PDA

View Full Version : Royal Mail

Thumper
14-Oct-08, 13:28
Just over a month ago I sent off my sons EMA forms by Royal mail,I went to the post office and got the woman to weigh the envelope and tell me the price so that I could put the same postage on the SAE I had to include so that i would know that it was covered properly.Then the whole envelope was returned to me with a sticker on it saying that the postage was underpaid!It took them two weeks to return it and I almost missed the deadline for claiming EMA because of it! (infact I had to send it next day registed to ensure it made it in time)That would have meant that my son would have had no grant for a whole year! I wrote a letter of complaint and today I recieved my reply,it apologised for any inconvenience I had and sent me a book of six stamps....sheesh six stamps for an apology :roll: Now I wasnt expecting any money or anything but a quick note saying sorry and heres six stamps for messing it up seems a tad condoning doesnt it?Am I being a grump or do you think that they should have done a bit more?

Buttercup
14-Oct-08, 15:19
Just over a month ago I sent off my sons EMA forms by Royal mail,I went to the post office and got the woman to weigh the envelope and tell me the price so that I could put the same postage on the SAE I had to include so that i would know that it was covered properly.Then the whole envelope was returned to me with a sticker on it saying that the postage was underpaid!It took them two weeks to return it and I almost missed the deadline for claiming EMA because of it! (infact I had to send it next day registed to ensure it made it in time)That would have meant that my son would have had no grant for a whole year! I wrote a letter of complaint and today I recieved my reply,it apologised for any inconvenience I had and sent me a book of six stamps....sheesh six stamps for an apology :roll: Now I wasnt expecting any money or anything but a quick note saying sorry and heres six stamps for messing it up seems a tad condoning doesnt it?Am I being a grump or do you think that they should have done a bit more?

Sympathise with you Thumper but unfortunately we're in the same boat with the Post Office as with buses and trains. We've no choice if we need the service they provide, we HAVE to use them, they've no competition. They can therefore treat us any way they like and get off with it. [mad]

Anne x
14-Oct-08, 15:49
Buttercup is right Thumper no competition sadly my story not as a important a subject as yours
I Posted a parcel first class like you got it weighed etc for Daughters birthday before 11 am 2 days before her birthday it did not arrive until 4 days later the same day I posted a 1st class card to her in the afternoon and she got it the next day checked my P O receipt and it was 1 st class delivery on parcel all rather odd

wifie
14-Oct-08, 16:27
Thumper I think the least they could have done was a decent apology and a refund of the money you paid for registering the envelope! That is disgusting! Poor service in this country just abounds - total garbage!

floyed
14-Oct-08, 16:35
Your letter got there in time and you got some stamps. I think its apology enough, if you hadn't got the letter there on time then that would be different. I mean come on they are not going to write apology to everyone who's letter might not of made it in time its a big company with thousands of letters going through there is bound to be some mistakes. You should be glad you got anything at all!

wifie
14-Oct-08, 16:55
Floyed I have to disagree. Granted they are a large company and thousands of items of mail will no doubt arrive on time but they should still rectify their mistakes in a satisfactory manner. Thumper went thru the correct process and did not guess the postage required so why should she be out of pocket? As for being glad to get anything at all well that is why companies like this get away with such shocking customer service. Hate bein a grump but poor service just gets my goat!

Thumper
14-Oct-08, 17:07
Your letter got there in time and you got some stamps. I think its apology enough, if you hadn't got the letter there on time then that would be different. I mean come on they are not going to write apology to everyone who's letter might not of made it in time its a big company with thousands of letters going through there is bound to be some mistakes. You should be glad you got anything at all!

My letter got there in time because I stumped up another few pounds to send it registed next day delivery,also had to pay for another envelope to put it in and it made it there on the last day for acceptance so I was very lucky it did!If not my son would have lost out on a whole years EMA through no fault of mine but through the Royal mails inadequate weighing,so it cost me a lot more than the price of six stamps,but thats NOT what is bothering me,whats bothering me is the fact they send a note saying sorry,here's six stamps and thanks for your feedback :eek: IMO its a case of...toughluck if we failed you ,have the stamps and shut up :roll: not a great advert for them is it?x

Angela
14-Oct-08, 17:08
I think it's a pretty poor do, Thumper - but I'm not really too surprised.

Royal Mail lost two packages sent out to me first class. They lay abandoned in the sorting office for almost two weeks, until my own postie stumbled on them. I got an email from RM which said 'sorry' but offered no explanation or recompense.

