PDA

View Full Version : Redundancy

Thorfin
15-Oct-08, 14:30
does anyone know the rights of are you entitled to get redundancy when leaving a job or get paid of for any reason?? :confused

jings00
15-Oct-08, 14:31
i think best bet would be to go and speak to CAB...they will keep you right and get you on the right tracks if action needs to be taken.

Thorfin
15-Oct-08, 16:27
yea we can speak to CAB but has anyone had any horror stories with companies not paying etc

Murdina Bug
15-Oct-08, 16:50
Take a look at these pages:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/employment/redundancyandleavingyourjob/index.htm

Unless your Company has different contractural terms then statutory redundancy payments will apply. I am assuming from your question that you are expecting trouble from the employer so you can also find out about breach of contract on here. There are steps you can take with legal action if necessary, but mediation and showing that you know your rights is usually enough to persuade most employers to pay up!

northener
15-Oct-08, 18:57
If as Murdina suspects, you are anticipating problems with your employer, it may also be worth finding out what constitutes 'constructive dismissal'.

This is where employers offer unsuitable posts/hours to staff they wish to lose and then hope they refuse and walk of their own accord - in order to avoid paying out redundancy to them. It's illegal to do this, but some companies will still try it on.

silverfox57
15-Oct-08, 19:41
In most redundancy cases it is very good if you are in a union ,as they have all law details,and and are on your side ,and companies know if you are a union member ,they know union will make sure you get all you are entitled to.

JoeSoap
16-Oct-08, 00:23
yea we can speak to CAB but has anyone had any horror stories with companies not paying etc
Several years ago I worked for a subsidiary of a major US company. The parent company decided to absorb our business back into theirs and we were all (around 500 people) made redundant.

A few days after we were given our notice of redundancy consultation one of my colleagues marched into the HR director's office. He came out ten minutes later extremely pleased with himself having told the director that he knew what he was entitled to and wouldn't settle for anything less.

As it turns out, we got a lot more than we were entitled to. The company took a year to wrap up and, for that time, they needed some of us (about a dozen IT staff) to 'hang about' and keep things ticking over. To make sure we would they offered us fairly substantial retention packages including several training courses, help finding a new job, the services of a professional CV consultant and, of course, some cash. It was possibly the best year of work I've ever had.

My colleague - the one who wouldn't settle for less than he was entitled to - got his wish. Yep, he got exactly what he was entitled to. He wasn't asked to hang about. In fact, he was the first out the door and left with his statutory redundancy and a nice leaving card.

So, my advice: find out from CAB what you are entitled to and then keep schtum. Unless and until your employer tries to short change you, you should wait to see what's on offer. Don't make threats. Don't rock the boat. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. You never know, they might be more generous than you think.

Bad Manners
16-Oct-08, 10:02
I agree with joe soap regarding disclosure find out throught your cab excetera what you are entitled to and wait and see what you are offered. I could be a differant matter if the company is going bankrupt as there may not be the funds to make any large payouts. Try to find out as much info as you can whilst at the same time be looking for the new job because if there are a number of redundanced you will all be in the same boat try to secure employment and fight your case from a position of some security if possable Best of luck

youoldduffer
16-Oct-08, 10:35
You could also try this group called ACAS

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461