PDA

View Full Version : The Glebe Stone.

Gleber2
13-Jan-06, 20:53
Some body asked me today if I knew anything about the Stone.Appart from its where-abouts and the tradition which stated that we had to touch it(or spit on it?)every time we passed it,I know nothing.The white stone,which used to be in the wall arround the Manse,has been moved.Does anyone know what happened to it and how the tradition started?

daviddd
13-Jan-06, 20:58
s'a bit vague Gleber2 - where abouts are you?

jjc
13-Jan-06, 21:03
…we had to touch it(or spit on it?)every time we passed it…
So half of you spat on it and the rest of you stuck your hands on it… :eek:

I think I’d rather follow the first tradition than the second ;)

golach
13-Jan-06, 21:06
Canna say I have heard that one Gleber, maybe the ever knowlegable Gleeber will be able to tell us

gleeber
13-Jan-06, 21:27
The only stone I remember was the one at the bottom of the manse Brae. It wisna in the wall but sunk in the ground. I always jumped on it when |i was passing. When they built the old folks home the contracters lowered the wall and also removed the stone in the ground. However I recall my younger cousin complaining about them removing the lucky stone from the wall at the same time so I suspect it was a later tradition started by younger whippersnappers who inhabited the Gaza efter yersels.

Gleber2
13-Jan-06, 23:16
The one I was referring to was the round whitish stone that was at head level in the wall just before the field started.I was told that it had been moved to somewhere near the nursing home.This is the only stone that I know of. Gleeber,perhaps your stone was the one in question. Whether we touched it or spat on it I can't remember but worse things have been done with stones all over the country. After all,we were all primitives in those days,pre-Atomic,but we learned.