PDA

View Full Version : Banks part-nationalised!

percy toboggan
07-Oct-08, 20:28
Who'd have thought it.
I was all for this c.1974 when I was a communist.
I grew up. Michael Foot would have been delighted.
Who knows what the ramifications are.
As a recent investor I'm possibly up the creek without a paddle.
These tumultuous events are unprecedented in any of our lifetimes surely?

Blimey! What a carry on...my gast is flabbered and I can''t summon up any more....
does anyone know what is going on , and why?

Melancholy Man
07-Oct-08, 20:43
I don't. And you can guarantee that nor does Alex Salmond.

tonkatojo
07-Oct-08, 21:00
Me thinks you should ask the ''saviour'' SALMOND, he blew his bugle and his cavalry the rich palls of his headed for the hills they didnt want to know about HBOS,hence his cosying up to Lloyds TSB to beg for jobs to be saved and his RED FACE..... watch out for the next saga as the Royal bank doesnt look to clever now.

Melancholy Man
07-Oct-08, 21:05
The only man who judgement became unstuck more quickly was McCain proclaiming his role in finding a fix... right before it was voted down.

TBH
07-Oct-08, 21:16
Such unwarrranted hatred for one man can't be healthy.

percy toboggan
07-Oct-08, 21:19
If this doesn't calm the markets then heaven knows what will. I know little of all this but we seem to be witnessing a total failure of western economics - is capitalism bust? I hope not. It's not perfect but the alternatives have failed the common man.

Mind you, you can't get more common than me and I'm not smelling of roses at the minute! More like the muck that makes 'em grow.

Melancholy Man
07-Oct-08, 21:20
Wishing to hang him upside down, as we whack him with shinty sticks like a haggis-filled piñata... that would be hate. This is simply pity, derision and humour.

TBH
07-Oct-08, 21:25
Wishing to hang him upside down, as we whack him with shinty sticks like a haggis-filled piñata... that would be hate. This is simply pity, derision and humour.
I reckon you would indeed like to hang him up like a piniatta and beat him with a shinty stick but the question is why?
Have s.n.p policies affected your quality of life so much that you take every opportunity you can to show your 'derision'?:D

Melancholy Man
07-Oct-08, 21:34
Specific devolution/independence SNP policies, to date, don't have the substance to affect anyone's life, for good or bad. Certain directions and personalities do, not least the hob-nobbing with Muslim Brotherhood or Iranian politicans. The general sense of grievance, acquisitiveness, adversarial nationalism and entitlement do as well. Salmond's grand-standing, and spectacularly ill-judged snarling ripostes to the ecomonic woes of late also add to an impression of Holyrood being run by absolute numpties.

tonkatojo
07-Oct-08, 21:41
Well said MELANCHOLY MAN you sure have a way with words.

teenybash
07-Oct-08, 21:52
Melancholy Man Lay of Mr Salmond...at least he is trying to salvage something from the wreck of HBOS, unlike Brown and Darling who are trembling on the brink of nothingness and letting the lot slip down the slippery slope......

Tristan
07-Oct-08, 22:00
I remember years ago hearing that you can't buy yourself out of a recession. I believe that holds true today as it did in the past. The government should create an environment for business to grow and prosper with appropriate checks to make sure the populace are provided for. For example lower interest rates and put checks in place to ensure the banks lower theirs etc.
I have seen how the government runs the country and I believe the can do much worse than the banks.

TBH
07-Oct-08, 22:03
Specific devolution/independence SNP policies, to date, don't have the substance to affect anyone's life, for good or bad. Certain directions and personalities do, not least the hob-nobbing with Muslim Brotherhood or Iranian politicans. The general sense of grievance, acquisitiveness, adversarial nationalism and entitlement do as well. Salmond's grand-standing, and spectacularly ill-judged snarling ripostes to the ecomonic woes of late also add to an impression of Holyrood being run by absolute numpties.There are a lot of snp policies that will affect your life, to deny that would be silly, but, after an lineffectual Labour government, the snp can continue to have no effect on my life for as long as they want.
I agree, he shouldn't be consorting with muslims, bad man, he should be taken and given a right good spanking for that.

Well said MELANCHOLY MAN you sure have a way with words.Yeah, the boy's good, but, he could be better.

golach
07-Oct-08, 22:05
Melancholy Man Lay of Mr Salmond...at least he is trying to salvage something from the wreck of HBOS, unlike Brown and Darling who are trembling on the brink of nothingness and letting the lot slip down the slippery slope......
It seem funny that Mr Salmond who was a professional bank employee with the RBoS for many years, did not notice this coming. Or do I smell a rat?[lol]

TBH
07-Oct-08, 22:06
Melancholy Man Lay of Mr Salmond...at least he is trying to salvage something from the wreck of HBOS, unlike Brown and Darling who are trembling on the brink of nothingness and letting the lot slip down the slippery slope......Like Brown or Darling give a damn about the livelihood of bank staff working in Scotland .

Tristan
07-Oct-08, 22:10
It seem funny that Mr Salmond who was a professional bank employee with the RBoS for many years, did not notice this coming. Or do I smell a rat?[lol]
I think it is even more frightening that Treasury Secretary Paulson had even less of a clue and was saying how great things were only a very short time ago.

Melancholy Man
07-Oct-08, 22:12
TBH, both their constituencies are in Scotland.

the snp can continue to have no effect on my life for as long as they want.

Would that it were. Would that they would show the next Khomenist the door, and deselect Osama Saeed.

Yes, no doubt he has his magic wand and box of fairy dust behind his back. Salmond could spit on a cupcake and have people call it icing.

TBH
07-Oct-08, 22:12
And that means they give a damn does it MM?

Melancholy Man
07-Oct-08, 22:26
It means you should offer a jolly sight more evidence for aspersions flung around like sweeties such as that Unionist politicos are Harkis (which is the next in that thousand step journey the Salmondistas are taking).

Salmond's in up to his neck with the credit boon and finance party which has caused all this, not least with those "spivs and speculators" he appointed as his own advisers. Just as with most national political big-cheese. Which bank was it which was level-headed to the point of being branded boring? Not HBoS (which he has difficulty even associating with a town in England). Lloyds-TSB.

He's a loud-mouth and mediocre politico who, until now, has benefitted only by being the tallest man in Lilliput, and is now finding his playground taunts and cries to teacher ain't going to work no work. He's like a bairn who's eaten too much cake, and is crying because his stomach hurts. Instead of introspection and self-analysis, which any mature and responsible politico would do, he takes the line that Scotland-based banks deserve special get-out clauses simply for being Scottish and... blames the English.

purplelady
07-Oct-08, 22:45
CALL ME THICK BUT AM BEGINNING TO GET A BIT WORRIED BOUT MY SAVINGS AS I DO NOT REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING DO I GO TAKE IT OUT AND PUT IT UNDER THE MATTRESS LOL[evil]

Tristan
07-Oct-08, 22:51
CALL ME THICK BUT AM BEGINNING TO GET A BIT WORRIED BOUT MY SAVINGS AS I DO NOT REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING DO I GO TAKE IT OUT AND PUT IT UNDER THE MATTRESS LOL[evil]

Unless you have more than £35,000 in savings you should be fine.

Melancholy Man
07-Oct-08, 23:01
It's £50,000 now, Tristan (and that's only if the bank did go belly-up). Worth noting, though, that it's per banking licence. That is, £40,000 in the Lloyds-TSB and Bradford and Bingley both, you're fine. Forty thousand in HBoS and Lloyds-TSB both, eeek!

TBH
08-Oct-08, 00:19
It means you should offer a jolly sight more evidence for aspersions flung around like sweeties such as that Unionist politicos are Harkis (which is the next in that thousand step journey the Salmondistas are taking).

Salmond's in up to his neck with the credit boon and finance party which has caused all this, not least with those "spivs and speculators" he appointed as his own advisers. Just as with most national political big-cheese. Which bank was it which was level-headed to the point of being branded boring? Not HBoS (which he has difficulty even associating with a town in England). Lloyds-TSB.

He's a loud-mouth and mediocre politico who, until now, has benefitted only by being the tallest man in Lilliput, and is now finding his playground taunts and cries to teacher ain't going to work no work. He's like a bairn who's eaten too much cake, and is crying because his stomach hurts. Instead of introspection and self-analysis, which any mature and responsible politico would do, he takes the line that Scotland-based banks deserve special get-out clauses simply for being Scottish and... blames the English.Is Salmond now to blame for the "credit crunch" and how can you type so much without getting your point across sensibly?:eek:

Melancholy Man
08-Oct-08, 01:20
Is Salmond now to blame for the "credit crunch"

Not as much as letting the Muslim Brotherhood and other jacobite jihadis into Scottish politics.

He has had no qualms hitching his (or, in his mind, Scotland's) wagon to the credit boon, and is now extricating himself faster than Harry Flashman, albeit without the devilish good-looks and sense of self-awareness. How long d'you think it would take to find quotes from him along the line of Brown's having welcomed Lehman Brothers to the City four years ago? A lot less than it would to take to find any quotes which expressed the slightest concern about the rising bubble.

Here's (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/This-Week/Speeches/First-Minister/financial-services) one:

This is the first time that the potential of Scotland's financial services sector has been in such close focus - both at home and internationally. {...} The desire and the ambition to build a Celtic Lion economy - a powerhouse within Europe and a champion in the knowledge-driven industries of the future. Financial services, the life sciences, the creative industries and renewable energy. {...} So today I want to explain to you why this Government is profoundly positive about the future for Scotland's financial services industry - and how can we can extend what is already a global success story.Celtic Lion? This was made on 29 May 2008. What d'you think powered this "financial services industry"? Hmmm? Name's coming to me...

Looking at the global perspective, we hope - but cannot yet be sure - that the worst is over. I have seen estimates that around two-thirds of banks' losses have already been declared. But still for now, in the words of St Paul, "we see through a glass darkly".Hilarious buffoon.

Many of you will know that before entering politics I worked for several years as an economist for one of Scotland's leading banks. And having worked in the Scotland's financial services sector - and seen its remarkable development in the intervening years - I have come to regard this industry as a prime exponent of this country's tremendous economic potential.That ain't icing on my cupcake!

Melancholy Man
08-Oct-08, 12:06
When I said that the Icelandic model was one to be emulated, I meant...

And I'm the Queen of Sheba.

teenybash
08-Oct-08, 12:23
And I'm the Queen of Sheba.

MMmmmm we have Royalty in our midst....I am humbled.;)

tonkatojo
08-Oct-08, 13:09
Perhaps the ''saviour'' Salmond along with his Icelandic model were TAPPING up ''the muslim brotherhood along with the jacobite jihadis'' for one of those sharria law loans, the ones with no interest...(excuse my spelling).

percy toboggan
08-Oct-08, 19:37

I'll not call you thick, but instead re-assure you that no depositer has lost a penny yet. Investors are different. Relax..your savings are safe if they are on deposit...unless you have more than fifty grand , in which case...hello...my names Percy. purples my favourite colour ;)

Tristan
08-Oct-08, 20:37
I'll not call you thick, but instead re-assure you that no depositer has lost a penny yet. Investors are different. Relax..your savings are safe if they are on deposit...unless you have more than fifty grand , in which case...hello...my names Percy. purples my favourite colour ;)

What about Mrs Percy?eek::lol:

oldmarine
09-Oct-08, 05:21
Shades of 1929 when our economy went totally bust and started the great depression. Sure hope I won't have to live that again.

teenybash
09-Oct-08, 14:32
Shades of 1929 when our economy went totally bust and started the great depression. Sure hope I won't have to live that again.

They say life goes round in circles...................maybe all our tomorrows have been spent by the government borrowing on top of borrowing, as well as selling off the family silver. Could be Old mother Hubbard finding her cupboard empty...again.:~(

rich
09-Oct-08, 15:12
There are lots of banks around and losing value by the hour. Banks make excellent residences. Especially American ones with Corinthian pillars and large verandahs (think Florida here) and some nice gilt touches, some delicate filigree metalwork around the cashiers booths and - in the event of an outbreak of nuclear hostilities - you have the perfect fall out shelter: the bank vault!
Thurso has useless banks. The Royal Bank might be convertable into a health spa with attached Turkish baths but I cant see it really taking off. Wick generally has more dramatic architecture than Thurso so perhaps there are possibilities there....Myself, I would like to see a really good jazz club opening up in an abandoned bank and as jazz musicians never have money it would be appropriate.
Doing some research on the Great Depression I found out that on Black Monday only two Wall Street bankers did the decent thing and jumped. That is an advance on Caithness banks. You couldn't really make much of a statement by leaping two floors onto Trail Street or wherever.....

percy toboggan
09-Oct-08, 17:43
What about Mrs Percy?eek::lol:

You are right of course Tristan...a moment of madness in a time of economic turmoil :lol: