PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted!

Julia
15-Jan-06, 18:29
We stood horrified and watched some thug hitting his dogs yesterday, I still feel sick thinking about how terrified those poor animals must of been as they cowered on their bellies, I did yell at him to stop but got the height of verbal abuse (after he'd finished hitting them)! [mad]

Just a pity I did not have my camera on me.

I did however contact the SSPCA but they can do nothing unless I can provide them with the owners address and I was shocked to discover that nothing would be done unless the animal was actually injured, that can't be right can it?

connieb19
15-Jan-06, 18:32
We stood horrified and watched some thugl hitting his dogs yesterday, I still feel sick thinking about how terrified those poor animals must of been as they cowered on their bellies, I did yell at him to stop but got the height of verbal abuse (after he'd finished hitting them)! [mad]

I did however contact the SSPCA but they can do nothing unless I can provide them with the owners address and I was shocked to discover that nothing would be done unless the animal was actually injured, that can't be right can it?Thats awful...was it in Wick?

Liz
15-Jan-06, 19:25
OMG Julia that is awful!!!!!:cry:

I am sure it is a lot of rubbish that the SSPCA can't do anything unless the animal is injured!!!! For goodness sake they are supposed to 'prevent' cruelty!

If you don't get any satisfaction with the local branch try HO.

Do you think you will be able to find out where this horrible, horrible person lives? If you want please pm me and I will try to help.

I don't understand how anyone can be so awful to a poor defenceless creature.

By the way are you the very kind person who has given a foster home to another poor dog who was abused?

connieb19
15-Jan-06, 19:36
What is it about some people...I think these people are cowards who take their frustration out on an innocent defenseless animal because they know that an animal cant stick up for itself. He probably really wants to hit someone else but is afraid to do so.
I hope you find out his address, and the SSPCA do something about it!!

Liz
15-Jan-06, 19:41
What is it about some people...I think these people are cowards who take their frustration out on an innocent defenseless animal because they know that an animal cant stick up for itself. He probably really wants to hit someone else but is afraid to do so.
I hope you find out his address, and the SSPCA do something about it!!

Totally agree with you!

Very much hope this person is traced as it is unthinkable about these poor dogs living with such a brute!!!!

Venture
15-Jan-06, 20:55
Makes you wonder what he does to these poor dumb animals in his home if he is not afraid to hit them in front of people. Im sure the folk on this website would help Julia in finding out just who this brute is. How can the SSPCA know if the animal was injured or not if they havent examined it and Im surprised they aren't following up on the information given to prevent any more harm to these poor animals.

Big G
15-Jan-06, 21:21
We stood horrified and watched some thug hitting his dogs yesterday, I still feel sick thinking about how terrified those poor animals must of been as they cowered on their bellies, I did yell at him to stop but got the height of verbal abuse (after he'd finished hitting them)! [mad]

I did however contact the SSPCA but they can do nothing unless I can provide them with the owners address and I was shocked to discover that nothing would be done unless the animal was actually injured, that can't be right can it?

Was this in Thurso on Friday afternoon in the brownhill road, castlegreen road area? if it was i seen a group of kids hitting and kicking a big huge dog - it was such ashame. i did knock at the window but u know, the dont give a monkeys! i did see the lady over the road from me out at them though, this was in brownhill road!

i also think i recognised the people, BUT cant be certain. I'll find out though as i did see a girl walking past them i know!

Julia
15-Jan-06, 21:23
OMG Julia that is awful!!!!!:cry:

I am sure it is a lot of rubbish that the SSPCA can't do anything unless the animal is injured!!!! For goodness sake they are supposed to 'prevent' cruelty!

If you don't get any satisfaction with the local branch try HO.

Do you think you will be able to find out where this horrible, horrible person lives? If you want please pm me and I will try to help.

I don't understand how anyone can be so awful to a poor defenceless creature.

By the way are you the very kind person who has given a foster home to another poor dog who was abused?

It was the Inverness branch I rang as Balmore was closed. I too wouldn't of thought it mattered if the animal was injured or not, nobody should be hitting a dog or any other animal full stop.

Yes I have just fostered a doggy, he's a real cutie! Ironically it was his first trip out yesterday with us.

Big G
15-Jan-06, 21:26
It was the Inverness branch I rang as Balmore was closed. I too wouldn't of thought it mattered if the animal was injured or not, nobody should be hitting a dog or any other animal full stop.

Yes I have just fostered a doggy, he's a real cutie! Ironically it was his first trip out yesterday with us.

julia was this in Thurso u seen this poor dog?

Julia
15-Jan-06, 21:29
Was this in Thurso on Friday afternoon in the brownhill road, castlegreen road area? if it was i seen a group of kids hitting and kicking a big huge dog - it was such ashame. i did knock at the window but u know, the dont give a monkeys! i did see the lady over the road from me out at them though, this was in brownhill road!

i also think i recognised the people, BUT cant be certain. I'll find out though as i did see a girl walking past them i know!

No, it happened at Reiss Beach yesterday afternoon. That's terrible about that poor dog in Thurso, if you recognise the people involved I would urge you to pursue it especially if you can rely on the Lady from across the road to back you up.

Venture
15-Jan-06, 21:31
Julia what kind of dogs were they.

angela5
15-Jan-06, 21:45
I am horrified to read this no way should anyone get away with ill treating animals. I hope the people reading this is able to help you with finding out who this was.
They should be named and shamed and prosecuted.

Phoebus_Apollo
15-Jan-06, 22:00
Cruelty to animals makes my blood boil and I hope that this idiot is caught and punished for his crime.:mad:

Liz
15-Jan-06, 23:36

Try Balmore Julia and if they give you the same rubbish then please contact the HQ in Edinburgh. No way do they have to wait until an animal incurs injuries before they act.

As the others have said please give us a description of this horrible person and his dogs as maybe someone will recognise him.

What on earth possesses these people to take out their frustrations on these poor creatures?!

Well done on fostering the dog which had been cruelly treated. I heard about it and when I saw you on the forum I guessed it might be you.

Doolally
15-Jan-06, 23:44
Try Balmore Julia and if they give you the same rubbish then please contact the HQ in Edinburgh. No way do they have to wait until an animal incurs injuries before they act.

Surely you need some kind of proof to get anything done about it though?

angela5
16-Jan-06, 00:00

I would think they would at least check out the accusations.In cases of child abuse reporting that matter would lead to social workers visting the families of the accused if the child is found full of bruises then they would need to check this further, the same should apply to animals all reports of this should lead to the animal being examined. Proof is there enough if the animal is found with all sorts of unexplained injuries. If that's not enough then at least the seed of doubt is planted and they should then check up on the animal regulary.

Something has to be done so much animal cruelty is going on and so many are getting away with this horrible crime.
Carrying a camera phone is an idea take a picture of them in the act.

Liz
16-Jan-06, 00:14

Not necessarily. If there is a suspicion of cruelty then the SSPCA Inspector must visit the person to assess the situation.

'Proof' would be needed if there was to be a prosecution. It would probably be enough for there to be enough witnesses.

Cruelty will continue as long as people turn a blind eye and let people get away with it. The animals can't ask for help themselves so rely totally on us to be their voice.

gleeber
16-Jan-06, 00:22
Cruelty will continue as long as people turn a blind eye and let people get away with it. The animals can't ask for help themselves so rely totally on us to be their voice.
I have to admit that I have never seen any animal cruelty in recent years. If I did my reaction would probably be the same as Julias. I wouldnt worry about it too much. It could have been a one of, or alternatively if the guy is in the habit of beating his dog, eventually he will be done but what happens to the dog then?

Julia
16-Jan-06, 13:34
'Proof' would be needed if there was to be a prosecution. It would probably be enough for there to be enough witnesses.

Luckily my partner was with me and witnessed it also, there were other people down on the beach near the guy, they were bound to have noticed the commotion too.

I really don't know how much to say on this forum regarding the incident, should I go ahead and post the breed of dogs etc.. They are not too common up here, and there were two the same.

wicker
16-Jan-06, 14:25
You should put the details here as someone might recognise who it was and least then when you phone them you will at least have a name to give

katarina
16-Jan-06, 14:58
Luckily my partner was with me and witnessed it also, there were other people down on the beach near the guy, they were bound to have noticed the commotion too.

I really don't know how much to say on this forum regarding the incident, should I go ahead and post the breed of dogs etc.. They are not too common up here, and there were two the same.

Pity you're not allowed to name and shame them! Surely it's all right to name the breed of dog?

cuddlepop
16-Jan-06, 15:07
Julie,we've got a rescued collie .The previous owner decided at nine months the dog was going to be know use with the sheep.It had been badly beaten and left tied to an electric mast in the middle of the field.We were the second family that tried to home the dog.Luckily we suceeded ,our dog is the most loyal and loving friend I could wish for.Good luck with yours,
Has any one thought about the fact that if the dogs were attacking someone they would have been put down!....but it appears the human can attack the dog with no redress!!

