PDA

View Full Version : Photos in Courier and Groat?

Westsider3
16-Oct-08, 10:26
As a parent of a child in a local school, I just wondered how it is that it is always a Wick Primary School that gets their photos in colour on the front page of either of our local papers. Several other schools have had photos submitted for publishing but have only made it in black and white and inside the paper. I don't grudge this school their front page coverage as I know they do a fantastic job but it would be nice to see other schools getting that spot ocassionally. I wonder who decides what goes where and what is so important for front page coverage?

EmZ
16-Oct-08, 11:25
i go 2 wick high school, and as a pupil i would like my photos in colour 2...:lol:......

Alice in Blunderland
16-Oct-08, 12:13
Is it a case of editors desicion is final.
I would guess that Wick schools have a larger number of kids ..........................
so more mums and dads relatives will spot the picture of their angel and buy a copy to take home. Selling more papers?? :lol: only a guess. ;)

Blondie
16-Oct-08, 12:34
yeah but what she is saying is that a certain school always seems to have colour photos compared to other schools that dont, I think anyway?

I would guess that the school is Hillhead Primary.

Blondie
16-Oct-08, 12:39
I would say it is just a case of Hillhead Primary doing so much stuff with the kids so they are in the paper more than other schools perhaps?

The latest was the Name the flag Competition which I thought was a fantastic idea.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Oct-08, 12:39
yeah but what she is saying is that a certain school always seems to have colour photos compared to other schools that dont, I think anyway?

I would guess that the school is Hillhead Primary.

Oh :confused oops didnt realise that.

Westsider3
16-Oct-08, 12:58
I toally agree Hillhead Primary do a fantastic job! They seem to have fantastic ideas and involve their community at every opportunity. Indeed I would have been delighted had my child lived in the catchment area for Hillhead. Unfortunately we don't.

The point I am making is that for other schools doing their thing and for the children who are participating in the events, it would be nice for them to have their photo on the front cover or at least in colour ocassionally. I'm sure that many people are noticing how often Hillhead appear on the front page in colour. Certainly parents at my child's school have noticed. I don't know if they have strong connections to the paper or is it just coincidence?

John Baikie
16-Oct-08, 13:12
As a photographer - my take on it is that Hillhead school always supply good quality pictures. The trend amongst most schools now is to take their own pictures using school cameras - not sure why they have gone that way. I used to regularly get asked to photograph events at local schools, but it's becoming much less now. Even my local school don't ask any more. I don't charge for attending these things so it's not a cost issue. I think they overlook PR a fair bit, then it's an afterthought in many cases.

If a picture is going to make front page it usually needs to be good quality and ideally colourful and eye-catching. Hillhead always have nice images and they just seem better at promoting themselves. Their head teacher (I think) takes pictures for them and he's a good photographer.

So - no bias or anything to do with numbers as far as I can see, just better quality.

Westsider3
16-Oct-08, 13:33
That's interesting to know John, thank you. I'll certainly pass on that info to my local school and Parent Council. I think we should be promoting the achievements of all Caithness schools through the local papers and giving equal publicity to all items.

John Baikie
16-Oct-08, 13:40
That's interesting to know John, thank you. I'll certainly pass on that info to my local school and Parent Council. I think we should be promoting the achievements of all Caithness schools through the local papers and giving equal publicity to all items.

No problem...and my phone number is 07789 557586 ;)

Alice in Blunderland
16-Oct-08, 18:12
No problem...and my phone number is 07789 557586 ;)

Thats what I call a good plug eh ;)

sweetpea
16-Oct-08, 22:29
As a photographer - my take on it is that Hillhead school always supply good quality pictures. The trend amongst most schools now is to take their own pictures using school cameras - not sure why they have gone that way. I used to regularly get asked to photograph events at local schools, but it's becoming much less now. Even my local school don't ask any more. I don't charge for attending these things so it's not a cost issue. I think they overlook PR a fair bit, then it's an afterthought in many cases.

If a picture is going to make front page it usually needs to be good quality and ideally colourful and eye-catching. Hillhead always have nice images and they just seem better at promoting themselves. Their head teacher (I think) takes pictures for them and he's a good photographer.

So - no bias or anything to do with numbers as far as I can see, just better quality.
Makes sense!

Tristan
16-Oct-08, 22:49
The quality of the picture is important but so is the quality of the news. Some news is common to all schools so almost anyone could be on the front cover. If it is major school event, compitition, win etc. then I would think that school would tend to get the nod.