PDA

View Full Version : epilepsy

Bob's Ma
12-Oct-08, 14:48
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone out there has a dog with epilepsy. Our Collie Bob has had this condition for a few years now, and I must admit I find it very hard to deal with. I do realise we are lucky in that he usually has quite long good spells in-between his fits, but he also has a tendency to have clusters of fits rather than one-offs. I know there is no miracle cure, but as I don't know anyone else who has this problem, I just wondered about other people's experience.
Cheers

flojo
12-Oct-08, 16:28
hi, i know how u feel! my 6yr old collie cross was having mild head tremors, when we took him to the vet they said it was mild epilepsy and that it can quite often be found in collies and sometimes so mild that it can be un noticed.
its hard to see happening knowing theres nothing u can do. His tremors arnt very often but when they do occur its like he has no idea its happening, his head just wobbles but he acts normal! We did find that certain treats like frolics were triggering them. Thankfully it happens very rarely these days, but when they do i tempt him with a toy and he seems to come out of it!

Bob's Ma
12-Oct-08, 18:15
Hi Flojo

That sounds horrible too, like you say it's the having to watch it all unfold and knowing there is nothing you can do to help. With Bob when he has a single fit he is usually ok, but when he clusters then he gets very confused, doesn't recognise us and totally loses his personality. The day he wags his tail and shows a little recognition is such a relief because you know he is on the road to recovery again.

I'm really glad you have found a way of helping your dog come round from his tremors now, and hopefully they will get fewer and fewer for him in the future.

justine
12-Oct-08, 19:11
my mother had a yorkshire terrier that had epilepsy and it was so hard to watch him go through it. We would close all curtains and keep him quiet until he finished it.
He was given medication, the only problem being he would only take it if he had it wrapped in something he could eat..eg milkyway, but chocolate is no good for dogs as we all know, but a minute piece of milkyway with the tab wrapped in it worked a treat.

He was diagnosed with it at 8 mths old and he lived until he was 19 and it was a weak heart that took him. Unpleasent it may be but they can live a full life.

teenybash
13-Oct-08, 09:32
My mother in law had a beautiful white boxer who had epilepsy. She was put on medication to help control the fits which resulted in her keeling over. Whenever the telltale signs appeared that she was going to fit coffee table would be moved to prevent her knocking herself. Once the fit was over, big cuddles for her................she lived a happy life till she was 18 years old........:)