We accept poor service far too readily at times, people then think they can get away with it, and then of course we just get more of the same! If, like you, we've paid for a service, and done everything the right way, I believe we should object strongly if we don't get the service we should have.

Yesterday my Tesco delivery was almost an hour late, so by the time it arrived I'd been waiting for it for nigh on three hours. I'd phoned customer services once the slot time had been and gone, to be told that "It's only half an hour late, I expect it'll be on its way".:roll:

Nobody had bothered to phone me to tell me it would be late. When the driver finally put in an appearance there was little by way of an apology from him -instead he told me what a hard day he was having! Not that I didn't sympathise, but I had paid for a service and been inconvenienced by the delay.

I'm glad to say customer services phoned me back later to say they had cancelled the delivery charge, as well they might. :)

floyed
14-Oct-08, 17:20
I wrote a letter of complaint and today I recieved my reply,it apologised for any inconvenience I had and sent me a book of six stamps....sheesh six stamps for an apology :roll: Now I wasnt expecting any money or anything but a quick note saying sorry and heres six stamps for messing it up seems a tad condoning doesnt it?Am I being a grump or do you think that they should have done a bit more?[/quote]

What i don't understand is you got what you wanted if i am picking up right you wanted and apology well you got an apology and you got stamps, what kind of apology was you expecting??

percy toboggan
14-Oct-08, 17:54
The sending of stamps was a mere gesture. If your letter had been a tender for a multi-millon pound contract which had been lost because of the Royal Mail's systems would you expect them to fund you the loss in full? I'm really sorry to read of your misfortune here but it's just one of those things. Hopefully writing about it will be cathartic but not everyone will heap sympathy upon you. I do sympathise to a degree , but fear the 'competition' which some speak of (and want) could result in a severe restriction to daily deliveries in out of the way places like rural Caithness.

Tristan
14-Oct-08, 18:17
You can buy indemnity insurance (I believe that is what they call it) to cover loss in bigger amounts. We used it send documents that had to be there in time to close a house deal.
I can understand the delay returning your letter but not the postage shortfall. If it was weighed at the post office with one of their printed postage labels that should have been sufficient - the fault is all theirs.

Thumper
14-Oct-08, 18:35
The apology was sadly lacking,I dont expect grovelling on the knees but I do expect a proper apology,the fact is that they are a big company that you expect to serve you properly and by that I mean when I take time to go and get a letter/parcel wieghed before posting I expect it to be done so properly. I am also annoyed that it took 2 weeks for them to return the parcel,how long does it take to send it back?They had opened it to find where to return it and it had my sons adoption and birth certificates in it,which could easliy have been lost(thankfully there were not) but my point is that none of this should have happened in the first place if it had been checked propely in the post office.Perhaps they should have a stamp that they put on letters/parcels saying "weighed at post office" and that way they couldnt then return it was umder paid!
I am not looking for sympathy,I was merely pointing out that even when they are wrong they just jot down a couple of lines saying oops sorry heres a book of stamps and thanks for the feedback!x

carasmam
14-Oct-08, 20:37
I think it's actually the Post Office you sent it from that you should have a go at, after all it was them that weighed it etc. Yes, Royal Mail took a fortnight to get it back to you, but it helps to put the senders address and postcode on the back to help them return items quickly.

embow
14-Oct-08, 21:00
Ordered a package of 50 blank DVDs from a company yesterday lunchtime. I was e-mailed at 17.11 to say it was dispatched. Arrived with post this morning at 11.15. It came all the way from the other end of the country ie Taunton in Devon in just over 18 hours. I'd say that was mighty impressive Royal Mail. The bonus was that in the price paid for goods £9.99 -- P&P was free!!

rockchick
14-Oct-08, 21:10
Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but is it possible that the weight of the stamp (i.e. 1 gram) was enough to tip the scale of the package's weight to the next category?

Do they tell you how much you are overweight by?

Tristan
14-Oct-08, 21:12
Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but is it possible that the weight of the stamp (i.e. 1 gram) was enough to tip the scale of the package's weight to the next category?

Do they tell you how much you are overweight by?

I have had that happen to me...sigh.

Bad Manners
14-Oct-08, 21:36
We have had occasion to complain after the post office messed up and when we recieved the reply it said we have recieved your enquiry encl Stamps like thumper this is not an apology for their mistake though they have sent six stamps no one has taken any time what so ever to form a reply to any complaint just bung a few stamps in an envelope and forget it
they make no attempt at customer relations what so ever.
the sad thing is most people dont expect much more

brokencross
15-Oct-08, 08:09
I think it's actually the Post Office you sent it from that you should have a go at, after all it was them that weighed it etc.

