PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Oliver

Kevin Milkins
07-Oct-08, 08:37
It seems Jamie Oliver has taken over the world at the moment.
Whatever programme I have been watching or even listening to on the radio he is on there , banging on about teaching our friends to cook.
I admire his energy but not sure how sincere he is about why he does what he does.:confused
I know he is premoting a new programme at the moment but is anyone else fed up of hearing about it?

mccaugm
07-Oct-08, 10:47
I know he is premoting a new programme at the moment but is anyone else fed up of hearing about it?

Frankly no, if the man can teach this current generation to cook and know what fruit and veg actually are maybe there would be less obesity in this country. He quoted a statistic today, it is estimated that by the year 2012 that 75% of the country will be obese. If he can use his fame to try and alleviate that then I say good on him.

He is an ambassador and a facilitator using his fame for positive reasons. Think about what have other stars done thats positive think "Victoria Beckham" et al.

Anji
07-Oct-08, 15:17
I think Jamie is great, but a bit naive to think he can change the whole country's bad habits single handedly. We could do with a lot more high profile people joining him, to stop this country eating and drinking its way to an early death.

Buttercup
07-Oct-08, 15:25
Frankly no, if the man can teach this current generation to cook and know what fruit and veg actually are maybe there would be less obesity in this country. He quoted a statistic today, it is estimated that by the year 2012 that 75% of the country will be obese. If he can use his fame to try and alleviate that then I say good on him.

He is an ambassador and a facilitator using his fame for positive reasons. Think about what have other stars done thats positive think "Victoria Beckham" et al.

In my opinion the only way to get people to cook is to put it back on the school timetables. There is now a whole generation that have grown up without learning the basic cookery skills. I think it should be a compulsory subject like English and Maths. After all surely it is more important to learn how to feed yourself and eat healthy foods than for example, speak another language. And in this day and age of tight budgets it is cheaper to make food at home than buy ready meals and take aways.

mccaugm
07-Oct-08, 16:20
As the old saying goes, Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime. The same goes for knowing how to cook.....
I am in my late thirties :eek:, I was taught the basics at school but my mum was the one who taught me to cook and for that I thank her wholeheartedly. I have to admit that I do use frozen foods a great deal but lately have been cooking more and more from scratch using fresh foods. I then make more than I need so in effect make my own convience foods. Lidl (are we allowed to advertise?) are great for cheap fresh fruit and veg. I do have a penchant for pizza but tend to get a plain cheese and tomato one and add my own toppings.

I agree proper, basic cooking methods should be taught....I am lucky as my son is training to be a chef so I will have an expert in the family in the future.;)

Anne x
07-Oct-08, 16:40

I agree I watched his interview and he said that the wee shop he rented for the programme he had people popping in all the time to learn basic skills on the programme there was 1 child who had nothing but takeaways for its entire life and there is a whole generation that do not cook either get takeaways or Ready made Meals so if Jamie can learn at least a dozen families to cook surely thats a good thing

I also agree with Buttercup I learned most of my baking at Domestic Science in school and cooking from my mother just by watching her

hotrod4
07-Oct-08, 17:04
As a qualified chef I may be a bit biased, but we do live in a nation that is FAT for want of a better word. All kids seem to know how to cook comes out of "ping". They should tax "convenience foods". It is so easy and cheaper to make your own food and at least then you know whats in it! I use MSG which I know alot of people dont like but thats my choice as what I am adding it to is healthy! (my excuse ;))

My kids often ask what I am making and I try to explain it to them, but if it takes longer than 5 mins then their minds wander. They have healthier menus at school but in my view its the wrong foods they are trying. There is more "foreign" foods that kids may never eat again on the menu. Theres carribean,mexican,Indian,Italian but not enough Stew,Roast Chicken,Turkey etc on the menu.More local produce is required with local recipes that we were brought up on years ago.I love Indian food but dont think 5 year olds are into Chicken Korma and Carribean chicken etc like adults!

justine
07-Oct-08, 18:18
[quote=hotrod4;442994]As a qualified chef I may be a bit biased, but we do live in a nation that is FAT for want of a better word.

They should tax "convenience foods".

Then it may stop this which will cause the Tax payer more in the long run.!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7656214.stm

Tristan
07-Oct-08, 21:24
Schools can help but the reality it it comes from the parents. If they cook, the children are more likely to cook.
Children should be exposed to a wide range of foods but good "old fashioned" British cooking should be encouraged (would make the carbon footprint smaller too).

Tristan
07-Oct-08, 21:26
BTW was it us or the manufactures that decided prepackaged frozen cardboard food was suitable to eat? I may be wrong but I think we are one of the worst countries for eating that kind of food.

alanatkie
07-Oct-08, 21:53
Watched Jamie's 1st episode the other night & if he can get some of them to cook that would be great. Some of them had never seen what boiling water looked like.
My kids love helping to cook. They all want cooking books for xmas. They defo don't take it from me i can do the basics but i even burnt their tea tonight but they said it tasted better burnt :lol:

MadPict
07-Oct-08, 22:17
He makes some very valid points and more power to his elbow for trying.

Torvaig
07-Oct-08, 22:55
With the coming recession I don't think obesity is going to be a problem! ;) It will be good for us......:lol:

Anne x
07-Oct-08, 23:04
With the coming recession I don't think obesity is going to be a problem! ;) It will be good for us......:lol:

Sorry Torvaig what do you mean ? in what way will it be good for us and not a problem are we going back to Rations
it still would not help people to eat healthy a black market for crisps and junk maybe
I cannot see how a recession is going to be good for us

Torvaig
07-Oct-08, 23:09
Sorry Torvaig what do you mean ? in what way will it be good for us and not a problem are we going back to Rations
it still would not help people to eat healthy a black market for crisps and junk maybe
I cannot see how a recession is going to be good for us

I think the wink and the smiley says it all Anne; not to be taken seriously....;)

Anne x
07-Oct-08, 23:32
I think the wink and the smiley says it all Anne; not to be taken seriously....;)

Ok Torvaig its late and a little bit slow on uptake lol

Torvaig
07-Oct-08, 23:36
Ok Torvaig its late and a little bit slow on uptake lol
Have a night cap Anne and off to your bed now....:lol:

Anne x
07-Oct-08, 23:38
Have a night cap Anne and off to your bed now....:lol:

Aye right !!! just waiting on a batch of Oatcakes out of the Oven 2 mins then away

Torvaig
07-Oct-08, 23:39
Aye right !!! just waiting on a batch of Oatcakes out of the Oven 2 mins then away

That'll be Jamie Oliver's recipe then! A dram is good with an oatcake.....:) (Just keeping it on thread you know)

Anne x
07-Oct-08, 23:42
That'll be Jamie Oliver's recipe then! A dram is good with an oatcake.....:) (Just keeping it on thread you know)

Certainly not my grannys recipe full of good things !!! hate drams [evil]
but get the drift [lol]

Ricco
08-Oct-08, 19:15
Nope - I think he is brilliant at what he does, and I like the way that he stands by his principles. A working man's chef who tackles good honest British cooking, not some poncey namby-pamby La Chef who does foams and swirls. ;)

Good on 'yer, Jamie. Let's get Britain back to cooking good food! :D

Kevin Milkins
08-Oct-08, 19:31
I think its fair to say I have been shot down in flames again.:confused
I too admire what he does but the reason for starting this post came about of frustration .
It seemed no matter what channel on the telly or radio or time of day I tuned in I was confronted by Jamie telling the same story.
Perhaps I have to much time on my hands.:lol:
Anyway , if I draw my curtains in the morning and he is up a ladder cleaning my windows I will need to have word;)