PDA

View Full Version : Who heard that big boom?

SunnyChick
16-Oct-08, 07:35
Wednesday at about 0945hrs, sitting watching tv in Scarfskerry when "BOOM" the house shook and it was a noise unlike anything I've heard before.

Upon checking the road outside and seeing there wasn't a car crashed into the wall, and the house roof that hadn't collapsed and none of the neighbours houses seemed to have blown up.....

What was that noise? Does anyone know? :confused

Friends of ours half a mile away also heard it, so I'm not imagining it! Lol!

skinnydog
16-Oct-08, 08:12
Hi

I heard two loud noises last night about 10.15. I think it might have been fireworks. That doesn't make your house shake though!!

Kevin Milkins
16-Oct-08, 08:52
Just a long shot ,but it could have been a rememberance service for the sinking of the Royal Oak.:confused

Wellies
16-Oct-08, 09:42
It was thunder and lightning Sunnychick. There was two lots of it at that time.

topotheuk
16-Oct-08, 09:45
Just before the boom, we saw a blue flash of light in the sky. The boom did not sound like thunder it was definately a boom rather than a rumble. We only saw one flash of light and one loud boom. We are in Barrock.

macdf
16-Oct-08, 09:59
we wer traveling bak in2 thurso at bout half 9 n saw a huge flash in the sky......was only the 1 but it lit up the hole sky

SunnyChick
16-Oct-08, 10:41
Just before the boom, we saw a blue flash of light in the sky. The boom did not sound like thunder it was definately a boom rather than a rumble. We only saw one flash of light and one loud boom. We are in Barrock.

Yeah, it sort of sounded like the thunder boom but without the rumbly bit which usually follows. :confused

So me thinks it was probably just a storm, which has continued well into today with stuff blowing all over the garden. Lol.

Don't you just love Caithness in October! [lol]

jay
16-Oct-08, 12:49
There certainly was thunder and lightening last night but was it during the day as well? the boom in question was at 9.15 am

Liz
16-Oct-08, 12:51
I heard the noise as well at the same time as SunnyChick and I live in Reiss.

The sky was beautiful and clear so no thunder. Unless it was from some distance away?

SunnyChick
16-Oct-08, 16:48
Lol... spot the deliberate mistake in my first post. I meant to say
[smirk] 2145hrs (was watching Heroes at the time so missed the last ten minutes of the programme trying to figure what on earth was going on outside).

Lol. xx

Liz
16-Oct-08, 17:54
I knew what time you meant!lol

northener
16-Oct-08, 17:59
Sonic boom from a jet fighter?

JamesMcVean
16-Oct-08, 18:07
I know what it was - A Ufo travelling at Hypersonic Speed...followed closely by RAF Jets causing the sonic booms

;)

spangle
16-Oct-08, 21:57
Also heard the big boom at east mey. No way was it thunder. Much to short and sharp and the house did shake. Just before the noise was a really bright flash of light - like a camera flash outside. Bright enough to make us run into the front garden to look for a ufo.
Know someone on the other side of Dunnet who also saw the light.

Shabbychic
16-Oct-08, 22:51
I heard it too in East Mey. There was a blue flash and then the boom. I went out to see if it was a plane crash or something, but nothing there. Didn't sound like any thunder I've ever heard before.

porshiepoo
17-Oct-08, 09:23
I heard and felt it here in Lybster too!
Have to say the cause of this one was me accidentally chucking a cigarette lighter onto the log burner in the living room. :eek:
Pooped my pants I did!

ett23
17-Oct-08, 18:29
I heard and felt it here in Lybster too!
Have to say the cause of this one was me accidentally chucking a cigarette lighter onto the log burner in the living room. :eek:
Pooped my pants I did!

Good one porshiepoo!! LOL!!! :lol: ;)

teenybash
17-Oct-08, 18:43
Everyone seems to have heard the BOOM except me......I was on the phone at the time to a friend in Orkney who screamed lightening and hung up...she is terrified of thunder and lightening..................me, never heard a thing and I am quite miffed..[disgust]

floyed
17-Oct-08, 19:35
Everyone seems to have heard the BOOM except me......I was on the phone at the time to a friend in Orkney who screamed lightening and hung up...she is terrified of thunder and lightening..................me, never heard a thing and I am quite miffed..[disgust]

Well im with you i never heard a thing or seen anything :confused