PDA

View Full Version : bank charges

catran
07-Oct-08, 21:32
I am somewhat confused as to the Bank being unable to make charges against benefits. I am working and have always worked so I do not understand this situation. In other words if one gets their benefits paid into the bank they are at liberty to incur overdrafts with no charges?Is this fACTUAL OR FICTION? i Hve incurred bank charges through going overdrawn whilst on holiday many years ago so maybe I am stupid but why do benefits be excluded from incurring charges? Please enlighten this working peron as to what is what?:confused

Sapphire2803
07-Oct-08, 21:47
Only certain benefits are covered by this act of parliament.
The reason for it is that on some benefits, the amount of money you get is the minimum amount the government says you need to live on. Therefore you do not have enough to pay charges etc. The bank can still charge you btw, but not take it out automatically. If they so wish, they can send you a bill for your charges and you would then agree a payment plan.

catran
07-Oct-08, 22:15
Thanks for that. I honestly do not know the ins and outs of the banking system. By all accounts on the news tonight it will have to go back to good old grannie days....the money under the bed or wherever..........scary.[lol]