Yep, couldn't agree more.
The person on the counter is to "blame" and is the one who should be admonished for not putting on the correct postage.
However, these days the criteria for what is a letter, a large letter, a packet depends on the weight and all 3 dimensions so maybe it was border line and the counter assistant gave you the benefit of the doubt, which backfired... OR the automated machinery just didn't like your letter.

As a matter of interest what postage was put on the original EMA application?

unicornleather
15-Oct-08, 08:40
My gripes about the Royal Fail are ;
1) sending my girlfriend 3 WELL (VERY WELL) wrapped bottles and labelled FRAGILE HANDLE WITH CARE of home made wine for a present, on arrival every single bottle was smashed to pieces (then I sent 23 bottles of wine up to her via a courier which weren't as well wrapped as the first 3 bottles, for a party she was having and all arrived next day intact!)
2)Sending an important document using signed for delivery (1st class),there was no reply from (government dept) I was sending it to so rang them, they had no record of it, they told me that if there are lots of signed for letters coming into the building that day the postman just gets one signature for the whole lot, so we pay extra for signed for and STILL can't prove it has been signed for, this was confirmed by the royal mail after I got on to them and it took 6 weeks for me to prove the letter had been delivered!
3)Last straw, sold a saddle on ebay, parcelled it up, measured and weighed the box and it was well under the weight and size to be classed as standard parcels, even had my tape measure in my pocket when I went up the post office to prove it if necessary. Postmaster wouldn't even look at it said it was too big and too heavy, point blank refused and said it was parcel force which, of course, he didn't do, so in a rage I went to the next main post office in our town and it went as standard parcels and post master there said is was well within the weight limit, needless to say I have never been back to the first post office and go out of my way to avoid it.I put in a complaint to the Royal Mail about the post master but of course never had any reply!
When the Royal Mail works well it is good but my experiences and everyone elses it seems shows it is far from perfect.
Oz :)

Thumper
15-Oct-08, 08:55
Well I have written another letter and sent it off using one of the lovely stamps Royal Mail kindly sent me,I have thanked them for the stamps and aslo asked if they would consider using some kind of stamp or label that is put on to items weighed in the post office so that they know it has been weighed by a staff member!Not that it will do any good I suppose :roll:
Rock chick,you are not being pedantic,there is always a small chance that the stamps made it go over weight I suppose but when they dont tell you how much over it is there is no way of knowing.
Brokencross I cant remember exact postage but I think it was around about £1.62
Oh and I did talk to the woman who weighed the parcel originally and she said it was weighed properly and cant understand why it was charged as underweight,she was the one who gave me the complaint form to fill in x

Kevin Milkins
15-Oct-08, 09:20
When I moved house once I did all that was required by the post office regarding change of address.

When I recieved no mail at my new address I contacted PO by phone and it seeems they had made a mistake (long story)

The mistake they made cost me a lot of money and even more stress sorting it out.

I got a short standerd letter of apoligy and six stamps which seems the post office way of dealing with things.

I complained that I was not happy with the way that they had dealt with my complaint so they sent me another six stamps.

If I have cause to complain about anything I always feel much better and satisfied if a pleasant person at the end of a phone line says sorry for the problems they have caused and sound as if they mean it.

Mr P Cannop
15-Oct-08, 09:25
boycot the post office ??

Gizmo
15-Oct-08, 10:22
When I moved house once I did all that was required by the post office regarding change of address.

When I recieved no mail at my new address I contacted PO by phone and it seeems they had made a mistake (long story)

The mistake they made cost me a lot of money and even more stress sorting it out.

I got a short standerd letter of apoligy and six stamps which seems the post office way of dealing with things.

I complained that I was not happy with the way that they had dealt with my complaint so they sent me another six stamps.

If I have cause to complain about anything I always feel much better and satisfied if a pleasant person at the end of a phone line says sorry for the problems they have caused and sound as if they mean it.

The royal mail redirection service in Wick is abysmal, last year i had to use it twice and on both occasions a substantial amount of mail was delivered to my old address, it would seem that some local posties dont know their erse fae thur elbow....Grrrrrrr!

