PDA

View Full Version : Rant about postcode charges

Dorrie
12-Oct-08, 23:36
Does nobody else get upset at being charged extra because we have a KW postcode? I am finding it more and more common on the internet now and I refuse to buy from sites that make extra charges for being on the British mainland! [evil] The annoying thing is sometimes I can't get what I want anywhere else!

Torvaig
12-Oct-08, 23:39
Does nobody else get upset at being charged extra because we have a KW postcode? I am finding it more and more common on the internet now and I refuse to buy from sites that make extra charges for being on the British mainland! [evil] The annoying thing is sometimes I can't get what I want anywhere else!

Yes......:) http://forum.caithness.org/search.php?searchid=313025

horseman
13-Oct-08, 02:39
Hi Dorrie good point an welcome :)

Scunner
13-Oct-08, 10:31
Ordered large roll of bubblewrap on ebay, free delivery, paid immediately and then had a phone call to say the wanted an extra £8.00 because of KW postcode. Told them I didnt want it then, and they had the nerve to say that they would have to pay ebays charges. Tough. Checked their terms and it was difficult to understand. Checked then with another company before placing an order. No problem, their charge was as stated.

KCI
13-Oct-08, 10:42
It is ridiculous!
I'm not happy this morning!
I was on a website, and saw a perfect Christmas present for my son. It was £9.99, and had previously cost £40, so I was quite happy with myself! Added it to the basket, then went to the checkout - and they charged me £9.99 + £39.00 Delivery, because we are in the Scottish Highlands!
I sent them an e-mail to complain, but I doubt if that will get me anywhere!

badger
13-Oct-08, 12:04
Many of us have complained about this for years, John Thurso has also raised it - seems nothing works. As with so many things - they don't care about us. They don't know where we are, they don't know people live up here, they think we're an island, they think there is nothing worth seeing here for tourists. Unfortunately they also don't care (see bus thread).

I won't say what I would like to do to whoever set up the database all these companies use as I might get banned [disgust] . It wouldn't even help to change our postcode, although it might get us back to the mainland, as even Inverness doesn't fare very well with delivery charges.

Shabbychic
13-Oct-08, 16:58
I have just this minute sent an email to myprotein.co.uk for this very reason. The item I was thinking of buying weighs 100g, and with Royal Mail would cost £1.25, but because I stay in the Scottish Highland they can only send the item via Parcel Force at a cost of £8.99.

Earlier I ordered an item of the same weight from Vet UK Ltd. They deliver to me free via Royal Mail.

I wait with interest to see what the myprotein team have to say for themselves.

AfternoonDelight
13-Oct-08, 17:00
Our house orders LOADS of stuff over the internet, Ebay, Play.com etc and we have NEVER been hit with extra charges because of where we live...

By the way - it's a clever house!

hotrod4
13-Oct-08, 17:35
What makes matters worse is AJG parcels.
They get paid by suppliers to provide an overnight delivery before 12 but cant deliver until 5pm ish.They dont discount and if you dont tell the supplier they still charge them (and us) for the privilege of not providing a service.

I ordered my new PC from warrington, it left there at 9am on Thursday. It arrived in Inverness at 23:30 that night.They never scanned it until 13:30 on Friday. Wouldnt deliver it on Saturday as it wasnt a "Saturday" paid for service. SO never got the PC until 5pm on Monday.
And that was on a 24hr sevice which I paid £30 for!!!!!!

They are an absolute unproffesional sham and its companies like them that make a mockery of these "inflated" postal charges.

I try to avoid them if I can and tell all suppliers that I deal with that they dont DELIVER what they promise :(

bekisman
13-Oct-08, 17:54
Two days ago:
Sir: I would have been interested in ordering xxxxx from you but for some reason on your website you state that where I live (by Thurso, Caithness ON the UK Mainland) is Not 'UK Mainland' - I would love to know exactly where I do live?: "UK Mainland only excludes Scottish Highlands"

Dear xxxx, "Scottish Highlands" is defined by a delivery address postcode according to the terms and conditions of the individual carrier. Thurso is classified as a more expensive delivery zone by our carriers DHL & Fedex UK. Unfortunately any delivery north of Glasgow/Edinburgh region is subject to an increased carriage charge. The charge for the xxxxxx will therefore be an additional £9.95. Apologies if this has caused confusion...
Yet the weird thing is if anyone ordered from this company and wanted it delivered southwards from the company location AND was further in distance - then that's fine!

rockchick
13-Oct-08, 23:55
I think a major part of the problem is that most carriers do not go north of Inverness, so couriers have to sub-contract this part of the shipping. Subcontractors (funnily enough) want to be paid, hence the added charges.

Until there's enough folk living up-a-ways, enough to make it commercially viable for major carriers to have regular shipments, then you're kinda out of luck.

DeHaviLand
14-Oct-08, 00:38
I think a major part of the problem is that most carriers do not go north of Inverness, so couriers have to sub-contract this part of the shipping. Subcontractors (funnily enough) want to be paid, hence the added charges.

Until there's enough folk living up-a-ways, enough to make it commercially viable for major carriers to have regular shipments, then you're kinda out of luck.

Off the top of my head carriers going north of Inverness include; DHL, TNT, Home Delivery Network, Parcelfarce, M&H, SPDS, AJG, Palletways. It would appear your guess is way out.

Dorrie
14-Oct-08, 09:10
One good thing about the delivery charges that happened to me recently, was that I was going to guy lights from the internet. They were going to cost me £161, but they were what I was looking for. They tried to charge me an extra £10 for delivery - even though it should have been free so I told them they had lost the sale.
The next weekend I went to Inverness, managed to find the same lights and a matching wall light for £105! So, there you go, I saved a bundle! Well, I would have done if I hadn't seen this really nice mirror which I bought! hehe

Torvaig
14-Oct-08, 10:08
Dorrie = 10 points; internet buying = nil points! Well done Dorrie :lol: And I am sure the mirror is worth it......

Dorrie
14-Oct-08, 11:51
It is, I am really pleased with it. Made in Scotland too and I have contacted the makers and they have made me a matching clock, so I am even more pleased now! :)

Murdina Bug
16-Oct-08, 22:52
Just wanted to order curtains from a website only to be met with this. It just makes my blood boil - and notice that they state that it is the couriers which add the surcharge so they must be used to having complaints on the subject.

Delivery to a UK mainland address is free on all orders above £100.00, below this amount £6.95 is charged
Delivery to Northern Ireland, the Highlands and Islands is free on all orders above £150.00, below this amount £9.95 is charged (upto 1.80 metres)
Delivery to The Channel Islands is free an all orders above £150.00, below this amount £10.95 is charged (upto 1.5 metres)
Please note that all additional charges are set by our couriers and not Linen 4 Less
Orders will be delivered by either DHL, City Link, Royal Mail or Interlink Express. Deilivery times are usually between 8am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday. Remember, If we can help, we will

Tristan
16-Oct-08, 22:54
I don't understand how trading standards can allow so many companies to use the term "UK Mainland" and not mean it.

hotrod4
17-Oct-08, 06:48
I don't understand how trading standards can allow so many companies to use the term "UK Mainland" and not mean it.

Maybe we should dig a big hole south of Sutherland,fill it with water and declare ourselves an independent Island. That way when the Lybster Oil boom takes off they will soon want to join up with us again and we will officaily be "The mainland" again!! ;)

The macs
17-Oct-08, 21:58
I totally agree it is such a rip off. I had a huge argument with a German company about being on mainland UK and eventually told them to look at a map!! The obviously did and backed down and didn't charge me island delivery charge:Razz