Fran
17-Jan-06, 00:54
I was sitting in a cafe in thurso and saw a man kicking his dog under a bench in the prescint a year ago. i was horrified and ran out and told the man to stop, the man hit me, and a man came out of the council office to help. i phoned the police and the RSPCA inspector miss gunn?, straight away the dog was taken away and the man arrested. I phoned the next day to the inspector to ask what had happened to the poor dog and she asked if i would give a statement. it was taken to court.At the time this happened the poor dog was terrified and put his nose in my hand as though to thank me, it still upsets me to think about it. i would like to have dragged the man by a lead and kicked him all over to see how he would like it.
anyway, happy ending, the beautiful black and tan dog was rehoused to a family in Halkirk and is very happy.
Please always report these things, phone the police, and please intervene as then everyone will watch so you will have plenty of witnesses. it is up to us to help these poor ill treated animals who cannot help themselves. i dont regret what i did, even though i got hit, it was so worth it.

nicnak
17-Jan-06, 01:24
All I can say is I am absolutely horrified that anyone can treat any animal with such utterly contemptable behaviour, Thank you so much for reporting the incident to the sspca and i am shocked that they could do nothing about the occurance. My family and I have always had animals as loving friends and companions and are constantly horrified at the way some people treat their pets .

connieb19
17-Jan-06, 01:25
I was sitting in a cafe in thurso and saw a man kicking his dog under a bench in the prescint a year ago. i was horrified and ran out and told the man to stop, the man hit me, and a man came out of the council office to help. i phoned the police and the RSPCA inspector miss gunn?, straight away the dog was taken away and the man arrested. I phoned the next day to the inspector to ask what had happened to the poor dog and she asked if i would give a statement. it was taken to court.At the time this happened the poor dog was terrified and put his nose in my hand as though to thank me, it still upsets me to think about it. i would like to have dragged the man by a lead and kicked him all over to see how he would like it.
anyway, happy ending, the beautiful black and tan dog was rehoused to a family in Halkirk and is very happy.
Please always report these things, phone the police, and please intervene as then everyone will watch so you will have plenty of witnesses. it is up to us to help these poor ill treated animals who cannot help themselves. i dont regret what i did, even though i got hit, it was so worth it.I wish there was more people like you Fran.... To speak for these poor animals. Dogs are so loyal to their owners and to see them be treated like this is disgusting!! A lot of people wouldn't have wanted involved once they thought it might go to court but I wouldn't let it stop me reporting it either if i thought an animal was being mistreated. I'm glad this dog found a new home and hopefuly somebody will know who the person Julia saw is, and something will be done there too!!

attidude9464
17-Jan-06, 01:30
The Scottish SPCA take any reports of cruelty very seriously but if someone made a complaint about an incident but was unable to provide a name or an address of the culprit then there would be very little they could do. Because this incident didn;t happen at an actual adress and did infact happen on a beach, then it could be anyone. Even if the owner of the dogs could be traced, there would be limited things the SSPCA could do without witnesses that were willing and prepared to stand up in court and be counted. Then there is the need for a veterinary surgeon to say that the dogs have suffered unnecessarily. Unless there was obvoiuos injuries to the dogs then I am almost positive that a vet would not say it was suffering (which has to be proved before a prosecution could proceed). If the owner is traced the sspca Inspector can go to speak to the owner but will be faced with Denial, thats almost guaranteed.

This information was sought from the SSPCA in Edinburgh.

But I am sure that if Julia can provide the breed of dogs then enquiries can be made by the Inspector.

Fran
17-Jan-06, 02:14
Im sure if you put an "anonymous" letter in the letters page of the Groat about the incident, witnesses would reply, i do hope so. I hope the owner is found and the dogs rehomed. the man i saw pull and repeatedly kick his dog was banned for ever from having a dog. he said he was drunk at the time. if i was the sheriff i would have had him publicly flogged.

Julia
17-Jan-06, 11:35
I sincerely hope nobody minds me using this picture of 'Saffy and Jess' (aren't they cute) as an example of what the dogs looked like, they were both similar to the dog pictured on the right.

http://www.caithness.org/petscorner/photogallery/photos.htm?54?0

Please note this is not a picture of the dogs I say being hit, just the same breed (Staffordshire Bull Terriers)!

wicker
17-Jan-06, 11:43
i think i know who it is, 2 huge rotweiller type things, think anyone who lives in the pultney area will also know

Whitewater
17-Jan-06, 11:52
Hi Julia, they are Staffordshire Bull Terriers, great dogs with children, love to play and have fun. They can be very agessive with other animals if in the wrong hands. I never owned one myself, always have had a soft spot for Boxers.
Good post, I agree with you about the cruelty, the owner should be ashamed.

unicorn
17-Jan-06, 14:12
i think i know who it is, 2 huge rotweiller type things, think anyone who lives in the pultney area will also know

Staffies are way smaller than rotties wicker, so I dont think it will be the same dogs. Also I think there are a couple of breeders of these up here now so they are possibly more common than you think sadly.

saffy100
17-Jan-06, 14:13
Hi

The two dogs in the picture are mine, i in fact have 3 of them now. Mine have a terrible life....they have to sleep on my bed with a feather duvet, they get walked twice a day, they have minced beef or chicken at weekends, they have a duvet in front of the open fire to lie on cold days (but prefer the sofa with me) ha ha ha.

But on a serious note i too am disgusted with people who are cruel. And if anyone knows anything about they incident i really think they should report it, you never know if he gets a fright it may make him think.

Saffy100

Julia
17-Jan-06, 14:35
Hi

The two dogs in the picture are mine, i in fact have 3 of them now. Mine have a terrible life....they have to sleep on my bed with a feather duvet, they get walked twice a day, they have minced beef or chicken at weekends, they have a duvet in front of the open fire to lie on cold days (but prefer the sofa with me) ha ha ha.

But on a serious note i too am disgusted with people who are cruel. And if anyone knows anything about they incident i really think they should report it, you never know if he gets a fright it may make him think.

Saffy100

Thanks Saffy, glad you are not upset with me for using your doggy's picture! My dog is so lazy, snobby and spoilt she can barely make it outside on her own, she acts like she is twenty years old but she isn't even two. I threw a ball for her the other day and she ran about six steps and then turned and looked at me in disgust! :lol:

If I can find out where the guy lives I will take it further, I have the witness to take it all the way if we can!

paris
17-Jan-06, 14:58
Proshie poo and i went to visit a G/Dane breeder a few years ago to GET IN with the in crowd at the dog shows.( we were both new to it all ) To say we were horrified how they were being kept is an understatement. I ended up bringing one of the dogs home, a 6 yr old. She had given birth to 80 yes i did say 80 puppy's while she was there and had ovously been hit/beaten as all she ever did was cower when i stroked her head.
She turned out to be one of the most loving dogs i have ever owned. Very smelly though as when she was stressed she let of an awful odor. Well my home became hers to go with my other 4 dogs but she insisted sitting on MY furniture and guests who came to see me ended up sitting on the floor.
Porshie poo had at one time about 10 G/Danes living in her house and was it a mess NO it was spotless. If anyone loves there animals i would have to nominate her.

Bumblebee
17-Jan-06, 15:20
Julia, that is awful. Animal cruelty is disgusting and must be stopped. If you can get any idea at all as to who that was on the beach, I also think that you should go straight to the SSPCA at Balmore - they do care, it's just that the law is sticky for them when it comes to requiring evidence. If I can help you at all, I certainly will, and I will watch out for this man around Wick. I have seen a lot of animal cruelty since living up here, including many dead animals and a stolen dog, which makes me believe that the animals concerned are more worthy than the humans causing the suffering. No joke.:mad:

Liz
17-Jan-06, 15:27
I have received a pm telling me that I should not be 'slagging off' the SSPCA as I am in the Cats Protection and that we should be working together and not 'bad mouthing' one another!
I do not like to be accused of bad mouthing when all I am doing is voicing an opinion.
Surely I am entitled to do this the same as any other forum member?

To set the record straight I very much respect the work of the SSPCA and one of my friends is a very dedicated SSPCA Inpsector. They have a very difficult job to do and for this they have my utmost admiration.

However, I felt in this case that Julia being told nothing could be done unless the dogs were injured was not at all helpful.
I was in the local branch of the SSPCA for many years and know that an Inspector would investigate any possible cruelty which had been reported. Often a warning is all that is needed. I appreciate that if an owner is to be prosecuted that physical evidence is needed but early intervention can stop things getting to this stage.

Bumblebee
17-Jan-06, 15:50
Well said, Liz. Even just a warning in the early stages is a definite step in the right direction. I think every reported case of animal cruelty is most definitely worth investigating.

attidude9464
17-Jan-06, 15:59
If people are so bad that they are going to beat or hit their dog infront of people I dont think they will take an board any advice or recommendations from any animal welfare officer. If anyone does know who the owner of these dogs are then please get in touch with the SSPCA and I am sure that an investigation will be carried out.

nicnak
17-Jan-06, 18:10
I too agree with you liz I think that the SSPCA do a fantastic job.

valentine
17-Jan-06, 18:18
Bumblebee I am somewhat concerned you say you have seen a stolen dog, did you report it to the sspca and the police? And I agree every true case of animal cruelty should be investigated

Bumblebee
17-Jan-06, 18:35
Of course the dog has been reported!! Dog-knapping is just as much of a crime as animal abuse, make no mistake. A stolen dog will have, at the very least, bad psychological scars and trauma to live with.[mad]

valentine
17-Jan-06, 18:45
Sorry Bumbelbee didnt mean it the way i think youve taken it , I was just concerned that if you had seen a stolen dog that you had reported it.:o) I dont think there was any need for the snappyness of your reply