Kevin Milkins
15-Oct-08, 10:28
The royal mail redirection service in Wick is abysmal, last year i had to use it twice and on both occasions a substantial amount of mail was delivered to my old address, it would seem that some local posties dont know their erse fae thur elbow....Grrrrrrr!

My problems was when I moved from Shropshire back to South Wales.:(
I have found the local posties up here very good.:Razz
Hope I have not spoken too soon.:confusedlol

silverfox57
15-Oct-08, 11:12
if you have any complaint's on any royal mail problems was told to report you complaint in head office in inverness,you can get there complaints phone no on royal mail web site,as they have good response service

Moonboots
15-Oct-08, 11:22
Since we have had a change of postman...Im sick to death of getting someone elses mail. Nearly every week i end up with a persons mail living elsewhere in my street or even scrabster...lol. The last postman was brill. I never got anybodys mail. apart from just my own and he used to be aroung about 10am. This new postman... lucky if we see our mail until 3pm.

A big difference if you ask me. Mind u the postman we have doesnt look like a full shilling lol..

Bad Manners
15-Oct-08, 13:48
I have just recieved a recorded to be signed for package from one of my suppliers and it has just been posted through the letter box. I was sitting at my desk and could see the postman as he arrived he saw me and promptly put my mail through the door before I could get to it. this is the second time this has happened once whilst I was out and today.
My point is as far as I am aware the whole point of to be signed for mail is proof that it has arrived with the recipient.The postman did not make any attempt to gain a signature are they right in doing this or am I missing something. I suppose I could always complain maybee get another six stamps. ///////////////what do you think?

Bobinovich
15-Oct-08, 17:30
... it had my sons adoption and birth certificates in it,which could easliy have been lost(thankfully there were not)...

Having had mine and my sisters birth certificates lost (by a life assurance firm) I can recommend whenever sending important documents to use the Next Day Special Delivery service and taking consequential loss insurance out. This covers you not only for the value of the package you are sending but, so long as you can prove the financial consequences of that loss, will even pay out if the package is delivered late.

I sent a consignment of printed materials which never made it to the recipient and as a result I lost a lucrative regular contract. I was able to claim the value of the invoice (£250) plus the maximum consequential loss of £1000 on my package because of it.

henry20
15-Oct-08, 17:53
Having had mine and my sisters birth certificates lost (by a life assurance firm) I can recommend whenever sending important documents to use the Next Day Special Delivery service and taking consequential loss insurance out. This covers you not only for the value of the package you are sending but, so long as you can prove the financial consequences of that loss, will even pay out if the package is delivered late.

I sent a consignment of printed materials which never made it to the recipient and as a result I lost a lucrative regular contract. I was able to claim the value of the invoice (£250) plus the maximum consequential loss of £1000 on my package because of it.

I agree Bob, anything with any financial value should always be sent by special delivery. I would always use special delivery for anything of any importance.

Recorded delivery just goes mainstream, so isn't really much different to using a normal stamp. The only difference is, if a company claimed they never got the item, you can check records and obtain a signature.

Kodiak
15-Oct-08, 19:21
boycot the post office ??

This would be a Pointless exervise as the Problem was with the "Royal Mail" and this is a completely different organisation to the "Post Office"

If you have a Problem with the service with "Royal Mail" and you live Thurso Side, then I suggest you go to the "Royal Mail" Sorting Office and ask to speak to the Manager, Mr Ian Cassells.

Thumper when you had the original package weighed did you have the return Envelope inside? If not this is what could have put it over the weight for the price you was quoted.

Also normally if any mail is underpaid then the person or organisation to whom it is addressed is asked to pay the extra. So it is possible that part of the delay was due to the envelope not being accepted as they refused to pay for the extra postage.

Murdina Bug
16-Oct-08, 22:48
I have just recieved a recorded to be signed for package from one of my suppliers and it has just been posted through the letter box. I was sitting at my desk and could see the postman as he arrived he saw me and promptly put my mail through the door before I could get to it. this is the second time this has happened once whilst I was out and today.
My point is as far as I am aware the whole point of to be signed for mail is proof that it has arrived with the recipient.The postman did not make any attempt to gain a signature are they right in doing this or am I missing something.

The exact same thing happened today at my office in Thurso! The postie came with the slip already filled in and just stuffed it through the letterbox with the mail. He didn't even have the item with him so must have filled out the slip before he left the sorting office. When I collected it I found an A5 size envelope - hardly difficult to carry! Do you think that maybe they only have one signature book and someone else was using it??!