PDA

View Full Version : PayPal problem -Santrex Internet Services

Angela
13-Oct-08, 20:53
I had never heard of Santrex Internet Services until I received an email last week from PayPal confirming a transaction of $279. :eek:

At the same time I had another email from Paypal saying they believed there had been 'third party activity' on my PP account.

I changed my password and security questions, and emailed PP to say I had not authorised this transaction, had not ordered from this company and indeed had never heard of them.

PP replied to say the transaction was on hold while they investigated...a couple more emails along the lines of 'be assured we are looking into the case' followed; then I got an email asking for feedback on their customer service and how they had done in 'resolving the case'.

I pointed out that nothing had been resolved and reiterated the fact that I had not authorised this transaction.

I heard no more from PP, but this morning found the money had been taken out of my bank account and the 'case' was no longer under review, but was 'closed'.

I have now started again, emailing a complaint and again saying I did not authorise this transaction and I want the money back.

Bang head off wall. :~(

What do I have to do to prove that I didn't authorise this? And how did these people get my details to present the transaction?

I only use PP about two or three times a year, for small UK transactions, nothing like this one. I really can't afford to lose this money -can anybody advise me what to do next?

starry
13-Oct-08, 20:59
Is there a phone number on the paypal site you can use ?

cemmts
13-Oct-08, 21:01
Phone them its get things done quicker

They are open 6am - 10pm

Did you follow a link to change your details in a email ? Chances is its a "cloned" paypal site that has taken your details.
I', not saying that it is but It has hapend before to many people.

Angela
13-Oct-08, 21:03
Thanks a lot -I searched and searched but couldn't find a phone number -in too much of a panic! :eek:

I'll do it now!

cemmts
13-Oct-08, 21:07
The number is hidden a wee bit... They want everything done by email :(

Angela
13-Oct-08, 21:15
Phone them its get things done quicker

They are open 6am - 10pm

Did you follow a link to change your details in a email ? Chances is its a "cloned" paypal site that has taken your details.
I', not saying that it is but It has hapend before to many people.

No, I didn't use the link in an email.

I'm hanging here on the end of the phone -their non human voice has confirmed the transaction :roll:so it must be PP that has taken the money and I'm waiting to speak to an 'agent'.....:(

colmac
13-Oct-08, 21:27
About a year and a half ago my daughter had £1500 taken out of her bank account via ebay, via paypal in ten transactions over a space of 24 hours. Not once did ebay or paypal query the transactions despite them being odd behaviour for my daughters accounts. She got all her money back after about two weeks and she and I, as well as several friends and family all closed our paypal accounts as a result.:confused Even though paypal were good in helping her recover her money, the trust was gone. Her bank was excellent. They noted that she had been a victim of fraud on their system so that she wouldn't accrue bank charges since the theft made her account overdrawn.

Angela
13-Oct-08, 21:48
About a year and a half ago my daughter had £1500 taken out of her bank account via ebay, via paypal in ten transactions over a space of 24 hours. Not once did ebay or paypal query the transactions despite them being odd behaviour for my daughters accounts. She got all her money back after about two weeks and she and I, as well as several friends and family all closed our paypal accounts as a result.:confused Even though paypal were good in helping her recover her money, the trust was gone. Her bank was excellent. They noted that she had been a victim of fraud on their system so that she wouldn't accrue bank charges since the theft made her account overdrawn.

Thankfully it's not as much as that in my case and there was enough in my bank account to cover it.

Maybe I'll get this back -it's just particularly galling as I've been exceptionally frugal the last couple of weeks! :mad:

Even if I do get the money back, it would be hard to feel comfortable with PP again.

I've given up on the phone for tonight -only so much Vivaldi I can take with the minutes ticking by....I'll try again tomorrow.

Tristan
13-Oct-08, 22:12
I hope it is not an 0845 number.

Can you not reverse it?

rockchick
13-Oct-08, 22:29
If you don't like the 0870 numbers, you can call Paypal (Europe) at 020 86053000, or if you are in merchant sales, then you get to call Paypal free 0800 3587929.

Kenn
14-Oct-08, 00:04
I consistently get spam paypal e-mails and always bin them, maybe by accident or otherwise you have inadvertently opened one of them... could be worth a check, I never acknowledge any transactions, correspondence etc..unless it is verified through a site.
Hope you get your money back.

jings00
14-Oct-08, 14:08
what about an indemnity claim via the bank? you get the money back from the bank, then the bank will chase "them" for the amount?
i think that is how it works.
good luck.

Flyermonkey
14-Oct-08, 17:51
Have you tried contacting Santrex Internet Services?

http://www.santrex.net/contact.php

They seem to be legitimate so its possible that someone has used your account to buy something from them so they may well be able to trace the payment back for you and refund it?

My previous experiences with trying to get money from Paypal has been that their customer services are truly appalling...

Angela
14-Oct-08, 17:58
Have you tried contacting Santrex Internet Services?

http://www.santrex.net/contact.php

They seem to be legitimate so its possible that someone has used your account to buy something from them so they may well be able to trace the payment back for you and refund it?

My previous experiences with trying to get money from Paypal has been that their customer services are truly appalling...

Hi Flyermonkey,

PP have now opened a new 'case' - a claim rather than a complaint. They say they will ask Santrex more questions..who knows what? :roll:

That could take 7 days, so I'll wait and see what happens...if anything!

I did google Santrex Internet Services and they certainly do exist, but I could also see customers complaining that they had paid for a service and never received it.

If I don't get any satisfaction from PP, I will try direct contact with Santrex, and failing that my bank have said I should get back to them....

Thanks a lot, everybody, for your helpful suggestions. :)

oldmarine
14-Oct-08, 19:15
I consistently get spam paypal e-mails and always bin them, maybe by accident or otherwise you have inadvertently opened one of them... could be worth a check, I never acknowledge any transactions, correspondence etc..unless it is verified through a site.
Hope you get your money back.

I've had the same situation as LIZZ. I get messages from Paypal but ignore them. I've never been billed by them.

Big G
14-Oct-08, 20:22
i also get spam e-mails supposedly from PP asking me to update my account but just delete them. If your details were needed to be updated, the next time you log on to PP it would tell you then.

I had to phone PP last week - thought i had the wrong credit card on my account but thankfully i was just being stupid and looking at the wrong numbers! DOH! - anyway got through no bother, didn't have to wait in a Q and they were very helpful.

Never had any problems with ebay or PP with regards to money magically disappearing out my account *Touches wood* and hope i never do!

Hope you get it sorted in the end.

unicornleather
14-Oct-08, 22:56
Make sure you have downloaded the "ebay account guard" onto your computer, it checks the ebay and PP sites and if they are spoof sites it warns you

Angela
20-Oct-08, 09:17
Just to let you know that PP have concluded their second investigation and now agree that the transaction was indeed unauthorised.

The money is on its way back from my PP account to my bank account.

Hurrah! what a relief. :D :D

golach
20-Oct-08, 09:24
Just to let you know that PP have concluded their second investigation and now agree that the transaction was indeed unauthorised.

The money is on its way back from my PP account to my bank account.

Hurrah! what a relief. :D :D
Well done Angela, what a relief for you.

Angela
20-Oct-08, 09:29
Well done Angela, what a relief for you.

Sure is! :)

It does feel like banging your head against the proverbial brick wall -but I'd say to anyone else that this happens to, don't give up, keep on at them over and over and over again.

Phew! ;)