PDA

View Full Version : Freeview TV reception

dortmunder
14-Oct-08, 14:33
Has anyone got details of the current situation here? Last I heard, there was work being done on the Rumster mast causing problems until approx 8 October. That date's come and gone but for me the reception on all the ITV and Channel Four stations is such that programmes are virtually unwatchable. Some days are better than others but I see no reason why there shouldn't be the same clear reception as there is with the BBC stations on Freeview.

Incidentally, is it just me or do others have to go to the 'high numbers' for ITV2 and ITV3 because the channels where they 'should' be are blank (ITV4 is in the right place however)?

Kevin Milkins
14-Oct-08, 14:43
Has anyone got details of the current situation here? Last I heard, there was work being done on the Rumster mast causing problems until approx 8 October. That date's come and gone but for me the reception on all the ITV and Channel Four stations is such that programmes are virtually unwatchable. Some days are better than others but I see no reason why there shouldn't be the same clear reception as there is with the BBC stations on Freeview.

Incidentally, is it just me or do others have to go to the 'high numbers' for ITV2 and ITV3 because the channels where they 'should' be are blank (ITV4 is in the right place however)?
Had a couple of problems a bit ago but all seems to be working fine now . We are in Wick.

Buttercup
14-Oct-08, 15:28
My freeview, in Thurso, seems to be OK, apart from Sky 3 which tends to be troublesome quite often. Don't know much about these things but maybe someone else will be able to tell me ~ will the reception improve when digital comes along or are we still going to experience problems (eg: especially when there's high pressure in the summer)?:confused

tommy1979
14-Oct-08, 19:29
when the switch over to digital comes the signal will be boosted to 10x our current level, this should finally sort our our crappy freview signal once and for all, this following is taken from http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=ND197385

Switchover overview: Tuesday 1st June 2010: Existing Freeview transmitter. Wednesday 30th June 2010: BBC One C31 closes. BBC Two C27 closes. ITV-1 C24 closes. Channel 4 C21 closes. Mux 1 C28 closes. Mux 2 C22 closes. Mux A C25 closes. Mux B C32 closes. Mux C C62 closes. Mux D C59 closes. Freeview power increase from 1500 W to 15000 W, 10 times stronger. PSB2 starts on C24. COM4 starts on C30. PSB3 starts on C27. COM5 starts on C59. COM6 starts on C62. PSB1 starts on C21. NEW7 starts on C52

ashaw1
14-Oct-08, 20:31
We have exactly the same problem, but some people living in the same area don't. Beginning to think it's something to do with the strength of the signal the Freeview box can pick up, maybe some boxes work fine on a weaker signal.

Buttercup
14-Oct-08, 20:43
when the switch over to digital comes the signal will be boosted to 10x our current level, this should finally sort our our crappy freview signal once and for all, this following is taken from http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=ND197385

Thanks for explaining that for me tommy. :)

Liz
14-Oct-08, 22:31
We have exactly the same problem, but some people living in the same area don't. Beginning to think it's something to do with the strength of the signal the Freeview box can pick up, maybe some boxes work fine on a weaker signal.

I think this is the case. I have a Humax PVR (previously had a Humax Freeview box) and have been told they work well with a weaker signal.

The Angel Of Death
15-Oct-08, 09:54
Same thing here freeview signal i get is basically crap tried a few aerials and even got one of them high gain ones powered and amplified and it made little difference the only option i got is to get an external aerial bolted to the side of the house

dessie
15-Oct-08, 20:39
the digital setup will be switched on around the 18th of november .and it should help withthe freeview problem that is upsetting alot of freeview watchers just like me...cant wait..:Razz

dortmunder
16-Oct-08, 19:25
the digital setup will be switched on around the 18th of november
You've lost me there, I'm afraid. As Freeview IS digital, what's this that's being switched on next month?? Thanks

Fran
19-Oct-08, 04:08
I cant get stv or itv2 on freeview and have been told this will rectify itself when we go digital on 11th november.

olivia
20-Oct-08, 18:07
Hope this date in November is the end of the problems - we lashed out on a HD ready digital TV with built-in Freeview only to have no measurable Freeview at all lately. Its dreadful and seems to be getting worse. Can't even get digital BBC1 or BBC2. The TV keeps coming up with 'this channel is not tuned' so I go to the tuning bit on the menu and still nothing happens. (When we first got it we got all the freeview channels except Film 4).

Tighsonas4
20-Oct-08, 19:57
have a small freeview at present but results much as stated here
have accepted a package from bt to have bt vision
the equipment is free and this router and wireless thing is thrown in
the catch [you must stay stay with them for a year]
£7 a month for the first three and £14 for the rest hope it works [lol] tony

speedo215
20-Oct-08, 22:20
bought a new freeview box today and got all the channels i have got on the one i have already and there is nothing wrong with my signal

Humerous Vegetable
21-Oct-08, 11:06
bought a new freeview box today and got all the channels i have got on the one i have already and there is nothing wrong with my signal

Hi, I'm looking for a freeview box. Can you tell me what make you bought and if you're anywhere near Thurso? Thanks.

badger
21-Oct-08, 11:36
I bought one of the earliest Freeview boxes a few years ago and have no problems so think much of it may be to do with location as I know others near me cannot get it all.

speedo215
21-Oct-08, 20:02
Hi, I'm looking for a freeview box. Can you tell me what make you bought and if you're anywhere near Thurso? Thanks.
the make was sagem and was about £20 in tescos in wick and i also live in wick

Fran
22-Oct-08, 03:22
I have 2 freeview boxes hardly used for sale, which are still selling in tesco

The Angel Of Death
17-Nov-08, 14:53
So has anyone noticed any increase in there signal ? Or has it not been switched on yet ?

footie chick
17-Nov-08, 15:04
So has anyone noticed any increase in there signal ? Or has it not been switched on yet ?

I have some channels working okay but a few are still really bad.

muffin
17-Nov-08, 15:10
We had to tweak our aerial direction as the signal strength had dropped off and unless the aerial was exactly in the right direction the reception was unwatchable and we are right near the transmitter.
This caused some fun and games as the aerial is in the loft with no way of seeing the mast.

olivia
17-Nov-08, 16:51
Still no BBC1, BBC2, Channel 5 etc. and poor reception, if at all on the other freeview channels. Really fed up, when it this all supposed to be OK again? Does anyone know?