PDA

View Full Version : Blue Peter Memories

trinkie
16-Oct-08, 08:47
Having seen nearly all of them ! I loved them all, but perhaps Duncan Dares was my favourite.

I was never any good at cooking, but tried many of the decorations and other creations.

What's yours?

wifie
16-Oct-08, 09:13
Well trinkie - I have to say I loved Blue Peter and still sneak a look if my kids are watching it! My favourites were Val, John and Peter (Val and Peter who would have thought it! :eek: Gawn yersel missus!) I have actually been in the BP garden - was thrilled to bits (never got a badge tho - it was dark (!) but I did see Petra's statue and stood in John Noakes' footprints - and no I was not one of the vandals who wrecked it!) Suppose my favourite things were the animals and some of the makes and also collecting all the things for the appeals - old socks, stamps, etc, etc! Wow 50 years! I have not seen it from the start tho! ;)

Kevin Milkins
16-Oct-08, 09:25
Having seen nearly all of them ! I loved them all, but perhaps Duncan Dares was my favourite.

I was never any good at cooking, but tried many of the decorations and other creations.

What's yours?
About thirty years ago I worked on a farm just outside Chepstow at Woodcroft.

There is a very famous landmark their called Wintours Leap (not sure of spelling).

Anyway ,they filmed one of the Duncan Dares episodes their and we went along to watch.

Peter Duncan had to climb this very high cliff looking over the river Wye and he was bricking it.

He was very ,very afraid and it showed when they put it out on air.

When he got near to the top where we were standing he was worn out and although he was tied to a harness he felt he could not hang on and he was squeeling like a stuck pig.

It was pretty scarey:eek:for him, but made good TV.lol

Angela
16-Oct-08, 09:38
My favourites were Val, John and Peter

Suppose my favourite things were the animals and some of the makes and also collecting all the things for the appeals - old socks, stamps, etc, etc! Wow 50 years! I have not seen it from the start tho! ;)

My favourites were the same as yours, wifie.

I didn't see it from the start, but only because we didn't have a TV until I was 10, so I was sadly deprived of the first few years! :lol:

Bad Manners
16-Oct-08, 09:52
Oh no you have sent me back thinking and I have now realised that I am officially old I can remember as a small child sitting watching blue peter with John noaks,Valerie Singleton etc learning how to make christmas decorations out of two wire coathangers some tinsel and a paper star with sticky back plastic but that was just last year wasn't it.

Anne x
16-Oct-08, 10:09
John Noakes and co was my first memory of it I mind saying to my grandad I need a roll of sticky back plastic as he had everything in his shed Nah he said Ive none of that fangled stuff in here !! much later he found out it was sellotape I was after

I then watched it with my daughter Simon Groom Sarah Greene & Co and who could forget Goldie
Xmas appeals were all ways heart wrenching and bringing out the xmas advent decoration every year

brokencross
16-Oct-08, 14:33
In 1980 my friend's sister was a production assistant for Blue Peter.

I was lucky enough to get a guided tour of the Blue Peter offices at television centre and met Biddy Baxter.
Got an access all areas tour of BBC TV centre. Was on the set of Blue Peter when they were rehearsing for the live show, had a little play with the menagarie of animals, had a long chat with the nice lady who looked after them. Got to hold Robin Cousins Olympic Gold medal. The presenters then were Simon Groom, Tina Heath, Christopher Wenner and I got to meet them. (Can't remember which lad it was but he had a black eye; he was in a launderette and had intervened to protect a woman in a violent "domestic" dispute between a man and a woman. However, both the man and woman turned on him and thumped him).

I was in the gallery for the live broadcast and that was some experience; because it is live and was a packed show it started to overrun so they had to dump one item to get finished before the news and Biddy Baxter decided it was a little girl who was there to show off her dog who had an unusually large number of puppies that had to miss out. I felt so sorry for the little girl. (she got on the next show though).

After the broadcast it was off to the BBC bar to relax and mix with the rich and famous.

When I was young I was a fan then and having seen it all in action I respected it even more.

northener
16-Oct-08, 18:10
Brokencross, I'm not normally a jealous man.

But I am now.

I was glued to BP in the 60's and early 70's, fantastic programme.
And I got a Blue Peter badge!:Razz

Out of interest, do any other .Orgers hold a Blue Peter badge?

Manxman
16-Oct-08, 18:26
Like all the above I loved the programme I still classes as one of my most precious trinkets, my Blue Peter badge I got it for a photo of my dog in - well along time ago!

Venture
16-Oct-08, 18:42
Oh no you have sent me back thinking and I have now realised that I am officially old I can remember as a small child sitting watching blue peter with John noaks,Valerie Singleton etc learning how to make christmas decorations out of two wire coathangers some tinsel and a paper star with sticky back plastic but that was just last year wasn't it.
I must be in the same category as you Bad Manners because I can remember making the Christmas decoration out of the coathangers and tinsel too. :lol:

Mind you was shocked recently to hear that the Petra we all knew and loved wasn't the original one.:(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1051449/The-great-Petra-Blue-Peters-famous-dog-fake-shows-editor-reveals.html

Buttercup
16-Oct-08, 19:08
The first I remember Blue Peter was with Christopher Trace and Valerie Singleton presenting it in the early sixties. It was a few years before John Noakes joined them, if I remember rightly it was the 3 of them for a wee while then Christoper left and Val and John were on their own for a short time before Peter made it a trio again. I also remember the making of the first advent crown and not being able to make one because we didn't have any wire coat hangers. Used to watch it regularly even after leaving school (work permitting) and preferred it to the more trendy Magpie in the late sixties/seventies.

balto
16-Oct-08, 20:46
cant say as i was to bothered witht he presenters, but used to love watching it as a child at christmas when they made the advent crown and things to do with xmas, not that i every made anything i just enjoyed seeing how it was made.

TBH
16-Oct-08, 23:46

What's yours?John Noakes, the original dare-devil, was my favourite presenter.

loobyloo
17-Oct-08, 01:41
That thing they used to make at Christmas, out of old wire coathangers and a big of tinsel!!! That and the candles you were supposed to precariously stick onto it made it a pure health and safety hazard!!! Oh, those were the days, when you couldn't get sued for encouraging small children to make deathtraps out of odds and ends they found lying about! Unfortunately, we weren't middle class enough, so I never had the right bits to make it properly. Maybe I should search for it in the archives and go on a therapeutic mission in order to eliminate my crippling self esteem issues linked to not having the necessary bits :) What do you reckon?

trinkie
17-Oct-08, 07:34
What lovely memories you all have ! Such good little bairns you were making all the models. Biddy Baxter would be proud of you !
If you were like my children, then you'd be running to your mother at tea time asking for an old toilet roll tube , cotton wool, glue, sticky back plastic etc !

I really like the new presenter - a black lad called Andy, I think he has great potential and such a nice way of 'talking' to children.

Long may Blue Peter reign !
Now I'm whistling the tune - can you hear me?

trinkie
17-Oct-08, 07:47
I forgot to say - I've got the Blue Peter Book of Limericks ! dated 1972. It now belongs to my grandson ( but I keep it on my shelf with hundreds of poetry books - pride of place!)

There once was a show called Blue Peter
Whose comperes tried out a three-seater
Val fell in a hole
John climbed up a pole
Then up came a wind and blew Peter.

by Stephen Hollinghurst age 8 and a half.

There was a great train called Blue Peter
And the team of that name went to meet her
They drew such a crowd
And they felt very proud
To be naming theat train 'Blue Peter'

by Anne Sylvester age 9

There was a young man called Pete Purvis
Who worked in the BBC service
He began with a splash
And once had a crash
But jumping from heights makes him nervous.

by Hilary Pearce age 7

There is a young man called John Noakes
Who cannot help making 'mistakes'
His 'foons' and his 'sporks'
Get mised up when he talks
But he's one of the best among blokes.

by Richard Holton age 9

brokencross
17-Oct-08, 09:32
Brokencross, I'm not normally a jealous man.

But I am now.

I was glued to BP in the 60's and early 70's, fantastic programme.
And I got a Blue Peter badge!:Razz

Out of interest, do any other .Orgers hold a Blue Peter badge?

The whole day was fantastic. Because my friends sister worked for the Beeb (and security wasn't so tight in those days) we were able to go all over TV centre. I saw all sorts of shows in production; I stood in the set for shop from "Open All Hours" and even opened the snapping till.

Another afternoon and evening we saw Top of the Pops being recorded and that was a real eye opener and was nothing like the TOTP show that was eventually broadcast.

When we went up to the BBC bar and canteen the were loads of "pop stars" and household names from the small screen including David Jason, June Whitfield.

trinkie
17-Oct-08, 10:43
Something to remind you of happy days !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7649362.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7649362.stm)

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 17:24
Remember when I was a nipper thinking Lesley Judd was hot in a "Teacher" kinda way!!

looking back it was a bit strange dont know what the attraction was. Then along came Anthea Turner and I was in love again!!!! ;)

joxville
17-Oct-08, 18:54
Remember when I was a nipper thinking Lesley Judd was hot in a "Teacher" kinda way!!

looking back it was a bit strange dont know what the attraction was. Then along came Anthea Turner and I was in love again!!!! ;)

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that about Lesley Judd. Now it's Konnie Huq~a wee cracker. :o

Kevin Milkins
17-Oct-08, 19:09
Something to remind you of happy days !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7649362.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7649362.stm)

Thanks for that link trinkie, lots of laugh's there.:lol:

I tried to find the clip of Peter Duncan climbing Wintours Leap ,but no joy.:(
Not sure if any of the more expert googlers might be able to find it as it shows my old house and the farm that I used to work on in the background.

carasmam
17-Oct-08, 21:06
I think Peter Duncan came to Keiss Primary school in a big yellow RAF rescue helicopter, but I didn't really watch Blue Peter and wasn't that interested, any Keissers out there remember ??? Maybe I am dottled though and it wasna him :eek: