PDA

View Full Version : A use for odd socks

balto
15-Oct-08, 20:21
A while back there was a thread about odd socks, well i have found a use for mine for the next 6-8 weeks anyway, as my eldest daughter has broke her foot, so with one foot needing a sock they come in very handy. saves getting her pairs of socks mixed up lol.

cuddlepop
15-Oct-08, 20:29
My Oh uncle was in hospital and only had one foot so would only require one sock.
Unfortunatly no one thought to tell the laundry and his sister in law was having to buy more socks as the "odd" one just never returned.:roll:

Hope your daughter makes a speedy recovery.

Gizmo
15-Oct-08, 20:32
Ouch, she has my sympathy, i broke my ankle this time last year, the cast is a nightmare and sooooo itchy, after 4 weeks i couldnt take anymore and hacked it off with a wood saw, stanley knife, and hammer and chisel, my wife walked in and i was sitting there dripping with sweat surrounded by all those tools, it looked like something out of the 'Saw' horror movies...:lol: not one of my smarter moments :)

balto
15-Oct-08, 20:35
Ouch, she has my sympathy, i broke my ankle this time last year, the cast is a nightmare and sooooo itchy, after 4 weeks i couldnt take anymore and hacked it off with a wood saw, stanley knife, and hammer and chisel, my wife walked in and i was sitting there dripping with sweat surrounded by all those tools, it looked like something out of the 'Saw' horror movies...:lol: not one of my smarter moments :)
better not let her read this thread lol as she might get ideas as i think she is getting board already.

Gizmo
15-Oct-08, 20:40
better not let her read this thread lol as she might get ideas as i think she is getting board already.

I wouldnt recommend it at all, those acrylic gause casts are tougher than they look, it took me an hour and a half to hack off :o

balto
15-Oct-08, 20:41
I wouldnt recommend it at all, those acrylic gause casts are tougher than they look, it took me an hour and a half to hack off :o
she is so annoyed at the fact it has happened as she was supposed to be swimming at her 1st compition in Buckie on the 15th of next month, so she is not happy.

Gizmo
15-Oct-08, 20:52
She should get one of these cast covers, it makes showering sooooo much easier.

http://www.limboproducts.co.uk/prod1.htm

balto
15-Oct-08, 20:57
She should get one of these cast covers, it makes showering sooooo much easier.

http://www.limboproducts.co.uk/prod1.htm
cheers for that, was wondering how i was going to manage to get her in the bath, but wonder does it work as good in the bath or would it leck.

Gizmo
15-Oct-08, 21:01
I only used mine in the shower but it's supposed to work fine in the bath, the seal at the top is quite tight fitting so should be fine in the bath.

balto
15-Oct-08, 21:07
reckon i will invest in one of these for her, thanks for letting me know about it.

daviddd
15-Oct-08, 21:07
As an ardent touring cyclist, I know the value of pulling a sock over my plastic water bottle and wetting it - whereby Boyle's law kicks in and the air flowing around the bottle as I move along cools it significantly. An old trick well used by Outback travellers but equally valid for UK cyclists.

Tilter
15-Oct-08, 22:39
The dog gets all our odd socks. She has various uses for them, such as chewing them up or generally slobbering over them, pretending they are rats and shaking them, or just taking them to her bed when she's chilling.

Dorrie
15-Oct-08, 22:49
When I broke my ankle a few years back I had one of those socks things for the shower and bath. It was really good but I thought it was better in the bath than the shower. I did keep my leg resting on the bath tray thing, so it only got water on when I stood up but it worked perfectly at keeping that out. :)

htwood
16-Oct-08, 03:03
I use hubby's odd socks to dust the furniture. Just slip it over my hand, have a spray of lemon oil and swwwwwhish! I use it for some weeks, then toss guiltfree.

marlyn
16-Oct-08, 08:46
cheers for that, was wondering how i was going to manage to get her in the bath, but wonder does it work as good in the bath or would it leck.

Hi Balto

just to let you know that I bought one of these at the start of the summer holidays (my 3 yr old managed to chop off the tip of her little finger - with help from her big sister!!) we were heading of on holiday 5 days later. I used it mainly to keep the dressing dry when we were at the beach and things, but also used it when we were giving her a bath. I found it was fantastic and would definitely recommend it. They do sweat quite a bit, but that probably wouldn't be such a problem with a hard cast, also your daughter is a bit older so would be able to use a bit of common sense - not available to my 3 year old!

A friend that had a broken her ankle recommended it to me. The company are really good to deal with and the delivery is super fast. I phoned them to order it because I was not too sure what I needed and the man really could not have been more helpful.

highlander
16-Oct-08, 10:12
I also have used them for dusting Htwood lol but the most unusal way that i have had to use old socks was when a calf was born in the barn and was not getting up right away, i put the socks over its feet as the hens would peck at there soft hoofs, that way they were being protected.

domino
16-Oct-08, 20:40
Put in two tennis balls. Tie tightly, lie on the floor or bed, place the balls at the base of your skull more or less one ball on either side of your neck. great for relaxation

sassylass
17-Oct-08, 01:05
As an ardent touring cyclist, I know the value of pulling a sock over my plastic water bottle and wetting it - whereby Boyle's law kicks in and the air flowing around the bottle as I move along cools it significantly. An old trick well used by Outback travellers but equally valid for UK cyclists.

Interesting idea, I'm going to try it, thanks.

Angela
17-Oct-08, 10:14
I used to make odd socks into hand puppets ....the Blue Peter influence I think.;)

Bradcon
17-Oct-08, 10:26
Covers for rabbits water bottles when the frost sets in.:)

henry20
17-Oct-08, 10:42
I use hubby's odd socks to dust the furniture. Just slip it over my hand, have a spray of lemon oil and swwwwwhish! I use it for some weeks, then toss guiltfree.

:lol: I read this as Just slip it over my head, have a spray of lemon oil and swwwwwhish! thought it was a novel way to do the dusting :lol: