sweetpea
16-Oct-08, 22:43
sittin at the bar in the queens hotel!!haha

thats not a view just a tormenting.

joxville
16-Oct-08, 23:12
The sign at the Ord telling me I'm back in God's Own Country.

Hopefully I'll be seeing it in a couple of weeks.

rockchick
17-Oct-08, 03:22
I used to enjoy the river walk in Thurso, before the bridge flooded out.

SNOWDOG
17-Oct-08, 09:41
Berriedale Braes and Latheronwheel Harbour! :)

carasmam
17-Oct-08, 09:50
Got to be Dunbeath Strath for me, one of the most beautiful and peaceful places in Caithness. :D

Oh and the beach that you can get to halfway up the Duncansbay lighthouse road :)

Thumper
17-Oct-08, 10:01
I love walking along the beach anywhere in Caithness,they are all beautiful but sadly most are quite messy nowadays :( I also love Dunnet forest,but again its been spoilt by all the dogmess,its a shame that such beautiful places are allowed to get so messy,shame on those who dont pick up after themselves....or their dogs x

brokencross
17-Oct-08, 10:14
I agree with Thumper. Anywhere along the shoreline.
It is so varied, golden sands, beautiful high cliffs, rocky foreshores, loads of little harbours and inlets. It has everything (including the weather sometimes)

youoldduffer
17-Oct-08, 11:42
Gotta be the rock's on the wick side, still enjoy walking along them seeing where i used to play wiv me mates.

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 17:12
Best place in Caithness is anywhere you can see those beautiful Wind turbines spinning away all white with a beautiful sheen off them, you just cant beat that sight os sheer beauty!
And that light burring noise is so relaxing its almost organic(or something similar sounding!!)

I want my own one but Council wont let me! ;)

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 17:13
Gotta be the rock's on the wick side, still enjoy walking along them seeing where i used to play wiv me mates.

I would be the opposite, the wee pools on the best(oops) sorry Pulteney side, played there with my mates for many a year when I was a small rod!

Whitewater
17-Oct-08, 20:59
Many beautiful places in Caithness, I'm not biased in favouring one place more than another as over the years I've been to so many different place all with their own particular appeal. Although I have lived here almost all of my life there are places where I have not managed to get to as yet, and others that I have passed through without having too close a look. But as I'm now retired I always tell myself I will visit them but somehow I have never managed it. Must get round to taking Mrs Whitewater out county tours at the weekend, there are so many nice places to stop for a picnic or just to sit and watch the sea. I guess we are getting too old for courting in the car now but you never know.

Bobinovich
17-Oct-08, 21:31
Must admit that Murkle's beaches hold many fond memories for me - swimming, groatie buckie collecting & community BBQs & games at the sandy beach; plus clambering over rocks, discovering the myriad life in the rock pools & just sitting watching the power of nature at the rocky beach.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Oct-08, 21:38
I love the Berriedale Braes.Somethin special aboot it.But another one for me,going in the Castletown road,with its rollercoaster road towards Thurso,the landscape is braw at its best.The turn of the coast is awesome.

Beat Bug
17-Oct-08, 21:39
Everywhere in Caithness is beautiful! That's why I came to live here! Shame it took a lifetime to find it though!!

jimag
17-Oct-08, 22:54
The view over Houstry towards the Mountains (Morven, Smean, Pap and the Scarabens) does it all for me. Wonderful school day memories.

TBH
17-Oct-08, 23:06
I would say that the most appealing feature of Caithness is the A9 south.
Seriously though, I would have to say that a day spent fishing at Loch Calder would be my favourite pass-time and place combined.

Tristan
18-Oct-08, 09:45
Peatlands or any of the coastal views.

youoldduffer
18-Oct-08, 12:40
I would be the opposite, the wee pools on the best(oops) sorry Pulteney side, played there with my mates for many a year when I was a small rod!

Ah but ya dont have a cave that monsters used to live in and ya had to dare each other as to how far ya could go in:).
I liked the OTHER side too(though not as much :D), used to muck about on thon grey things below the old coastguard's

Blondie
18-Oct-08, 13:08
Ah but ya dont have a cave that monsters used to live in and ya had to dare each other as to how far ya could go in:).
I liked the OTHER side too(though not as much :D), used to muck about on thon grey things below the old coastguard's

Aye but we had tetrapods on that side to play on too. Also a funny slide thing made of stone propped up by other stones across from Angie Rosies shop! :Razz

Blondie
18-Oct-08, 13:12
Oh and the pipes at the back of Nicolson/ Vansittart street! Crikey what memories! Anyone know if they're still there?

mccaugm
18-Oct-08, 19:06
My hubbie enlightens me that one pipe remains, the rest have been removed. Thats where he used to play as a child.

Blondie
18-Oct-08, 19:37
My hubbie enlightens me that one pipe remains, the rest have been removed. Thats where he used to play as a child.

I remember one of the boys used to have a pee in one of them often so that us girls wouldn't dare go near that particular pipe, lol. I can't for the life of me remember who it was though, lol.
Boys are so disgusting aren't they [lol]

Tristan
18-Oct-08, 21:08
I remember one of the boys used to have a pee in one of them often so that us girls wouldn't dare go near that particular pipe, lol. I can't for the life of me remember who it was though, lol.
What is even worse it looks like they still went in...grin

silverfox57
18-Oct-08, 21:14
no some boys are very nice little boys who use the toilet:lol:it when they grow up ,and get drunk that they are disgusting:eek:

silverfox57
18-Oct-08, 21:23
as a weeker it might seem strange but always find village of reay peaceful place.with great views of coast.

Ash
18-Oct-08, 21:26
i love thurso east.... dont know why but love it

gleeber
18-Oct-08, 21:51
The beach and the rocks in Thurso. They always remind me of time and how ultimately everything changes.

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 13:39
Oh and the pipes at the back of Nicolson/ Vansittart street! Crikey what memories! Anyone know if they're still there?

remember the "pipies" well used to "hing aboot" there all the time when I was younger.
Played "kick e cannie" many a time there!!! :)

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 13:41

I'll put my hands up and admit that as a Nipper I was known to "relieve" myself on a few occasions down said pipe!
It would take so long to get home so needs must,and it was a strange but satisfying feeling watching the little river that I created ;)

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 13:43

The only reason you had a monster in YOUR cave was because us Pulteneytooners would kick 7 bells out of it if it tried to live in OUR cave!!!!.
we were just too hard for monsters! ;)

That grey things I think were "floats" I used to muck about on them too, you never know we may have mucked aboot on them together!!!!

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 13:44
Aye but we had tetrapods on that side to play on too. Also a funny slide thing made of stone propped up by other stones across from Angie Rosies shop! :Razz

You mean the "stonies"?. Played leavo and Manhunt there many a time.
Do you also remember the "pancakes" opposite hughies shoppie?

Blondie
19-Oct-08, 16:02
Aw the pancakes! Crikey I forgot about them! My memory aint what it used to be, lol. I Played there often too.

Blondie
19-Oct-08, 16:04
I'll put my hands up and admit that as a Nipper I was known to "relieve" myself on a few occasions down said pipe!
It would take so long to get home so needs must,and it was a strange but satisfying feeling watching the little river that I created ;)

So it was you! :mad:

hotrod4
19-Oct-08, 16:13
So it was you! :mad:

Guilty as charged [lol]
But TBH I think every boy round that area was known to do it, so I wasnt alone ;)

Blondie
19-Oct-08, 16:18
Guilty as charged [lol]
But TBH I think every boy round that area was known to do it, so I wasnt alone ;)

Aye thats what they all say [lol]

floyed
19-Oct-08, 16:25
Staxigoe harbour:)

youoldduffer
19-Oct-08, 21:31
The only reason you had a monster in YOUR cave was because us Pulteneytooners would kick 7 bells out of it if it tried to live in OUR cave!!!!.
we were just too hard for monsters! ;)

That grey things I think were "floats" I used to muck about on them too, you never know we may have mucked aboot on them together!!!!

Lol yer the floats thats them, god i remember we hacked the insides out of one and attempted to sail it across the bay, I think someone eventually managed it as it appeared in e north baths either that or e tide.

Kenn
20-Oct-08, 11:12
Could n't identify a favourite place, just depends on my mood but top of the list or very close would be, Mey Beach,Sannick Bay,Scotland Haven,Westerdale and Braemore, Scrabster along with Lybster my two harbours and Dunnet Bay would be in there too along with the forest walks.

Tom Cornwall
20-Oct-08, 23:45
I like Lybster...down to Shelligoe...and off to the Harbour

andrew.bowles30
21-Oct-08, 13:53
all of caithness i lived in lybster owend the tea rooms so did not even see all caithness but am looking to move back soom as we miss it so much the poepole are great and welcome every one :Razz

Gizmo
21-Oct-08, 14:03
My back garden and the Gym at the swimming pool :D

wifie
21-Oct-08, 15:04
Every inch of it cos it is where I come from! If I have to pick one bit it will have to be overlooking Thurso bay but mostly from Thurso East especially when the big rollers are rollin! :)

oldmarine
22-Oct-08, 04:45
I enjoyed all of Caithness.

Average
22-Oct-08, 09:32
All of Caithness is lovely. Now that I no longer live there one of my favourite views is the 'Welcome to Caithness' sign at the ord - I always feel that I am home when I see that sign

I prefer to see the other side of that sign, lets me know I am getting nearer civilisation.

If i had to live in Caithness again though I would return to to Lybster. I miss living near the sea and the cliffs around Lybster-Occumster-Clyth and lovely. Great views south from the village too.

katarina
22-Oct-08, 10:07
would have to b e Stroma - where else?

JoeSoap
22-Oct-08, 21:00
The top of the list has to be the house I grew up in...

A close second:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/21/28850588_90df7a5491.jpg

Boozeburglar
22-Oct-08, 21:20
Just about everywhere there are now wind turbines used to be more beautiful.

percy toboggan
22-Oct-08, 21:27
I think Latheron Wheel harbour.

Please do not make me feel like a berk and tell me it's not far enough north to be in Caithness....I'm sure it is. It's a hauntingly beautiful, harsh, lonely place. That old roofless dwelling, those stacks of rock...I wish it were just up the road from me I'd be a frequent visitor. Contemplative visits...I'd even feel like smoking again. On the bike maybe, kick down the side stand and sit....listen to the wind, feel it blowing over my balding head - was better when I had thick hair but time moves on.