PDA

View Full Version : Robert Louis Stevenson's visit to Caithness

Saveman
07-Oct-08, 14:06
I found this a fascinating account, I had heard some of his quotes about Wick before, but to read the account in full is very interesting.

http://www.fullbooks.com/Across-The-Plains2.html

Do a text search for Wick

golach
07-Oct-08, 15:10
Interesting reading Savey, I too had only picked out the so called negative remarks the R L made about Wick, but of reading the full article, I have come to the opinion, he never intended to be negative, I loved his account of diving with Bob Bain, his amazement in the "Babel of Tongues" to me was very amusing, I wonder what R L's reaction would be if he were alive today, and walked down Leith Walk in his auld Edinburgh, and heard the miriad of tongues that can be heard there today.

Melancholy Man
07-Oct-08, 19:22
He was certainly a morose git, but no more than with his descriptions of other landscapes. His personal dissatisfaction at his time in Wick came mostly from, I thought, disputes with his father forcing him into the engineering business (although one of his moments of real delight came when he mucked around in the breakwater with local labourers, and then nearly caught pneumonia).

As for Leith Walk, I doubt it'd be much different. What with it being by a major port with sailors from across the globe!

golach
07-Oct-08, 19:26
As for Leith Walk, I doubt it'd be much different. What with it being by a major port with sailors from across the globe!
Leith!!!! A major port!!! Since when??? Maybe in the days of R L sadly no more:~(