PDA

View Full Version : Kilt

Ash
15-Oct-08, 09:49
we finally got a kilt for my wee one for her dancing, it was second hand, slightly too long for her, was wondering if anyone could recommend someone for getting it taken up, need it done so that it can be dropped down when she grows

ocd
15-Oct-08, 13:15
The dress maker within Elizabeths in Thurso will do that for a very reasonable price.

changilass
15-Oct-08, 15:44
Do it yourself.

Its not like turning up trousers where you turn up from the bottom edge. What you need to do is unpick the waistband and fold over at the top before reattatching the waist. This way it still hangs right and holds the pleats.

Ash
15-Oct-08, 15:54
Do it yourself.

Its not like turning up trousers where you turn up from the bottom edge. What you need to do is unpick the waistband and fold over at the top before reattatching the waist. This way it still hangs right and holds the pleats.

thanks for that but im not very good at things like that would hate to ruin it

Wispy
15-Oct-08, 22:10
When my daughter's kilt was slightly too long she wore braces as did a few others. then you can let it down to the perfect length as she grows. It never looked too short or too long for her.

Julia
15-Oct-08, 22:52
If it's only slightly too long then I'd go with the braces too, a wee waistcoat over the top will hide the braces

trinkie
16-Oct-08, 08:06
You have been given good advice here..... a kilt should not have a hem - so never give it one.
Shorten it at the waist.
You can let it in or out too, by altering the first pleat.

When we were little we started wearing the kilts below our oxters and by the time we left school it was just a little too short !! What a magnificent garment.

Braces would be the answer for you just now.

Hibeechick
16-Oct-08, 09:38
Hi Ash.

For her dancing kilt its perfectly fine to hem from the bottom. You have the squares to guide you to hem it straight.

Ask Tanya who she would recommend to hem it for you if you dont dancy doing it yourself.

Ash
16-Oct-08, 09:44
Hi Ash.

For her dancing kilt its perfectly fine to hem from the bottom. You have the squares to guide you to hem it straight.

Ask Tanya who she would recommend to hem it for you if you dont dancy doing it yourself.

hey thanks i spoke to her last night about it

thanks for all replies