PDA

View Full Version : HORSE help

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
15-Oct-08, 22:09
Hi Guys, my lovely cobby boy, seems to be having a little problem urinating, have ridden him this evening but several times within an hour he was crouching down as if he wanted to relieve himself, but wasnt able to he eventually managed to do a little but refused to move forward after, as if in pain. However he wasnt groaning/ moaning while piddling. He isnt a big drinker either in the stable or field, he also seems to be in very good condition although he is not being fed, and not much grazing left in his field, will contact my vet tomoorow but anyone have any ideas.

Thanx in advance

Elayne:(

missmillie
15-Oct-08, 22:16
Hmm could just have an infection but best to get the vet to have a look! Hope You get him sorted out!!

cat
15-Oct-08, 22:23
im sure his sheath is prob clean,but seem to mind a friend had gelding with same prob and apparently tucked away in some corner up there(iv yet to find it with my pony)there was a lump of gunk the size of a stone. il try and find out where this was if you have no joy with anything else

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
16-Oct-08, 09:12
Hi Guys, thanks for suggestions for this prob, he has peed a little in his stable overnight and drank a good half bucket of water.Ive tried to get a sample this morning with no avail. Also checked his sheath, he seems bright enough within himself today. Im not at work on Friday so will call the vet out. Will keep you posted.

Elayne

unicornleather
16-Oct-08, 09:58
Cat is right, they can get a load of hard gunk up there that forms into a "plug" that can stop them passing water easily. Could be a few things actually or as others have said, an infection,the vet will sort it out for you,Oz

landy
16-Oct-08, 13:50
hi,my cob does that from time to time,i just wash the inside of his sheath with warm salty water or a mild soln of hibiscrub over a couple of days .it generally sorts itself out.to get him to drink more warm the water a little and put a teaspoon of salt in it,it increases thirst so more water intake more output.hope hes better soon.

Rie
18-Oct-08, 10:29
could also be cystytus, if it looks like he is in pain or uncomfortable when peeing , if it carries on over a day or too take a sample to the vet , should be able to test there and then and give you granuels to put in to his water to ease the problem .

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
20-Oct-08, 21:49
Hi Guys, just a wee update on non peeing horse. Pelli drinking a bit more with the aid of apple juice in his water bucket. We are awaiting results from blood tests, so hoping all is clear, Will let you know how it goes.

Elayne.

teenybash
20-Oct-08, 21:56
Hi Guys, just a wee update on non peeing horse. Pelli drinking a bit more with the aid of apple juice in his water bucket. We are awaiting results from blood tests, so hoping all is clear, Will let you know how it goes.

Elayne.

Little advice to keep urinary probs at bay and soothe if there is one already. Instead of apple juice in drinking water add Apple Cider Vinegar.
Of great benefit to humans and animals alike.................. Hope he gets over his piddling problem soon.....poor lad.

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
20-Oct-08, 21:57
Thaks for that one, will give it a try.

Liz
20-Oct-08, 22:39
You can get some more info on Apple Cider Vinegar here:- http://www.crossgatesfarm.co.uk/apple-cider-vinegar.xhtml

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
20-Oct-08, 22:49
Liz, thanks for link, sounds great stuff.

Elayne

Liz
21-Oct-08, 12:47
You are very welcome Elayne.

Hope Pelli's blood tests are clear.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
22-Oct-08, 13:25
any words on bloods?

had vet out myself fortnight ago for sometging and got onto discussion of dirty sheaths etc....and this is a bit by the by with your thread but maybe of help to others he had been down at a stud in Edinburgh and good practice was to wash out sheaths of stallions with "SIMPLE" as in the brand simple soap..... just a tip for you all - endorsed by the vets!!

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
22-Oct-08, 21:57
Hi Guys, bloods back late this afternoon, seems there is a couple of things out of range, but not sure what they are at present (Hopefully nothing serious)Finally managed to get a urine sample tonight,he only passed a very small amount and very dark in colour. I will meet up with my vet tomorrow, and hopefully have an outcome.
Will keep you posted, a big thank you to all for advice and good wishes.

Elayne.

Liz
22-Oct-08, 22:10
Really hope it is something which can be easily sorted out.

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
02-Nov-08, 19:20
Hi Guys, Anti Bs finished now, Pells well on road to recovery (thankfully) It seems more than likely to have been a urine infection, but Vet not ruling out kidney stones.Will just have to keep an eye on him over next few weeks. However both Rider & Horse enjoyed a two hour hack in the wonderful sunshine today. Just glad to have my boy back !!:)

Elayne

Liz
02-Nov-08, 19:26
So glad to hear that Pells is well on the road to recovery and that you had a lovely walk together today.:D

It is really awful when any of our animal family is unwell.

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
02-Nov-08, 19:40
Thanks Liz,

teenybash
03-Nov-08, 21:24
Glad to hear all seems well with both rider and horse happy........;)

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
03-Nov-08, 21:59
Thank u teenybash.