PDA

View Full Version : Wots all the hallabaloo

fingalmacool
09-Oct-08, 18:12
Just a normal day, then all hell breaks loose, the place in question, the big shed up near the golf course.
Four fire engines,four ambulances and two ploice cars and to top it all an air ambulance, I thought the place had a big crane, and a couple of conference rooms, so whats happened, well could it be that there is far more dagerous substances kept within that blot on the landscape than we are led to believe. So answers on a postcard and send it to your MP.

SODIUM PROBABLY, SO IF IT IS WHY IS IT THERE AND HOW MUCH IS STORED THERE,once again answers on a postcard to yout MP:confused

Fluff
09-Oct-08, 18:13
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7661592.stm

Rheghead
09-Oct-08, 18:28
I understood that this building is a temporary building but I've heard that it is going to be leased out and used for different purposes after the nuclear work there has been finished. A bit more permanent than we thought, that's unless it burns down first!

Lavenderblue2
09-Oct-08, 19:00
In the news report it says that people in nearby houses are being kept informed - well I live within spitting distance (well nearly) of the said building and I was watching the goings on from an upper window but nobody informed us of anything...

Yes, SODIUM, it seems that ugly monstrosity isn't as innocent as we are led to believe.

Tristan
09-Oct-08, 21:10
Considering the building is part of the decommissioning project they would be testing how to proceed with areas of the clean up. Since the coolant of choice was sodium, it does stand to reason that there would be sodium there. I would imagine during the decommissioning most of the coolant is diluted with sea water and passed back out to sea.

Rheghead
09-Oct-08, 22:03
I was on the understanding that the research and the actual disposal of the radioactive sodium coolant had been completed several months ago, so why they keeping hold of it?

webmannie
09-Oct-08, 22:52
Go look at their website case studies etc, nothing secretive about the facility and tells you all that they are doing there,

http://www.t3uk.co.uk

Fran
10-Oct-08, 00:10
In the news report it says that people in nearby houses are being kept informed - well I live within spitting distance (well nearly) of the said building and I was watching the goings on from an upper window but nobody informed us of anything...

Yes, SODIUM, it seems that ugly monstrosity isn't as innocent as we are led to believe.

I heard on the news that some houses were evacuated and others were told to keep their windows shut because of the dangerous chmicals in the air.

Metalattakk
10-Oct-08, 02:24
I was on the understanding that the research and the actual disposal of the radioactive sodium coolant had been completed several months ago, so why they keeping hold of it?

Even the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7661592.stm) states that this is non-radioactive sodium. I see the knees are a-jerking yet again. :(

Slevers. Handkerchief. Wipe.

changilass
10-Oct-08, 03:08
To be fair Metal, yours was only the 9th post, so not enough knees jerking to make it newsworthy, all in all a very restrained reaction.

Metalattakk
10-Oct-08, 04:08
I have to disagree slightly, changilass.

We have Fran stating that people were told to "keep their windows shut because of the chemicals in the air".

Surely a statement along the lines of "keep their windows shut in case of the possibility of there being chemicals in the air" would have been closer to the truth? The instruction was issued as a precaution, nothing more, nothing less. There's no need at all to add arms and legs - to knee-jerk if you will - to a situation that was never likely to becoming even close to a major incident.

Then we have Rheggy throwing the dreaded (and much used by the tabloid media for their own ends) word "radioactive" into the mix, and we all know what the reaction of the knee-jerkers will be.

Just wait 'til Iain Grant gets his wannabe-tabloid-hack claws into the story in the Groat in the morning. :roll:

Rheghead
10-Oct-08, 08:17
Even the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7661592.stm) states that this is non-radioactive sodium. I see the knees are a-jerking yet again. :(

Slevers. Handkerchief. Wipe.

I never said it was radioactive. But the report says that the sodium was removed from Dounreay?? Either it is the old sodium coolant then it will be radioactive as trace neutron activated elements will be present in the sodium or it is sodium that is used to investigate the disposal of the coolant.

As I understand things, the facility at Janetstown was set up to do research into the disposal of radioactive sodium at Dounreay but I thought lt had been dealt with by now.

Dynamic Sounds
10-Oct-08, 08:38
The building concerned isn't the big building called T3, it is a smaller building beside what I believe used to be the council store for lawn mowers.

Info about the building and things they are doing can be found at http://dounreay.com/news/2008-05-29/destruction-of-sodium-vessels-almost-complete

rs 2k
10-Oct-08, 15:32
That is true Dynamic sound

It was the small building and not the big one

It is Alstec that r using that building and have done for over 5 years

Rheghead
10-Oct-08, 16:32
This was taken from T3UK website.

There is a requirement to dispose of 76 Tonnes of primary and secondary sodium from the KNK II Reactor in Karlsruhe, Germany using the PFR Sodium Disposal Plant.

From what I understand from that, not content with just dealing with our own waste, Dounreay is now importing hazardous nuke waste from other countries to Caithness?:confused

The upshot of that is that there is now no upper limit to the amount of waste that Dounreay needs to dump in their waste disposal facility near Buldoo.

Colin Manson
10-Oct-08, 16:54
Rheghead,

Your understanding in this thread is flawed, if you care to read the facts then have a look at http://www.dounreay.com

Cheers
Colin

Rheghead
10-Oct-08, 17:24
Rheghead,

Your understanding in this thread is flawed, if you care to read the facts then have a look at http://www.dounreay.com

Cheers
Colin

Which part? Sodium is radioactive when it goes through a reactor? Dounreay is processing foreign nuclear waste? Or constantly importing foreign nuclear waste means that a final estimate for the contents of the low active waste facility can't be determined?

Fran
11-Oct-08, 16:10
[quote=Metalattakk;444019]I have to disagree slightly, changilass.

We have Fran stating that people were told to "keep their windows shut because of the chemicals in the air".

Surely a statement along the lines of "keep their windows shut in case of the possibility of there being chemicals in the air" would have been closer to the .

That is exactly what i heard on MFR at the time, not "in case of the possibility of.......". I'm sure in cases like this the public are always told to keep their windows shut etc for the sake of those with asthma and other breathing conditions etc.

Metalattakk
11-Oct-08, 17:22
That is exactly what i heard on MFR at the time

So the media are just as irresponsible then. Fair enough.

Rheghead
11-Oct-08, 17:48
If there was smoke coming from the building involving sodium igniting then isn't that a sure sign of chemicals in the air and not in case of...?

Metalattakk
11-Oct-08, 21:37
And what's wrong with chemicals in the air? Air itself is made up of harmful chemicals.

The question is of the level of danger, and the unnecessary spread of fear and panic.