PDA

View Full Version : Where do you originate from?

paris
16-Jan-06, 01:54
Ok i suppose after posting my last entry on the immigration thread i should start this thread after suggesting it. So where do you originate from??

Me, well I'm half Irish, quarter English and quarter Scandinavian !

connieb19
16-Jan-06, 01:57
Ok i suppose after posting my last entry on the immigration thread i should start this thread after suggesting it. So where do you originate from??

Me, well I'm half Irish, quarter English and quarter Scandinavian !Im 100% Caithness born and bred. Unless having Stroma blood makes me an immigrant!!!!!:)

melted_wellie
16-Jan-06, 01:57

Me, well I'm half Irish, quarter English and quarter Scandinavian !im half scottish,half welsh, and quarter irish.OH and half stoopid

Gleber2
16-Jan-06, 01:58
100per cent Gleber.Scottish,English,Manx and Dutch.Go back to late 1600's in Caithness.

JAWS
16-Jan-06, 02:45
Lanky Mongrel. Both parents from Lancashire. One grandmother from Scouseland, Toxteth and an Evans to boot and christened Maria Lysette (French Connection). One grandfather from Gloucestershire. And a great great grandmother who was from Malta.
And if anybody tied me down I would have to admit that I was a pure bred Hooligan. :lol:
Oh yes. And an English Asylum Seeker to boot.

Fesman
16-Jan-06, 05:37
I am a third generation Kiwi (all 4 of my grandparents were born in NZ), however my ancestry is of English, Scots and French origins.

brandy
16-Jan-06, 08:25
im pure mutt being american.. but know that theres blackfoot indian.. and scot.. somewhere.. also have been told that i must have northern european because i developed polythysemia (think thats right) a blood condition during preg.. which evidently only northern europeans get ? *G*
but i was born and bred in north carolina..

cullbucket
16-Jan-06, 08:53
50% Caithness (Crosskirk)
25% Sutherland (Strath Halladale)
25% Speysige (Granton)

Loafer
16-Jan-06, 10:02
100% Thurso, born and bred, though I am researching my family tree and go back to Ireland, as far as 1691, to a wee place called Plumbridge in County Tyrone.

The Loafer

squidge
16-Jan-06, 11:07
Lancashire 100%

As lancashire as tater hash, donkey stones mill gates and ower gracie.

_Ju_
16-Jan-06, 11:07
1/2 dutch, 1/2 Portuguese, born in South Africa (lets say 25% South African), raised in Portugal (so 75% Portuguese), Lived in Netherland's, Denmark, England and Scotland for a while, so lets say 10% for each. Total???? I would say 230% world citizen, and glad to be it!

golach
16-Jan-06, 11:22
Born in Thurso, schooled mostly in Perthshire, eventually came ashore to settle down in Leith

krieve
16-Jan-06, 12:23
Born in Edinburgh moved here when i was 4, my grandads granny was born in Keiss and my grannys parents born in Lybster. My mothers family Edinburgh
so i guess that make half and half.

paris
16-Jan-06, 12:23
126 veiws, and only 11 replys. Shame on you for not posting !

DW
16-Jan-06, 12:28
126 veiws, and only 11 replys. Shame on you for not posting !
Who cares? :evil

badger
16-Jan-06, 13:36
Peking. But for a while I lived in your neck of the woods, Paris. Know Fishtoft (near Boston)?

DrSzin
16-Jan-06, 14:29
Mother from Tatooine, no father (virgin birth).

willowbankbear
16-Jan-06, 14:45
[

quote=DrSzin]Mother from Tatooine, no father (virgin birth).[/quote]Nice 1 drzin, we can rely on you for some humour man:lol: :lol: :lol:

katarina
16-Jan-06, 14:52
Half Irish, half Stroma. So I'm an immigrant to Wick.

porshiepoo
16-Jan-06, 14:56
Peking. But for a while I lived in your neck of the woods, Paris. Know Fishtoft (near Boston)?

Small world Badger, Fishtoft was just up the road from where I used to live in Boston, I had a horse for a while up at Marsh Farm. Whereabouts in Fishtoft were you from.

Sorry Paris had to ask, but I'll add my heritage too.
Born in England as was my mother and her family as far back as we can possibly go. My father is believed to have Irish parents, he was adopted and so thats all we know.

cuddlepop
16-Jan-06, 15:15
Mothers scottish,father from channel isles.His ancestors from Normandy in France and my mothers from outer isles(We think they were thrown out for sheep stealing....)
me I,m from cuddlepop a far and distant planet..where they speak muckinfuddle....

paris
16-Jan-06, 15:15
Small world this is, yes i know fishtoft its about 2 miles from me if that and as porshie just wrote,she was even closer. im in wyberton if you remember that.

