PDA

View Full Version : Another computer question. Sorry

porshiepoo
13-Jan-06, 23:44
Well, the nice man has managed to get my puter up and running again after I accidentally formatted the drive and lost everything. :o
Only problem I have now is that my keyboard appears to be moving keys around and I can't get the pound sign. Any ideas?
I've gone into regional settings and made she it's set up for British.
I've checked the keyboard properties and it's set up for English (US) 101, and I don't have any options to change it back again. Theres no GB option.
I know there must be something somewhere cos I changed it when I first got it but I can't remember how I did it. Completely lost.

Any help please??????????????

jjc
14-Jan-06, 00:36
Hi Porshiepoo,

I’m assuming that when you go into Control Panel (START | CONTROL PANEL) you get a list of categories under the heading ‘Pick a Category’ (this is the default). If you don't have 'Pick a Category' in Control Panel then select 'Switch to category view' on the left hand side and you'll see it.

Go to ‘Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options’ and click ‘Add Other Languages’.

In the new window, click the ‘Details’ button. You'll now have a nice window like this (click to enlarge):

What options do you have in the drop down, 'Default input language'? If you have "English (United Kingdom) - United Kingdom" [as shown in the image above] then select it and click Apply.

If you don't then click 'Add' and select 'English (United Kingdom)'. Once you have done this you will be able to select "English (United Kingdom) - United Kingdom" in the drop-down as above and click Apply.

In either case, once you have clicked Apply you will be able to click on the 'US' keyboard entry in the 'Installed Services' box and click 'Remove'. This will stop it from reverting back to a US keyboard.

I hope that hasn't confused you even more. Good luck.

JJC

EDDIE
14-Jan-06, 01:00
Theres nothing to be sorry about the people that uses these boards are glad to help out.

porshiepoo
14-Jan-06, 11:27
Thanks for that jjc but I don't seem to have the options that you have. I'm running windows ME, does this make a difference??
I'll keep trying though.

porshiepoo
14-Jan-06, 11:35
Right I couldn't find the options you said in regional settings but I have found something similar under keyboard options. The keyboard is set to english (US international) and when I click add, it doesn't allow me to change to UK it just gives me the options of about 6 other languages but won't let me add a new one.

When I go into regional settings it's set for language english and region UK. There are no options to change anything either.

I'm completely stumped now!

pedromcgrory
14-Jan-06, 11:41
mine used to that after i reformatted i just had to change it to uk settings its the 2 that is ur @ sign just now probally

porshiepoo
14-Jan-06, 12:06
mine used to that after i reformatted i just had to change it to uk settings its the 2 that is ur @ sign just now probally

Yep it sure is. Thing is I don't seem to have uk options in the keyboard properties only us and the regional settings are all set to UK.
It's baffling!!!!!!!!

lassieinfife
14-Jan-06, 12:49
mines is start > control panel>regional and language settings, on regional tab click drop down menu select english uk apply

Fesman
14-Jan-06, 12:57
You will need to install Language support, before you do anything.

In WinME follow these steps:

1. Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Click the Windows Setup tab.
4. In the Components list, check the Multilanguage Support checkbox, and then click on the Details button.
5. Select the check boxes next to the languages that you want to use and click OK.
6. In the Add/Remove Programs Window, click OK.
7. Click no to avoid restarting.

Then:

1. Go to windows Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Keyboard.
3. Click the Language tab.
4. Click Add and select languages
5. Click OK.
6. In the Keyboard Properties Menu, click OK.
7. Restart.

EDDIE
14-Jan-06, 13:09
Every time you format your computer and install windows of any version the regional and keyboard settings is english U.S as default thats why the @ becomes " and so on you have to change it back to english Uk and delete the english U.S the settings is all in the control panel unfortunatley it varies in icons to the type of operating system.
The other thing is well is when you have an older version of windows the modem can give problems in getting it to work thats one thing thats good about windows xp you dont have the same hasstle with installing it compared to older versions

jjc
14-Jan-06, 15:59
I'm running windows ME
*shudders*

I think Fesman has the steps above. Good luck

porshiepoo
14-Jan-06, 18:14
You will need to install Language support, before you do anything.

In WinME follow these steps:

1. Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Click the Windows Setup tab.
4. In the Components list, check the Multilanguage Support checkbox, and then click on the Details button.
5. Select the check boxes next to the languages that you want to use and click OK.
6. In the Add/Remove Programs Window, click OK.
7. Click no to avoid restarting.

Right I done all that.
Problem I had is that all the languages I appear to be able to choose from are not English, not one of em.
Then:

1. Go to windows Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Keyboard.
3. Click the Language tab.
4. Click Add and select languages
5. Click OK.
6. In the Keyboard Properties Menu, click OK.
7. Restart.

The languages I get in this part are not english at all or are US only.

I wouldn't be bothered really byt I need the poxy pound sign. Any other ideas or have I just got a dodgy keyboard???? lol.

Fesman
14-Jan-06, 23:21
The only other thing I can think of right now is that you have the wrong keyboard layout installed.

Go back into the control panel > keyboard.

Click the language tab and then click properties. This should open the keyboard layout menu

In the drop down menu select British (English UK... or whatever it is in Win ME)

Click OK

Then follow step 4 onward (second part above)

If that doesn't work try using United States 101 layout instead.

There is a possibility that you may need to restart your computer after selecting the layout.