PDA

View Full Version : Council { wheelie bins }

cuthill
07-Oct-08, 15:40
A neighbour is in the process of building a house and went into the council offices to register for council tax and get a wheelie bin delivered and was told the bin would cost £35,has anyone else been charged this.I would have thought if you are paying your council tax the bin would have been free

marlyn
07-Oct-08, 15:48
yep, this is the normal charge for purchasing a wheelie bin.

Felt really tight when we sold our last house and told the new buyers that we were taking our wheelie bin with us!

ANNIE
07-Oct-08, 15:58
Yeh we were charged £35 too so wish I had taken my old one with me

stekar
07-Oct-08, 16:01
Our previous house was a new build, and the council in that area charged us too to get a wheelie bin. If we'd have known we would have taken our old one with us!

stewart4364
07-Oct-08, 16:22
Years ago when wheelie bins were first introduced they were supplied free of charge. A charge for wheelie bins was introduced several years ago -- I do not know if it has always been £35.

skinnydog
07-Oct-08, 16:31
You would think that they could throw one measly wheely bin in for free as the council tax is extortionate.

I have no street lights where I live and because I am out of town don't get kerbside recyling but still have to pay full whack for council tax.

I never thought of taking my old bin with me when we moved either. Wish I had but it is a bit tight isn't it?

mccaugm
07-Oct-08, 16:38
Did a quick interenet search and came up with the following prices for standard size domestic bins. Prices came in at

£60.99
£47.50
£69.99

£19.95. (These were mistamped Local authority bins so selling them cheaper for that reason)

So bar the last one...council are not really overcharging...first time for everything! ;)

LMS
07-Oct-08, 16:42
Highland Council has been charging for wheelie bins since April 2000. I know this because I phoned for one on Monday 3rd April 2000 to be told that I would have to pay and had I phoned on the previous Friday, I would have received one free of charge! :(

muffin
07-Oct-08, 17:59
We didn't think the charge was too bad, the wheelie bins here are easily twice the size of our previous ones but I am disappointed there are no recycling boxes so you have to drive to a recycling centre, OK if you have a car and can combime the trip with another mission to save petrol

YummyMummy
07-Oct-08, 17:59
Don't get me started!

I bought a renovated property and was told I'd need to fork out for the priviledge of having a wheelie bin. Advised the council that I'd go elsewhere thank you very much...only to have to sheepishly get back to them later on that day, as they were the cheapest :confused

Council Tax doesn't go far these days it would seem!

sjr014
07-Oct-08, 18:04
I recently moved in2 a Council rented property and there was no wheelie bin or recycling box, i just phoned the service point and had both delivered free of charge? Not sure if that was due to the fact it is a council rented property?

silverfox57
07-Oct-08, 19:12
if you buy extra wheelie bin will council up left two bins as we only have one , and we dont live in town,

Alice in Blunderland
07-Oct-08, 21:09
We moved into our new property six months ago and also had to pay for our new wheelie bin. I would have nicked Weeboyagees from his house :eek: but i think that would have been a little bit cheeky of me.

We have a big family so when the council enforced the no bin bags policy we thought to be safe we best get another bin.

More than six in the family and you get one from the council no problem............for free........ we didnt have to pay for the extra bin.

I was told that in the year that the bins were introduced and given out to each household everyone thought they were getting them for free but they werent really .....the council tax was thirty five pounds higher than it should have been .............only a story but a believable one.... :roll: not that Im one to spread a nasty rumour :lol:

Oh and I believe solicitors now put it in the sale agreement to make you leave your bin when leaving the property its all part of the sale now so no taking it away with you when you move out.

floyed
07-Oct-08, 21:14
if you buy extra wheelie bin will council up left two bins as we only have one , and we dont live in town,

I have 2 bins and they lift both of them:D

2little2late
07-Oct-08, 21:52
I moved in to a brand new housing association property two years ago and we got two wheelie bins f.o.c. one for household waste, other for garden waste.

farmer
07-Oct-08, 22:25
On the subject of bins, I came home tonight to find a postcard through my door telling me that we're finally getting kerbside recycling!! I know the towns and some villages have had it for ages, but us poor souls out in the sticks have had to fend for ourselves up until now. I've been moaning about that one for ages, so delighted we're getting somewhere at last.
A second wheelie bin is being delivered in November, and uplifts start as of December. They take paper, metal cans, cardboard and plastic bottles, so that'll save the dreaded trip into Wick every few weeks!!
Not sure if thats the same for all rural areas in caithness, but it did say to check the highland council website for further details. Hopefully that'll help the rubbish situation round here anyway!

stekar
08-Oct-08, 15:04
Yep, we're getting kerbside recycling too! Really pleased as it will save a trip to the recycling point. Glad it includes plastic bottles, as they have been going in the bin as we don't go to the council depots.

Buttercup
08-Oct-08, 17:09
On the subject of bins, I came home tonight to find a postcard through my door telling me that we're finally getting kerbside recycling!! I know the towns and some villages have had it for ages, but us poor souls out in the sticks have had to fend for ourselves up until now. I've been moaning about that one for ages, so delighted we're getting somewhere at last.
A second wheelie bin is being delivered in November, and uplifts start as of December. They take paper, metal cans, cardboard and plastic bottles, so that'll save the dreaded trip into Wick every few weeks!!
Not sure if thats the same for all rural areas in caithness, but it did say to check the highland council website for further details. Hopefully that'll help the rubbish situation round here anyway!

Didn't know they were now uplifting plastic bottles. what bin go they go in? I've looked on the council web site but it doesn't mention them. :confused

hotrod4
08-Oct-08, 17:12
I can supply bins to order. Only £20
They may have other peoples numbers painted on them but they do the job!!!! ;)

P.s I can only deliver at night after Midnight and expect "cash in advance".

Apply to arthurdaley@nickyourbin.com

silverfox57
08-Oct-08, 19:57
I can supply bins to order. Only £20
They may have other peoples numbers painted on them but they do the job!!!! ;)

P.s I can only deliver at night after Midnight and expect "cash in advance".

Apply to arthurdaley@nickyourbin.com
please leave two a door will pm you with all my bank details, just take £40 out of a/c and dont transfer rest to your bunk:lol: warning never gave anyone you bank details to anyone,just that hotrod bunk is as good as any high st bank just now:confused

bonami
08-Oct-08, 20:38
I always thought they were free to council tenants and private owners had to pay.

stekar
09-Oct-08, 14:04
Didn't know they were now uplifting plastic bottles. what bin go they go in? I've looked on the council web site but it doesn't mention them. :confused

It all goes in the new bin which they are supplying.........which seems a bit strange to me, not sure if it's got seperate compartments, can't see it somehow. Got to flaten the cardboard and plastic bottles.

Shabbychic
09-Oct-08, 15:45
I also received the leaflet about the new kerbside recycling. I had almost given up hope of recycling ever reaching my area.

Now call me stupid, but, how do you flatten a plastic bottle??

Buttercup
09-Oct-08, 16:16
I also received the leaflet about the new kerbside recycling. I had almost given up hope of recycling ever reaching my area.

Now call me stupid, but, how do you flatten a plastic bottle??

Squeeze all the air out (and keep it squeezed till you put the lid back on).

Shabbychic
09-Oct-08, 16:39
Thanks Buttercup. I'll give that a try.

As my old granny used to say, "You learn something every day.":):)

hotrod4
09-Oct-08, 17:27
please leave two a door will pm you with all my bank details, just take £40 out of a/c and dont transfer rest to your bunk:lol: warning never gave anyone you bank details to anyone,just that hotrod bunk is as good as any high st bank just now:confused

I only took the £40 if there is anything else missing it wasnt me, the big boys did it and ran away ;)

Alice in Blunderland
09-Oct-08, 18:00
Can any of you fellow orgers help me.

I seem to have lost both my wheelie bins from outside my house

They were there last night untl after twelve but have now vanished.

There was a little noise outside my house late on but we thought it was just the wind getting up :confused

There are unfortunately no distinctive markings on them or numbers but you cant miss them they are large and green. :eek:

Reward for their safe return is ...........FORTY Pounds.

If anyone should be offered a cheap wheelie bin please think of me and let me know asap who is selling them so that I can send my brother round to get them.:lol:

hotrod4
09-Oct-08, 18:35
Can any of you fellow orgers help me.

I seem to have lost both my wheelie bins from outside my house

They were there last night untl after twelve but have now vanished.

There was a little noise outside my house late on but we thought it was just the wind getting up :confused

There are unfortunately no distinctive markings on them or numbers but you cant miss them they are large and green. :eek:

Reward for their safe return is ...........FORTY Pounds.

If anyone should be offered a cheap wheelie bin please think of me and let me know asap who is selling them so that I can send my brother round to get them.:

That is shocking absolutely shocking,you cant trust anyone these days. ;)

But seeing as you are offering a reward I think I may be in a position to "acquire" them back for you.
if you can just confirm your bank account number.....................................

Alice in Blunderland
09-Oct-08, 18:46
That is shocking absolutely shocking,you cant trust anyone these days. ;)

But seeing as you are offering a reward I think I may be in a position to "acquire" them back for you.
if you can just confirm your bank account number.....................................

Which bank account number do you need ?

I am so grateful to you for your help in this matter as its only a few months since I bought them from the council. :cool:

Your kindness is overwhelming I will be forever in 'your debt'.[lol]

silverfox57
09-Oct-08, 18:57
hi two wheelie bin for sale,seem new Will sell for£39 plus vat, if you could pm me with your bunk details can deliver before day light.only if computer says YES.

Alice in Blunderland
09-Oct-08, 20:38
hi two wheelie bin for sale,seem new Will sell for£39 plus vat, if you could pm me with your bunk details can deliver before day light.only if computer says YES.

Gie me back ma bins :lol: [lol]

Second thoughts where do you live Ill nick them back later

hotrod4
10-Oct-08, 10:03
I still await your bank account details.........................

My name is george and I am from your bunk, if you pass your bunk you can wave to me as I will be there!

P.s May be away for a while when you pass but dont let that put you off, I may be helping some old ladies cross the road ;)

silverfox57
10-Oct-08, 11:37
Gie me back ma bins :lol: [lol]

Second thoughts where do you live Ill nick them back later
sorry but computer says NO:eek: live west of three red lights in sky