PDA

View Full Version : Confusing text message.

justine
16-Oct-08, 12:23
I bought a new phone of ebay many months ago, unlocked to any sim great bargain.
I decided as my last phone was on three to stay with that as i found it good for the money, cheap calls and txts.
Now yesterday i recieved this message.

"We're going to have to suspend your service in 5 days unless you switch your sim to a 3 mobile.Use of SIM with 2 g mobile is unauthorised as per T&C's."

I have no idea what it is about and i dont know the differences, i use my phone to call and txt take pics thats it. I dont understand the 2g mobile, Can someone help and maybe tell me whats going on.Is it the phone, the sim :(:(

Sapphire2803
16-Oct-08, 12:29
Not all phones are 3g compatible, it sounds as though the phone you are using is one of the ones that isn't. A 3 sim has to go in a 3g compatible phone, even though we don't actually have 3g up here.

If you get stuck I've got a motorola phone you are welcome to, you'll need a charger for it though.

justine
16-Oct-08, 12:50
Thanks for the offer Sapphire, but i like my phone, The fun with having an unlocked phone is i can change sim,:lol:

My phone is a sony ericsson k5501 plum, cybershot.

I am wondering if it may be the sim.I am gonna try and change the sim to another network although it wont take tesco for some unknown reason.

Saying all this looking through the specs of the phone i cant see any mention of 3g in the paperwork, so it may not be. Will try vodaphone or one of the others and see what happens.

Sapphire2803
16-Oct-08, 13:09
Well if the the phone is unlocked, but not 3g compatible you should be able to use any sim except 3...

Have fun :D

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 06:38
Thanks for the offer Sapphire, but i like my phone, The fun with having an unlocked phone is i can change sim,:lol:

My phone is a sony ericsson k5501 plum, cybershot.

I am wondering if it may be the sim.I am gonna try and change the sim to another network although it wont take tesco for some unknown reason.

Saying all this looking through the specs of the phone i cant see any mention of 3g in the paperwork, so it may not be. Will try vodaphone or one of the others and see what happens.

The K550 cybershot is not a 3G compatable phone and 3 insist that the phone is on 3G As 3 do not have their own 2G network and rely on O2 when the is no 3 signal availiable, this results in O2 charging 3 for this service. If you tried to use a 2G phone on 3 they would send you a text / letter reminding you of their terms and conditions.
Have found this a few times and it seems a tricky situation to be in as sometimes after this it wont accept any other sim, it seems to "lock" the phone up again.

If it wasnt unlocked with a manufacturers code but by someone with a data cable that can cause problems especially with 3 as they dont like people who move around networks.

Hope you get it sorted.