PDA

View Full Version : Mother of house fire victims arrested

Julia
08-Oct-08, 15:43
The mother of the young brothers who died in a house fire last week has been arrested and charged with manslaughter and child neglect, apparently she went for help and the door slammed shut and locked behind her, she's not seriously being blamed for this tragedy is she?

The full story can be read here (http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1068751/Pictured-The-young-brothers-killed-house-blaze-mother-locked-ran-help.html)

Venture
08-Oct-08, 15:50
It does seem to be the case, reported here by the BBC.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7659538.stm

mccaugm
08-Oct-08, 16:46
The woman is currently serving a life sentence....sentenced to never see her children again. How can it be neglectful to run for help if your house is on fire? The woman needs counselling not arresting.[evil]

Tristan
08-Oct-08, 16:53
My sympathies are with her but why did she not get them out herself as she ran past them to the front door or dial 999? I know we all panic in a crises but there is something not right about her actions.

cuddlepop
08-Oct-08, 17:17
Never underestimate what shock can do to your sense of reasoning.This poor woman probably panicked and has to live with her actions for the rest of her life.As to her being charged,well that wouldnt happen unless they had resonable grounds for their suspisions.

There's alot more to this story than is being reported.:confused

balto
08-Oct-08, 17:23
surely justice will be done here, no court in this land should even consider that this poor woman is guilty of this terriable crime, she no doubt wishes she had never left the house that night, she will blame herself forever and that i can imagine is a life sentance in itself.

hotrod4
08-Oct-08, 18:23
They can Punish this poor woman who did what most people would have- Panicked.
But yet the Macanns dont even get a slap on the wrist for going on the peeve and leaving Madeliene alone.
Justice whats that ?, but I forgot this woman wasnt a doctor or camera savvy.
If she gets prosecuted then the legal system can hang their heads in shame.

JoeSoap
08-Oct-08, 18:41
Interesting how we immediately assume that this is a travesty of justice; that the police are in the wrong here.

Based on what? That a reporter says that a neighbour (who was laying tiles at the time so didn't see this first-hand) said that the door locked behind her when she ran from the house for help?

Not knowing what the police have found during their investigation, what the history of this is or what actually happened on Saturday afternoon (as opposed to what the Mail on Sunday has decided is the most newsworthy) I think I'll keep my condemnation of the police or my lambasting of the mother in check for now...

JimH
08-Oct-08, 22:11
Interesting how we immediately assume that this is a travesty of justice; that the police are in the wrong here.

Based on what? That a reporter says that a neighbour (who was laying tiles at the time so didn't see this first-hand) said that the door locked behind her when she ran from the house for help?

Not knowing what the police have found during their investigation, what the history of this is or what actually happened on Saturday afternoon (as opposed to what the Mail on Sunday has decided is the most newsworthy) I think I'll keep my condemnation of the police or my lambasting of the mother in check for now...

And so say all that have the good sense to await the outcome of the investigation.

purplelady
08-Oct-08, 22:40
They can Punish this poor woman who did what most people would have- Panicked.
But yet the Macanns dont even get a slap on the wrist for going on the peeve and leaving Madeliene alone.
Justice whats that ?, but I forgot this woman wasnt a doctor or camera savvy.
If she gets prosecuted then the legal system can hang their heads in shame.
i totally agree with hotrod and i feel for this poor woman if anyone is fuilty of neglect it is the maccans sorry may get shouted down for is but is just the way i feel

changilass
08-Oct-08, 22:54
I really don't know why any other family has been brought into this. Each case should be dealt with seperately and not on the basis of what happened to someone else.

We don't know the facts behind this story, but I do wonder what has happened to make the police hold this woman.

The facts will out eventually and it will be seen as wether it was the right thing to do or not.

hotrod4
09-Oct-08, 07:02
I really don't know why any other family has been brought into this. Each case should be dealt with seperately and not on the basis of what happened to someone else.

We don't know the facts behind this story, but I do wonder what has happened to make the police hold this woman.

The facts will out eventually and it will be seen as wether it was the right thing to do or not.

I used the Macanns as an example of the injustice of our legal system.
I appreciate that each case should be dealt on its own merits and hope that it is.

I have based my opinion on what I have read so far, especially the fact that on Sunday the Ch Insp stated that he felt there was "No suspicous circumstances" but now she's arrested?

All eye-witness accounts so far indicate that she is innocent and I pray she is, if she has somehow had something to do with it etc then I will openly hold up my hands and admit I was wrong!

Bad Manners
09-Oct-08, 08:56
I am with Joe soap on this one I think we should wait untill the police provide their evidence for charging this woman they may be right or they may be wrong that is up to a court to decide i do believe that the police would not have charged her without in their opinion good reason.
To take sides without knowing the facts is silly you can only judge when you are presented with all the facts anything else is just speculation