PDA

View Full Version : Junk mail

squareman
14-Oct-08, 11:41
Is it just me that receives a vast volume of unwanted spam e-mails. On average about 200 daily. Is there any way to stop this unwanted mail arriving. I am starting to get very frustrated ! [mad]

Dorrie
14-Oct-08, 11:45
No, not just you. I receive about the same amount each day. It is very annoying. [disgust]

I don't know what can be done about it other than creating rules as filters. But then I still tend to check through the junk mail in case the rule has taken something it shouldn't have done.

squareman
14-Oct-08, 11:55
Oh good ! Someone else in the same boat as me. Can anybody else beat 200 unwanted e-mails ?

MadPict
14-Oct-08, 12:35
Change your email address?

badger
14-Oct-08, 12:57
MadPict is right - when you get to that volume of spam it's the only thing to do. You're in their systems and you won't escape.

If you do start again, never open or forward anything you don't recognise and if you're using Outlook Express keep Preview switched off. Get a spam filter although, as you say, you will still need to check your spam folder in case something you want gets through.

It's a big bad wicked world out there.

mrsmo
14-Oct-08, 13:49
Well I have thought about changing my email address but no doubt "they" would just catch up with me on the new one,
I use my yahoo for nearly everthing and my ISP on Outlook for important mails.
Yes I can get about a hundred spams in Yahoo some days, hardly anything on Outlook.
Beware if you go on holiday for a week its more like thousands, you would think the companies would do more to stop it.
:confused

Metalattakk
14-Oct-08, 16:18
Well I have thought about changing my email address but no doubt "they" would just catch up with me on the new one,
I use my yahoo for nearly everthing and my ISP on Outlook for important mails.
Yes I can get about a hundred spams in Yahoo some days, hardly anything on Outlook.
Beware if you go on holiday for a week its more like thousands, you would think the companies would do more to stop it.
:confused

If you go into your options on your Yahoo Mail page, you can opt to turn on their Spamguard Spam Protection.

Julia
14-Oct-08, 16:27
There are pretty decent programs available for download to weed out all the spam, they are usually about 98% effective

http://www.mailwasher.net/

oldmarine
14-Oct-08, 19:00
There are good suggestions listed above. So far, I have not been plagued with too much junk mail. With a couple clicks I can eliminate all junk mail. However, I do examine all my junk mail very carefully in case something appears there that I want to view.

Big G
14-Oct-08, 20:28
I get spam mail too but not nearly as much as 200 per day! :eek:
i'm with hotmail and i have set my options so that all e-mail addresses NOT in my address book go straight into my Junk Mail box. However, like you say, it still needs to be checked as something may have jumped the net!

trix
14-Oct-08, 21:07
If you go into your options on your Yahoo Mail page, you can opt to turn on their Spamguard Spam Protection.

and then if ye think an address hes escaped thro 'e net intil yer spam pile ye can go in an unblock it.

Ash
16-Oct-08, 09:32
got up this morning logged into my hotmail and in my junk box 249 mails all from the same holiday company saying about winning a holiday, the majority of the mail was a list of peoples email addresses it had been sent to![evil]