JAWS
16-Jan-06, 15:21
Mothers scottish,father from channel isles.His ancestors from Normandy in France and my mothers from outer isles(We think they were thrown out for sheep stealing....)
me I,m from cuddlepop a far and distant planet..where they speak muckinfuddle....
Sheep stealing, cuddlepop? Stranded from the Spanish Armada sounds much more exciting. (Well, if the English gentleman James Bond can change into an immortal Spanish Gentleman with that accent, why not?) :lol:

badger
16-Jan-06, 16:37
Small world Badger, Fishtoft was just up the road from where I used to live in Boston, I had a horse for a while up at Marsh Farm. Whereabouts in Fishtoft were you from.

I was only 10 when we lived there and that was too many years ago to admit here. In fact our old home doesn't exist any more (the old rectory) as it was demolished years ago.
Yes, Paris, I remember the name Wyberton. A friend of my mother's still lives in Fishtoft - she must be 90 now and has lived in her present house all her life. Comes from a gypsy family and is a tiny little lady sitting by the fire doing embroidery and looked after by family nearby.
Wonder how many people have origins like that? I've moved so often I sometimes think it must be wonderful to just stay in one place - real home.

willowbankbear
16-Jan-06, 16:47
Yellowstone park, where most of the Bears come from:grin: :grin: Nah, not really just plain boring Wonderful Wick(allegedely)[evil]

katarina
16-Jan-06, 17:24
so most of us can claim to be mongrels then?

paris
16-Jan-06, 17:42
Ive been to crufts once, does that still make me a mongrel? ha ha

landmarker
16-Jan-06, 17:54
Maternal grandparents descended from Scottish border folk and well to do Salford drapers - my Great Grandfather was cast out from the fold - the black sheep of the family.

Paternally descended from Shropshire agricultural labourers and shoe makers.

Father settled here after being billeted near M/Cr airport during WW2, where he met me Mam.

I consider myself a citizen (not subject) of Britain, and that includes Scotland and Wales. Some might have different ideas but I consider it my right to settle anywhere on this island. No-one can be truly sure of where they have come from, though I can say with certaintly where I am going, eventually.

phoenix
16-Jan-06, 18:16
I really dont know:confused........... I think Im an Alien from another Planet..........I wanna go home:~(:cry::cry:

rich62_uk
16-Jan-06, 18:32
Rich.
Grandparents Scotland and Jerusalem respectively parents Lincoln and Norwich
I am from Norwich.
Trish.
I am from Bow East London so was my parents grandparents great grandparents etc.
:D

rich62_uk
16-Jan-06, 18:38
I really dont know:confused........... I think Im an Alien from another Planet..........I wanna go home:~(:cry::cry:

I believe we have your children phoenix you can beam them up as you fly past....

Rheghead
16-Jan-06, 18:46
I am from England.

Then I can claim duel countyship with Lancashire and Cumbria when it suits me. I was born in Ulverston which became a part of Cumbria in 1972. To narrow it down further, I am from 'South Ulverston' which is not in the South of the Town but the East.:Razz

My wife is Scottish, who thinks that marrying a Scot gives Englishmen their Scottish residency rights. I just think that I am taking advantage of laxidazical immigration rules.:p
But if the pitchfork mob are seen heading my way then I'll get the message[smirk]

gleeber
16-Jan-06, 18:51
Well, around 14 billion years ago there was this big bang and here I am via the Glebe.

peedie man
16-Jan-06, 18:56
im half Canisbay and half Stroma = a Weeker noo

connieb19
16-Jan-06, 19:07
im half Canisbay and half Stroma = a Weeker nooThere seems to be a few of us that are half Stroma.. :)
Does that make us immigrants or not??:confused:

BustedShoe2
16-Jan-06, 19:16
Lancashire 100%

As lancashire as tater hash, donkey stones mill gates and ower gracie.

I'm from Bradford, West Yorkshire... You wanna join me in celebrating Yorkshire Day this year Squidge? :grin:

Tugmistress
16-Jan-06, 19:31
Born in Liverpool (moved out at 6 weeks old apparently) brought up in Beverley in East Yorkshire, moved from there aged 21ish spent 6 months near Stoke on Trent, then 7 years in Derby, 5 years in a small East Yorkshire village halfway between Bridlington & Hull called Beeford, a year in Hull itself then I came to this paradise :)
After I moved up here I found out that my nanas nana was born on Hoy!

teddybear1873
16-Jan-06, 19:48
i'm 100% caithness born an bred..my mothers side came from Dunnet and Stroma, on my dads side they came from Lyth and the Groats area. Did a bit of research about 2 years ago on Scotlands people website, got back to about the mid 1700's, they were still breeding in Caithness.

lassieinfife
16-Jan-06, 19:57
im a right heinz57[smirk] .....mum from inverness , dad from dundee....mums parents from latheron and edinbrugh/ireland , dads parents dundee/ireland/greenock....... no wonder im a bit mental lol:confused:

marion
16-Jan-06, 20:23
Both parents German.

Sporran
16-Jan-06, 20:41
My parents are from the North East of Scotland, and we moved to Caithness when I was little. I have great-grandparents who were from North East Scotland too, as well as Inverness, Stirlingshire and the Scottish Borders.

garycs
16-Jan-06, 21:33
Born in Leigh, Lancashire. Mum's side were wooly-backs from Warrington; Dad's side Scottish, a mixture of Islay and Northern Sutherland.

Doolally
16-Jan-06, 23:45
100% Caithness - Wick, Keiss and Staxigoe blood!

Fran
17-Jan-06, 00:29
i was born in london, lived in london, singapore, hong kong, egypt,cyprus, austria,Essex and caithness. my mother was from near Bettyhill, as was her mother and her father from fraserburgh. My father was born in york, his mother was spannish and his father was from the Philippines, so i think i am a Heinz 57.

paris
17-Jan-06, 03:17
I know i said what i said in the first post but i originate from Kent in other words that's where i grew up . I was adopted and my adopted family.. grandmother was from Paris grandfather was from worthing Sussex. It gets a bit confusing sometimes.

JAWS
17-Jan-06, 03:38
Paris, look on the bright side, it could have been Essex. :)

scotsboy
17-Jan-06, 09:24
Grandmother (Mothers Side) Shore Street, Thurso
Grandfather (Mothers Side) Scarfskerry
Grandmother (Fathers Side) Buckie
Grandfather (Fathers Side Buckie

paris
17-Jan-06, 10:51
Very true Jaws, Very true.

Julia
17-Jan-06, 12:00
My mother is from Wick, Father and his family from Lybster, Marternal Grandfather was born in Canisbay and my Grandmother was born in Derbyshire. I was born in Wick

Whitewater
17-Jan-06, 12:07
Mother from Tatooine, no father (virgin birth).

Briliant!!!! and you being a follower of Dawkins and doubting the birth of Jesus. Tut Tut !!! You never know DrZin you could be the next Messiah for Dawkins to question. ha ha.

I myself was born and bred in Thurso form old Norman and Viking stock, I now live in Wick. Wonder what that makes me???

Sketch
17-Jan-06, 22:27
Paris: So you are a fellow Lincolnshire resident then? myself and my partner are originally from Lincolnshire. Which part you living in? We come from N.E And into horses as well! very small world! Are you In Lincolnshire now then or Caithness?

Tracey

Sandra
17-Jan-06, 22:33
I was born in Berkshire, which turned into Oxfordshire due to boundary changes.

Parents are from Newcastle and Hull.

Ancesters, on father's side (mother is adopted so have no information) originated from somewhere in France and settled somewhere in Scotland. Then eventually trickled down to Northumberland.

katarina
17-Jan-06, 23:25
There seems to be a few of us that are half Stroma.. :)
Does that make us immigrants or not??:confused:

Definately - since we come from over the watter! And after all they are a breed apart. Part viking and part spanish (the armada shipwrecked there once)

connieb19
17-Jan-06, 23:27
Definately - since we come from over the watter! And after all they are a breed apart. Part viking and part spanish (the armada shipwrecked there once)I don't know the history but I would love to find out.. do you have any info? :D

Wizzbang
17-Jan-06, 23:51
Moved up in 82 to work at dounreay and never managed the bus fair back.

paris
18-Jan-06, 00:04
Paris: So you are a fellow Lincolnshire resident then? myself and my partner are originally from Lincolnshire. Which part you living in? We come from N.E And into horses as well! very small world! Are you In Lincolnshire now then or Caithness?

Tracey

Hi there Sketch, yes I'm in Linc's now , lived a year in lybster but came back 17 months ago as we have grown-up sons here. We had horses in lybster and 5 before we moved there but don't have any now, haven't got the space

Fran
18-Jan-06, 02:04
Paris, look on the bright side, it could have been Essex. :)
..................and whats wrong with Essex..!!!!!!!!!!

squidge
18-Jan-06, 11:11
I'm from Bradford, West Yorkshire... You wanna join me in celebrating Yorkshire Day this year Squidge? :grin:

Yorkshire day???????

whats that then? 1st of April:p

Im reliably informed that i am actually scottish these days - i can even roll my "r"s and Scotland is surely where my heart is - rochdale seems a long way away and shortly i wont have any family there at all any more -no reason to visit even. hmm now that feels a bit funny to be honest:confused

rich62_uk
18-Jan-06, 11:34

Where shall I start .........Trish. ;)

weeboyagee
18-Jan-06, 18:20
whats that then? 1st of April?
You making a "fool" of my birthday?? :p

Edinburgh born (to be a Jambo), moved eleven times since I was born (makes me a gypsy), father Caithnessian, Mother fae Penicuik, Grandmothers from Wick and Bo'ness, Grandfathers fae Wick and Glencourse, Great-grandfather came over on the cattle boat from Ireland, landed in Stranraer (after a guid bevvy), didn't return and thus without that, I widna be here! :D

weeboyagee
18-Jan-06, 18:27
I am from England.
Nuff said!! :eyes

My wife is Scottish Redeemed!! ;)

JAWS
19-Jan-06, 23:20
Sorry Fran, I missed that one.
I was just thinking of the poor lassie suffering from all the "Essex Girl" jokes.
I don't think I would wish that on anybody! :lol:

Alli
19-Jan-06, 23:25
Fars all e weekers? Is nobody a pure bred Weeker? Come on far e all hiding? Or hev e left me all on ma ane till go an live elswhere?

Kenn
19-Jan-06, 23:41
I originate from Cornwall my family have been there for generations earliest recorded 1341 AD but we may have links to Brittany before that,my husband is Sussex born and bred but can trace his ancestry back through the Normans to Orkney and Norway.

peter macdonald
20-Jan-06, 17:27
Alli Im fae the "Backside" opposite Skinners buildings round the corner from Ducksie,,,,,I used to play football in the street in FancyTart street outside the Royal ..get chips from John Cormacks , go up to Emmas on a Friday night for penny carmels,eat butcher meat from Hughinas, and get parafin out of tin whistlies back shed etc
I was going to post this earlier but who on this list would know what the £$%$ I was talking about
Och and Jessie Clyne had the best mince pies in Pultney

landmarker
20-Jan-06, 18:28
Alli Im fae the "Backside" opposite Skinners buildings round the corner from Ducksie,,,,,I used to play football in the street in FancyTart street outside the Royal ..get chips from John Cormacks , go up to Emmas on a Friday night for penny carmels,eat butcher meat from Hughinas, and get parafin out of tin whistlies back shed etc
I was going to post this earlier but who on this list would know what the £$%$ I was talking about
Och and Jessie Clyne had the best mince pies in Pultney

Are there more incomers than 'weekers' on the board then, or just a vocal minority?
Interesting if so.

Bobinovich
20-Jan-06, 18:49
Parents & backwards were/are all sassenachs but I was born in Spain. Moved here via Stornoway, Stamford (Lincs) & Sheffield. (I think my Mam liked the letter S!!!).

Caithness has been home for 27 years and that's the way it'll stay.

phoenix
20-Jan-06, 19:07
Fars all e weekers? Is nobody a pure bred Weeker? Come on far e all hiding? Or hev e left me all on ma ane till go an live elswhere?

Hi Alli Im one of them "pure born and bred Weekers"![smirk] As far as I know Parents, Grandparents, Great Grandparents etc were all from different parts of Caithness.:o)Me I was born in the Old Henderson Memorial Nursing Home.........a long time ago now:roll:

I must admit I was beginning to feel that the boards had been taken over by "Incomers"......... where are all the Weekers?:(

connieb19
20-Jan-06, 19:36
Hi Alli Im one of them "pure born and bred Weekers"![smirk] As far as I know Parents, Grandparents, Great Grandparents etc were all from different parts of Caithness.:o)Me I was born in the Old Henderson Memorial Nursing Home.........a long time ago now:roll:

I must admit I was beginning to feel that the boards had been taken over by "Incomers"......... where are all the Weekers?:(All my parents, grand parents and great grandparents were from Stroma/Caithness too!! So I class myself as a pure Weeker too!! I've never even been in England

phoenix
20-Jan-06, 19:47
All my parents, grand parents and great grandparents were from Stroma/Caithness too!! So I class myself as a pure Weeker too!! I've never even been in England

Whey Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!:Razz Theres more of us.............Ive been to England, passed through it twice on route to France, not surprised really that theres so many of them moving up here. I would too if I was them! [smirk]Was in Leeds once ............not my cuppa tea.........too much of everything there, I prefer the quiet life.;)

connieb19
20-Jan-06, 19:53
Whey Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!:Razz Theres more of us.............Ive been to England, passed through it twice on route to France, not surprised really that theres so many of them moving up here. I would too if I was them! [smirk]Was in Leeds once ............not my cuppa tea.........too much of everything there, I prefer the quiet life.;)I can hardly manage to cross the road in Inverness, never mind anywhere bigger or busier..lol :Razz

cullbucket
20-Jan-06, 19:58
Landmarker, you don't have to be from week to be from caithness.....there are other parts of the coonty.

phoenix
20-Jan-06, 20:46
I can hardly manage to cross the road in Inverness, never mind anywhere bigger or busier..lol :Razz

Know what you mean connie19:RazzIts them escalators in them big stores that I cant handle, they frighten me to death, Ill bet people look at me and think I know where shes from.:p I only ever go in so far in the big stores, I need to know where the door is so I can always find my way oot........petrified I am in anywhere thats bigger than "Week":~(

landmarker
20-Jan-06, 21:18
Landmarker, you don't have to be from week to be from caithness.....there are other parts of the coonty.

Fair comment cullbucket. I expect there are even rivalries (friendly I hope ) between weekers, and the more rural pockets, and Thurso. Incidentally, what does one call a native of Thurso? A Thursovian?

Alice in Blunderland
20-Jan-06, 21:18
father Caithnessian, Mother fae Penicuik, Grandmothers from Wick and Bo'ness, Grandfathers fae Wick and Glencourse, Great-grandfather came over on the cattle boat from Ireland, landed in Stranraer (after a guid bevvy), didn't return and thus without that, I widna be here! :D
Me too.......

Alice in Blunderland
20-Jan-06, 21:25
Incidentally, what does one call a native of Thurso? A Thursovian?
I have no idea how to spell this but folk from Thurso are supposed to be called 'teen a bowlers' someone local help me out with the spelling please.I was told its because they drink their tea from a bowl???

connieb19
20-Jan-06, 21:26
I have no idea how to spell this but folk from Thurso are supposed to be called 'teen a bowlers' someone local help me out with the spelling please.I was told its because they drink their tea from a bowl???I think i's teenabowlie :D

cullbucket
20-Jan-06, 22:11
landmarker, afraid we're Thursoers, nothing so exotic
There is a definate rivalry, mainly between Thurso and Week which has been done to death in other threads... They think we're posh and we think they're - "dirdy" as I have been told before although its commonly said as "dirty weekers" in response I'm told we are "teanabowlies"
The banter is mostly in jest these days especially for me, but if I went through to week in my teenage years for a night oot I was liable to get some kind of bother.
In the school days (80s) the hardest in wick and thurso high schools used to meet in castletown for running battles (or so I heard at the time - I never witnessed any of this, being too busy at home, trying not to spill my tea oot my bowl onto my cravat and modelling my new cummerbund in the mirror)

landmarker
20-Jan-06, 22:21
In the school days (80s) the hardest in wick and thurso high schools used to meet in castletown for running battles (or so I heard at the time - I never witnessed any of this, being too busy at home, trying not to spill my tea oot my bowl onto my cravat and modelling my new cummerbund in the mirror)

Funny.
I'm genuinely interested in this. It's a bit like Manchester and Liverpool, although there is obvious football rivalry it spills over into other areas.

Okay, Wick was built on Fish. What made Thurso grow? Obviously it was sizeable before Dounreay?? Isn't it strange how the smallest geographical seperation can cause the human spirit to get niggardly and mean.
Also!: Is there (to locals) any discernible difference between a Wick & Thurso accent?

connieb19
20-Jan-06, 22:26
Funny.
I'm genuinely interested in this. It's a bit like Manchester and Liverpool, although there is obvious football rivalry it spills over into other areas.

Okay, Wick was built on Fish. What made Thurso grow? Obviously it was sizeable before Dounreay?? Isn't it strange how the smallest geographical seperation can cause the human spirit to get niggardly and mean.
Also!: Is there (to locals) any discernible difference between a Wick & Thurso accent?There is a definite difference in the accents.. You can tell as soon as you hear someone speak whether they are from thurso or Wick!!;)

cullbucket
20-Jan-06, 22:31
I think the wick accent is generally stronger and there are more wickers with strong accents than in thurso (sweeping statement alert) as it is less diluted by non native caithnesians. Before Dounreay Thurso was very small.....

Oddquine
20-Jan-06, 23:59
I can't say I've noticed any difference in the accent between different areas...........everybody sounds like my maternal grandparents. :o

My antecedents are....... maternal..........Caithness back to 1750s so far........paternal.......Inverness/Inverness-shire back to about tthe same time.

Father met mother when he was up protecting Wick Airport(single-handedly :roll:) in the RA during the war. I was born and brought up in Morayshire, myself.

airdlass
21-Jan-06, 01:07
I was born in Wick,moved to Tongue when I was about 2, mother's from Wick,father's from Skerray.

katarina
22-Jan-06, 14:47
I don't know the history but I would love to find out.. do you have any info? :D

If you have WARES in your family tree, then you are descended from the Spanish. It was origonally pronounced WARRIS, in Stroma it used to be pronounced Warse, but changed over the years I suspect to make it sound more british. the viking connection is very well documented in the Stroma Book.

JAWS
22-Jan-06, 15:12
Given the distances isn't that strange but...
when one considers Manchester & Liverpool maybe not.
How insular these communities must have been in decades past.

There are several distinct accents within the Manchester area itself !
Can anybody outside the Wigan/Leigh area understand a word they say if they have a strong local accent?
I once saw an old boy from Wigan interviewed on the local TV Channel and (I'm serious) they had to put Sub-Titles on.

It wasn't so much an accent as a dialect, almost verging on a different language.
Unfortunately such things are being deliberately killed off by Modern Education demanding "Standard English", which is merely a particular dialect forced on everybody else, and the Media which tries to instil "Received Pronunciation" (Talk Wot We Talk Like) as the only "correct" accent.

People from the Regions go to the big Media Centres and their local accents are beaten out of them in much the same way as Welsh children used to be beaten if they were caught daring to speak in Welsh a hundred years ago.

Soon you will all be speaking in the same boring bland language in the same boring bland accent uttering the same boring bland platitudes or you will be sent to the same boring bland adult education retraining centre for the same boring bland lessons in language that you fell asleep in during your youth.

scrapydoo
22-Jan-06, 15:26
I come from swona

domino
06-Apr-08, 20:01
If you have WARES in your family tree, then you are descended from the Spanish. It was origonally pronounced WARRIS, in Stroma it used to be pronounced Warse, but changed over the years I suspect to make it sound more british. the viking connection is very well documented in the Stroma Book.
Have heard about the Spanish connection (Juarez) but,as yet, have fnot found any proof to back it up. Could be quite nice if true

lassieinfife
06-Apr-08, 20:21
Born in Inverness,add a big dollop Irish and a pinch of dundee and a great dash of Caithness:lol:

katarina
13-Apr-08, 10:22
I come from swona

Do you really? Rosies were the last family there but didn't have any bairns that i know of.

Lolabelle
13-Apr-08, 11:02
Irish/Danish on Dads side, German/English on Mums.
Born and still in Australia. But heading your way some year soon.

anneoctober
13-Apr-08, 16:20
Born in Liverpool (moved out at 6 weeks old apparently) brought up in Beverley in East Yorkshire, moved from there aged 21ish spent 6 months near Stoke on Trent, then 7 years in Derby, 5 years in a small East Yorkshire village halfway between Bridlington & Hull called Beeford, a year in Hull itself then I came to this paradise :)
After I moved up here I found out that my nanas nana was born on Hoy!
It took you a wee whilie Tugs, - but welcome home !! :D

Poultney lad
13-Apr-08, 20:41
Born In Poultney The Best Place

dunderheed
14-Apr-08, 11:49
the best way to tell the difference between a teenabowlie and a dirdy weeker is that the weeker has 6 fingers (makes it easier for them to play the banjo). alledgedly.:lol: myself im just a whitesettler (so im told by my weeker wife) family tree? born and bred in ayrshire ,
grandfather(mothers side) hopeman(aberdeenshire?)
grandmother(mothers side) hurlford(ayrshire)
grandfather (fathers side) townhead (glasgow - ulster decendant)
grandmother(fathers side) stewarton(ayrshire)

miranda
14-Apr-08, 19:05
great grand parents -ireland
grandparents/ parents -dundee
me- born in dundee..moved to fife... moved here to wick..19 yrs ago:lol:

dirdyweeker
14-Apr-08, 22:46
I am a dirdyweeker!
Parents both Wickers.
Paternal grandmother Stornoway!but paternal grandfather Weeker.
Maternal grandmother Dunbeath, maternal grandfather Week.

Originally related to Duncan 1, King of Scotland, 1004 - 1040

Razz
15-Apr-08, 15:26
heinz 57.
Part english, scottish, german and romany, who according to my mother orignated from spain.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
15-Apr-08, 15:40
I'm an Ayrshire man.Married to a Wick woman,both sons are Wick born.I was told the other day I'm a whitesettler.I never settled anywhere,I arrived in Caithness and plan to grow auld in Caithness.Met too many friends up here not to.

TBH
15-Apr-08, 15:49
I'm an Ayrshire man.Married to a Wick woman,both sons are Wick born.I was told the other day I'm a whitesettler.I never settled anywhere,I arrived in Caithness and plan to grow auld in Caithness.Met too many friends up here not to.Dinna mention white settler, they get a bit uppity about it in these parts.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
15-Apr-08, 15:58
Dinna mention white settler, they get a bit uppity about it in these parts.

TBH,ma fellow compadre Dunderheed brought it up before me.We don't quote each other very often,its not the way of Ammies and Killie trivia.The thing I love about domino's post is it brought a long lost thread into todays.A lot of folk who had a good laugh,but who's humour was lost.Don't believe me?Look back at the posts,what a brilliant thread this was.I feel gutted cos i lost this one.It took me two years to answer.:D

cd1977
15-Apr-08, 16:12
Thurso aka Teenabowlaland, is chock full of "white settlers"

When Dounreay is finished Thurso = ghost town.

Week is the place to be :cool:

rich
15-Apr-08, 16:20
Reading all this I am surprised at the reproductive capacity of people from Stroma.
Perhaps there is a Stroma gene.
My family is a shambles. My paternal grandma was Australian. I have seen a family letter from Sidney in the late 19th century bringing a tale of woe about how the Irish were violating the Sabbath by drinking and dancing. (More power to you, lads!)
On my mum's side my grand-dad (English)was the rat poison king of the UK. He had some sort of a monopoly on Warfarin - a blood thinner. The poor wee rats just bled to death.
This however had a bad effect on the environment with all manner of animal and bird life keeling over with hemorrhages.
So he got out of that and into manufacturing a product that kept mince a nice red colour. This also had a bad effect on most forms of life. So he was banned again, only to find a thriving market for his product in Australia.
Finally he invented a compound that the British army poured down the barrels of their rifles to keep them from rusting. The railway companies were big clients because it added to the lifespan of those old industrial batteries with the long rods.
Finally a word to our Edinburgh orgers - do any of you remember the Waverley chemists up behind the post office at the East End - it did a very brisk trade in condoms. Yoiu could have called my Grand dad the condom king of Edinburgh.
Unfortunately all of this entrepurnal genius was not passed down to the rest of us - except for a cousin who became a major importer of recreational chemicals and duly ended up in a Greek jail. (He imported all these cheap statues of Greek Gods with the insides hollowed out to contain his pharmaceutical contraband.)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
15-Apr-08, 16:39
Reading all this I am surprised at the reproductive capacity of people from Stroma.
Perhaps there is a Stroma gene.
My family is a shambles. My paternal grandma was Australian. I have seen a family letter from Sidney in the late 19th century bringing a tale of woe about how the Irish were violating the Sabbath by drinking and dancing. (More power to you, lads!)
On my mum's side my grand-dad (English)was the rat poison king of the UK. He had some sort of a monopoly on Warfarin - a blood thinner. The poor wee rats just bled to death.
This however had a bad effect on the environment with all manner of animal and bird life keeling over with hemorrhages.
So he got out of that and into manufacturing a product that kept mince a nice red colour. This also had a bad effect on most forms of life. So he was banned again, only to find a thriving market for his product in Australia.
Finally he invented a compound that the British army poured down the barrels of their rifles to keep them from rusting. The railway companies were big clients because it added to the lifespan of those old industrial batteries with the long rods.
Finally a word to our Edinburgh orgers - do any of you remember the Waverley chemists up behind the post office at the East End - it did a very brisk trade in condoms. Yoiu could have called my Grand dad the condom king of Edinburgh.
Unfortunately all of this entrepurnal genius was not passed down to the rest of us - except for a cousin who became a major importer of recreational chemicals and duly ended up in a Greek jail. (He imported all these cheap statues of Greek Gods with the insides hollowed out to contain his pharmaceutical contraband.)

Condoms.......man this place has changed oor Willowbankbear got a two week ban for this two years ago for mentioning the word.Times they are a changing ...copyright Bob Dillon

rich
15-Apr-08, 16:52
Well, it looks if the secret is out....

Cedric Farthsbottom III
15-Apr-08, 17:02
Well, it looks if the secret is out....

Naw the secret isnae out rich.Cos ye feel for this mediocre wee space that i do.A messageboard,within the kingdom of a fabulous site.:D

golach
15-Apr-08, 19:14

Rich, as an adopted Edinburganzian, I beg to differ with your location of the Chemists, it would be difficult for it to be located behind the Post Office, the only thing behind the Post Office, is a big drop down into Waverley Railway Station.
The location of the Surgical Supply shop was well known to all males in Edinburgh, it was located in West Register St, very near to the Café Royal bar, another similar shop strangely enough was located just across the Street from St Marys Cathedral the main Catholic Cathedral of Edinburgh.

rich
15-Apr-08, 19:31
You are right of course. I was confusing it with the records building behind the Duke of Wellington. Is that close enough to Register street?

golach
15-Apr-08, 19:36
Rich, you got that in one, the Chemist shop was very near the Penny Black bar where a lot of Postmen went, just next to New Register House which is next door to Register House, where we keep the Scottish Archives,

karia
15-Apr-08, 21:44
Grand!:D

I love it when a story comes together.;)

the_count
15-Apr-08, 21:50
do you mean family roots? if soo ha would make me irish/spanish/english/welsh gawd what a mix but i was born in bedford

sweetpea
15-Apr-08, 22:01
I was born and bred in Inverness. My nana's family came over from Ireland, what was left off them after some went to America. Other than that I'm not sure.

Fran
16-Apr-08, 02:28
I'm a true cockney but brought up in singapore. Mother comes from Skerray near Bettyhill and my father came from York from spanish parents.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Apr-08, 02:49
Thurso aka Teenabowlaland, is chock full of "white settlers"

When Dounreay is finished Thurso = ghost town.

Week is the place to be :cool:

Not that am trying to drop you in it or anything, but I wonder if you'll get a slap on the wrists from the Mods for WS term? I did. Though, like yourself, presented it in such a context (i.e. a humourous, light-hearted one) it would pose no direct offense to those of whom it is pointed at. I should know, my immediate family are such.

tisme
16-Apr-08, 08:11
I too am half stroma, the other half bowermadden. My father used to always call my my mum the pirate coz she came over in a boat! But all us kids (the youngest now 42:lol:)were born in Wick so I class myself as a Wicker. I think there is a deffinate difference between Wick and Thurso accents. The Wick accent is way more coorse, as they say[lol]

Loch not Lock
16-Apr-08, 08:57
I was brought up in Scotscalder but my dad's family came from Stroma. Don't know the whole history and my dad has passed on.

STUDMUFFIN
16-Apr-08, 09:14
I Was Born In Lancaster Then Lived In Morecambe , Lancashire For 20 Years Then Lived In Newton Stewart ,wigtownshire Then Discovered Caithness And Now No More Moving. Yahoo

Oddquine
16-Apr-08, 10:13
Dunderheed........Hopeman is in Morayshire.

In my Sunday School days, it was where we went for our annual picnic from Forres....all of ten miles or so.

dunderheed
16-Apr-08, 11:01
cheers for that oddquine, i knew it was out that way somewhere, but wasnt sure where moray ended and aberdeenshire started

dunderheed
16-Apr-08, 16:01
ah cedric, not wanting to open a can of worms but should you still be the ammies now you play in the junior league;)

Anne x
17-Apr-08, 00:13
Not that am trying to drop you in it or anything, but I wonder if you'll get a slap on the wrists from the Mods for WS term? I did. Though, like yourself, presented it in such a context (i.e. a humourous, light-hearted one) it would pose no direct offense to those of whom it is pointed at. I should know, my immediate family are such.

Funny that !!! So did I get wrapped over the knuckles as mine was in context and did not want to cause offence maybe rules for some Mmmm

cd1977
17-Apr-08, 09:00
Get over yersels, the pair of ye's.

The reason the term is in inverted commas is because it was used earlier in the thread :roll:.

Of course "not that you are trying to drop me in it or anything" by highlighting my entire post.

Cattach
17-Apr-08, 10:02
Well, around 14 billion years ago there was this big bang and here I am via the Glebe.

And the Glebe still looks as though it has not recovered from the big bang!!

Anne x
18-Apr-08, 00:25
Get over yersels, the pair of ye's.

The reason the term is in inverted commas is because it was used earlier in the thread :roll:.

Of course "not that you are trying to drop me in it or anything" by highlighting my entire post.

As If !!! why would one want to do that ?
but whats good for the goose is good for the gander
why make a difference in any posts
surely a rule is a rule Whatever !!!
no highlighting required :roll:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Apr-08, 16:11
ah cedric, not wanting to open a can of worms but should you still be the ammies now you play in the junior league;)

Yer right.I forgot we got promoted after ma grand tour of Scotland.Ah bliss to have a guy to slap ye around the lug noo and again and say catch up wi things.:lol:

paris
19-Apr-08, 10:09
I sure do badger and so does porshiepoo, thats where she lived before moving up there . Im in wyberton jan x

waresboy
20-Jul-08, 07:20
my dad was born and bred in thurso,although i was born in edinburgh,and reside in aviemore,my dad is george wares,has 2 brothers john wares(was a copper in wick for years,and is back staying there)and norman wares,although i never met my dads dad,he died before i was born,i understand he had a bus service in thurso,he remarried and jessie stayed in thurso for years until she died in the 90,s i used to visit her a lot,my aunt rita lived at rowanlea in castletown,until she died years ago,the same house is still in the family with my cousin fiona wares(shes married to hamish bremner now)living there

percy toboggan
20-Jul-08, 08:38
..I was always told 'Mummies tummy'
It was parked up in Wythenshawe at the time I think,
the largest local authority housing estate in Europe c.1950.

northener
20-Jul-08, 09:40
Mainly Yorkshire + Scots on my fathers' mothers side + german (in the distant past - she has a german surname) on my mums side.

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-08, 10:52
Blaentillery , Cwmtillery, Abertillery ,Gwent, South Wales.

teenybash
20-Jul-08, 11:09
Scottish born.....but all Irish.............