PDA

View Full Version : A Piece of Wick Radio History....in film

brokencross
10-Oct-08, 07:46
Don't know if this has been posted before but shows days of yore at Wick Radio , maybe some old faces will be recognised. Worth a watch. Lifeboat as well

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXhVI5p1mw

Venture
10-Oct-08, 09:32
Many thanks for the link brokencross. I really enjoyed it and recognised a few faces but couldn't think of the names apart from one which was Neil Leitch.

Kevin Milkins
10-Oct-08, 09:54
Thank you for that link brockencross it was very interesting.
It seeemed also that being a smoker in those days must have been viewed as being a very glamourous pastime.
To see people light a ciggy at there work stations seems very odd now.

coppertop 1958
10-Oct-08, 10:39
Wick Radio started it's life as a communications facility for the Admiralty under which it operated under the callsign BYG. Opened somewhere around 1908, the station was a vital facilty in the First World War and a link to the Grand Fleet based in Scapa Flow. With stations at Portpatrick and Grimsby, the stations was taken over by the Post Office in 1920.

http://coastradio.intco.biz/uk/gkr/history.htm

trinkie
10-Oct-08, 10:50
Many thanks for that - Great Stuff !! I remember the boats mentioned.

Trinkie

pat
10-Oct-08, 10:56
Yes recognised Neil Leitch, John Macaskill, Jim Kay and a few other faces but will have to put thinking cap on to remember the names.

Used to really identify Wick Radio when they said it as Wick RAD-io, Wick RAD-io, Wick RAD-io.

Agree it was the done thing for practically all to smoke at work - no complaints were made!

plumber
10-Oct-08, 11:09
Enjoyed watching this.

Angela
10-Oct-08, 12:07
Thanks for posting that link, brokencross.

Fascinating stuff -and brought back some great memories! :)

TBH
10-Oct-08, 12:30
Here's some more:
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=_gy_A2mI_Sg

dirdyweeker
10-Oct-08, 15:23
brokencross and TBH thanks for some very interesting video footage from Wick Radio days. Brought back many memories. Even saw a relation of mine on the Bluebell. Did anyone listen to the French ship calling Wick Radio during the "Bluebell" incident? "Week" radio.....sounded just like us Wickers!:lol:

balto
10-Oct-08, 15:37
i have decided i must be getting old, as i found that interesting lol.

brokencross
11-Oct-08, 11:49
In the medico clip I am 99.9999% sure the doctor says "You say he has no temperature or PULSE and no tenderness..Good".

No pulse sounds pretty serious to me!!?

tommy1979
11-Oct-08, 13:12
In the medico clip I am 99.9999% sure the doctor says "You say he has no temperature or PULSE and no tenderness..Good".

No pulse sounds pretty serious to me!!?

haha yeah I thought the exact same

Tighsonas4
11-Oct-08, 20:30
wonder who was in the wheelhouse at that time ??? its quick shots of the crew at the end but one was one of the twins plowman
wick radio was going full blast for quite some time after that something else that is gone tony

TBH
11-Oct-08, 20:32

No pulse sounds pretty serious to me!!?She did and stomach powder is not going to help.[lol]

silverfox57
11-Oct-08, 21:00
great link, sad to see how wick harbor,as lost its fleet ,we would be waiting for fleet to come back in and ask for a fry,remember going home with two cod the size of my legs,think have of wick lived of fish in 1960s

Partan
12-Oct-08, 19:46
The manager at that time was Sandy Mowat, a Keisser (brother of Jamesie who drove for Dunnets Buses and was local cooncillor). Sandy is the guy who tells Jimmy Kay - very stiltedly - to pass the information about the Bluebell to the Coastguard. As I remember the skipper of the Bluebell was George Mackintosh from Portskerra.

Partan