PDA

View Full Version : Murray Family

scotsannie
12-Oct-08, 20:25
:( Hoping someone can assist with my enquiry, I am looking for the parents of John Murray who married Margaret Budge 29th March 1844 her parents were John Budge and Margaret Burgess, I have Margaret as being born in Fordyce Banffshire, but I can't seem to find the parents of John (My Gt.Gt Grandad) Annie

cuthill
12-Oct-08, 22:15
I found John and Margaret in the 1881 census both 57 years old,and Margaret was born Portsoy,Banff,John was born in Olrig.Then the only John Murray born in Olrig on 28/03/1824 had the parents Donald Murray and Catherine Gillach

scotsannie
13-Oct-08, 16:09
:) Thank you Cuthill for your reply it was so helpful.

Rosemary Skea
18-Oct-08, 05:48
I found John and Margaret in the 1881 census both 57 years old,and Margaret was born Portsoy,Banff,John was born in Olrig.Then the only John Murray born in Olrig on 28/03/1824 had the parents Donald Murray and Catherine Gillach

Donald and Catherine had another son William born 15/3/1826. The family lived at Tain in Olrig and witness to both births/baptisms were William Murray and Elizabeth Gollach. Catherine's surname is Gollach rather than Gillach, I think. I have transcribed the Olrig OPR and also found Catherine born 20/3/1796, father William Gollach and mother * Stephen. , at Stangergill, Olrig. Witness JAmes Stephen and Isabella Bremner. Donald and Catherine's marriage is recorded in Dunnet. They were proclaimed on 11 November 1821 and married on 8th December 1821.

1841 census has Catherine a farmer with John and William at Tain in Olrig. 1851 census has Catherine a widow and farmer of 18 acres with William a labourer. John is not there.
Will look up the MI book if that would be a help.

Rosemary

Rosemary Skea
18-Oct-08, 06:46
:( Hoping someone can assist with my enquiry, I am looking for the parents of John Murray who married Margaret Budge 29th March 1844 her parents were John Budge and Margaret Burgess, I have Margaret as being born in Fordyce Banffshire, but I can't seem to find the parents of John (My Gt.Gt Grandad) Annie

The following is the inscription for lair no 24 in the Olrig churchyard : John Murray 29.12.1886 61, Margt Budge 13.12.1916 93, fam Margt 23.9.1891 45(h Wm Manson), Matilda 13.3.1904 44, John Budge 16.11.1910 63,Alex 30.11.1925 73 all d Castletown, Don and Wm lost at dea, David Chicago.

Rosemary

Rosemary Skea
18-Oct-08, 06:57

Donald Murray, 14.2.1782, parents James Murray and Janet Cogill. also David, 5.2.1774, Alexander 19.11.1776 and Elizabeth 29.10.1779. This could be your family . All born at Tain in Olrig

Rosemary

scotsannie
18-Oct-08, 16:13
:D Rosemary,
Thank you so much for all the information you have provided, it has been so helpful. Are you related? when you said you could look up the MI book what exactly is that? Thank you once again. Judith.

Rosemary Skea
18-Oct-08, 22:27
:D Rosemary,
Thank you so much for all the information you have provided, it has been so helpful. Are you related? when you said you could look up the MI book what exactly is that? Thank you once again. Judith.

MI book is the Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855 for Caithness which are in 4 volumes. It was published in 1992 but does not include extensions or new grounds at some of the graveyards. I have all the books and can look for burials for you if you want. I am not related but my Budge family were originally from Caithness and I have transcribed OPR and also done a lot of work for FREECEN on Caithness census purely for my own research, but I also enjoy being able to assist other researchers .

Rosemary

scotsannie
19-Oct-08, 16:47
:lol: Rosemary,

Thank you for explaining that to me, I will have a look on my paperwork and get back to you. My mother's family go back to Alexander Bain (The inventor) he was my 4 x Gt Uncle, his dad was my 4 x Gt Grandad. We are also related to the Sinclair's - James the chamberlain and even further back. I have Margaret Budge born 1821 Banff who was my Gt,Gt Granny. is there a connection to your family? Do you have further information on Donald and William Murray who were lost at Sea? Thanks Judith

Tricia
22-Oct-08, 16:23
OM 10 MAY 1820 Fordyce Banff BUDGE JOHN / MARGARET BURGESS/FR1461 153 5 5
Christening - the only one I found.
OC 23 APR 1821 Fordyce Banff Margaret to JOHN BUDGE/MARGARET BURGESS 153 5 5

Tricia
22-Oct-08, 17:27
:lol: Rosemary,

Thank you for explaining that to me, I will have a look on my paperwork and get back to you. My mother's family go back to Alexander Bain (The inventor) he was my 4 x Gt Uncle, his dad was my 4 x Gt Grandad. We are also related to the Sinclair's - James the chamberlain and even further back. I have Margaret Budge born 1821 Banff who was my Gt,Gt Granny. is there a connection to your family? Do you have further information on Donald and William Murray who were lost at Sea? Thanks Judith

Your George Sinclair b 1845 app in Latheron m to Georgina Bain. Several children Watten. Then lived Halkirk. Was he son of George & Francisina (both Sinclair)?
Tricia

scotsannie
22-Oct-08, 21:01
:lol: Thanks for the information re the Budge's. Yes George and Francisina were my 3 x Gt Grandad and Granny. They had 8 or 9 children.

Tricia
23-Oct-08, 21:31
:lol: Thanks for the information re the Budge's. Yes George and Francisina were my 3 x Gt Grandad and Granny. They had 8 or 9 children.

Judith,
I am sure we will yet find we relate. :) Possibly with Sinclair & Budge,
and if you get your Murray back to early 1700 Watten Olrig and then Wick - James Murray Janet Manson family that would be great.
Children born to them in Wick between 1718 and 1727 Anne Alex Janet Margaret John Isabel Marjory
Tricia

scotsannie
24-Oct-08, 14:18
:lol: Hi Tricia,

As you can see from the above post, I have been informed that my G.G. Grandad's (John Murray) father was Donald and Catherine Gollach and his father was James Murray and Janet Coghill. I am still trying to find a marriage for them and birth's. What is your relationship with the Sinclair's and Budge's ? You can always pm if you like with details,
Judith