PDA

View Full Version : Goldcrest in garden

Ricco
11-Oct-08, 16:24
Wow! Just had a Goldcrest come down to the pond for a drink - sat on the old watering can for a couple of minutes before trying to get a drink from the water by clinging on a reed. Looked lovely with that golden blaze on its head.

domino
11-Oct-08, 22:40
Some folk have all the luck!!

Ricco
12-Oct-08, 10:46
It had gone before I could even get out of the chair to head for the camera, but I will now keep it handy just in case. (on another thread... I wonder if there is a Justin Case?)

Sadly, many small birds like the Goldcrest never make it to the terminus of their migration - Spain and beyond. Instead they fall exhausted into the sea or get eaten by gulls. We used to get loads of the wee landing on the boat when we were out fishing in Spring. They used to rest on our heads, our rods, in the cabin... anywhere. Cute!

the_count
12-Oct-08, 21:27
shame you didn't have the camera to hand lol the best shot i have is one taken in the local woods near wick and unless you know your birds you wouldn't know it lol but here it is anyway. :lol:
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/countlicker/birds/P1030934.jpg

groatsgirl
14-Nov-08, 03:56
I'm out at John O' Groats i have a whole family of Goldcrests living in my garden , i notice them around more in the winter time which is probably due to the lack of leaves , they are so cute .

kas
14-Nov-08, 10:09
You will also see more in the winter as we get migrants from the continent. I remember being a Noss Head in November a few years ago, and they were everywhere, having made the journey over the North sea the previous evening. So cute and our smallest bird in the UK.

Kevin Milkins
14-Nov-08, 10:54
I don't think I have ever seen a goldcrest,so I will be keeping my eye open for them just now.:eek:
I have took to walking the dog late at night (after midnight) and going down the hill by the church near Somerfield the song birds are giving it full blast as if its spring.:Razz

Iffy
14-Nov-08, 11:55
About 9 years ago I worked in the Tourist Information Centre in John O' Groats and one day a woman came in quite upset as she'd seen a wee bird in the front foyer trying to get out. My Dad arrived at this point and using a chair managed to catch it in his hands from where it was perched high up on a beam. The three of us went outside to release it when a man my Dad knew came along and asked to see the wee bird in his hands. Cupping his hands carefully, Dad managed to let the man see it. The guy gave an almighty gasp and said, "You've actually caught a Goldcrest !!!!" The wee thing was making one heck of a racket and you could see the top of its head was ablaze in anger !!!! Beautiful to have been SO close to such a lovely bird and then to see it fly away !!!!

WeeBurd
02-Dec-08, 15:12
I'm thrilled to have spotted my first Goldcrest here at lunchtime. The bonnie wee birdie was having a flit about the rowan tree for a fair while before he took off. I managed to get one shot of him... and many of bare branches - my, they're fast wee things!!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn7/w33burd/Birds/2008%2012/DSCF4482.jpg

Buttercup
02-Dec-08, 16:26
I'm thrilled to have spotted my first Goldcrest here at lunchtime. The bonnie wee birdie was having a flit about the rowan tree for a fair while before he took off. I managed to get one shot of him... and many of bare branches - my, they're fast wee things!!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn7/w33burd/Birds/2008%2012/DSCF4482.jpg

Well done managing to "capture" the little fellow, he's very smart looking.A bit smaller then your own wee burdies. :lol:

WeeBurd
02-Dec-08, 20:57
Indeed! When I explained that we had a tiny tiny wee birdie in the garden, the big yin did ask "Is he as little as a Coal Tit, Mummy?" - they've definitely inherited their Mummy's love of the birds! :lol: