PDA

View Full Version : Wick Harbourfest 2009

trinkie
11-Oct-08, 17:10
I'm so delighted to hear another Harbourfest will take place next year... and a Herring Queen ! That is great news.

"We have crowned a Herring Queen
She's the fairest ever seen
And our boats will put to see right cheery O "

It will be another wonderful occasion for Wick Harbour.

Tristan
11-Oct-08, 19:50
I enjoyed seeing all the boats the last time - I hope this time is it as good or better!:D

Bruce_H
11-Oct-08, 20:34
So I see they are going to try and tie this in to the Scotland Homecoming 2009 events, which I had hoped to attend. Can Wick survive the influx of Yanks, Cannucks, Kiwis and Aussies that might show up?

:lol:

What surprises me is how little visibility there is to Caithness as a rich historical and heritage area of the world. To be honest, until I started digging and doing research, very little was known in my generation about our history in Dunbeath or Caithness in general.

I am hoping to possibly be in Scotland for the Homecoming myself with several US Hendesons in tow, provided the economy does not disintegrate to such a state that it's not longer economically possible.

Bruce H

domino
11-Oct-08, 22:36
I remember the Herring Queens of the 40's and 50's and felt disgusted by the whole thing. There were girls who were Queens and their entitlement was very dubious.There were girls who had generations of fishermen in their families but were never considered. it was a damn disgrace!!

horseman
12-Oct-08, 02:11
Ouch-I never saw it as that-
Very young lad then an just out of war time austerity. We were obviously looking at it from different eyes.
Can you go on a bit there domino.!

Moira
12-Oct-08, 18:58
I'm so delighted to hear another Harbourfest will take place next year... and a Herring Queen ! That is great news.....

I think it's great news too trinkie. I'm too young to remember the Herring Queens but it brings to mind a funny, family story. When my brother was courting my future sister-in-law, who is not a native of Caithness, they were looking at some old photos. She announced "Oooooh, I'd have loved to have been a Harbour Queen!" :eek: Ok, she got the terminology slightly wrong and, needless to say, we never miss the opportunity to remind her of this!

So I see they are going to try and tie this in to the Scotland Homecoming 2009 events, which I had hoped to attend. Can Wick survive the influx of Yanks, Cannucks, Kiwis and Aussies that might show up?....

I think Wick will survive Bruce. I do hope you make it over and enjoy some good, old Caithness hospitality. :)