PDA

View Full Version : How fast is a mile?

rockchick
06-Oct-08, 21:50
Right! recently inspired by the request for a four-minute mile poster and the incredibly beautiful rose (promounced rose-AY) I'm drinking whilst avoiding work...and I am curious as to the fitness of folks in general....the question of this thread is:

How fast can you run a mile?

Now, I've only started running a few months ago...did my first 5k in July this year...and given a short haul and a back wind I can produce an 8 minute mile. But! I have no idea how this compares to other folk, or folk in general. Is this good? Is this laughable?

lazytown
06-Oct-08, 22:02
Right! recently inspired by the request for a four-minute mile poster and the incredibly beautiful rose (promounced rose-AY) I'm drinking whilst avoiding work...and I am curious as to the fitness of folks in general....the question of this thread is:

How fast can you run a mile?

Now, I've only started running a few months ago...did my first 5k in July this year...and given a short haul and a back wind I can produce an 8 minute mile. But! I have no idea how this compares to other folk, or folk in general. Is this good? Is this laughable?

With an 8 min mile, they army wants 1.5 mile in 14 mins 30 sec or less ...so u would qualify for basic training

Julia
06-Oct-08, 22:03
I could probably manage a mile in about 30 - 60 minutes but would need an ambulance on stand-by with oxygen [lol]

rockchick
06-Oct-08, 22:05
With an 8 min mile, they army wants 1.5 mile in 14 mins 30 sec or less ...so u would qualify for basic training
laff...so, if the geologist job goes down the tube...I qualify for being shot at???? I suppose that's a (very thin) silver lining to our current economic climate!

rockchick
06-Oct-08, 22:06
laff...so, if the geologist job goes down the tube...I qualify for being shot at???? I suppose that's a (very thin) silver lining to our current economic climate!

Which, come to think of it, isn't bad for a 40-plus mother of three....

lazytown
06-Oct-08, 22:08

a job...is a job

* ah u posted ur age...ur to old to qualify..but u are fit enough though

trix
06-Oct-08, 22:24
i da ken anythin aboot runnin but i cycled fie wiek til watten, an back! on ma bike in 2 oers a few weeks ago....took me longer comin home as 'e wind wis comin at me beeg time!

i took a photo on ma fone o' 'e watten sign til prove til ma pals that i really did do'ed :lol:
wid show'ed til ye but ats a bit advanced for me :roll:

Bobinovich
06-Oct-08, 22:28
I could probably manage a mile in about 30 - 60 minutes but would need an ambulance on stand-by with oxygen [lol]

LOL with you on that Julia - I'm built for comfort, not for speed :lol:

trix
06-Oct-08, 22:36
LOL with you on that Julia - I'm built for comfort, not for speed :lol:

laffin ma ass off [lol][lol]

on yersel bob...

Melancholy Man
06-Oct-08, 22:41

In November 2001 I was rejected for the TA despite being able to clock a seven minute mile. I'm a chronic asthmatic.

Now, I can manage a three minute mile. On my bicycle.

Anne x
06-Oct-08, 23:08
N/A

not applicable oh how I wish

joxville
06-Oct-08, 23:52
I don't know how long it would take me to run a mile but if it was against my super-fit brother I'd want a two-day head start. [lol]

changilass
06-Oct-08, 23:58
If I had just finished my final meal then I wouldn't manage a yard let alone a mile.

tigger2u
07-Oct-08, 00:00
It all depends on a few factors... wind speed, rain, sun and who's chasing me through the streets of glasgow..then it might be a world record!

Margaret M.
07-Oct-08, 00:38
If there's a real good incentive, I could probably do a 9 minute mile.

sassylass
07-Oct-08, 01:32
I thought I was fast until my son challenged me to a race. He was about 17, played football and bragged that he could run faster backward than I could run forward. Huh, no way! so foolish me, off we went to the track and he left me in the dust.
Haven't yet lived it down :~(

brokencross
07-Oct-08, 10:03
Are you talking about a good old fashioned 1760 yard mile or the new fangled 1500metres which masquerades as the popular middle distance.

golach
07-Oct-08, 10:09
What if it were to be a Scots Mile?

http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow_scots_mile.htm

Tighsonas4
07-Oct-08, 10:19
i da ken anythin aboot runnin but i cycled fie wiek til watten, an back! on ma bike in 2 oers a few weeks ago....took me longer comin home as 'e wind wis comin at me beeg time!

i took a photo on ma fone o' 'e watten sign til prove til ma pals that i really did do'ed :lol:
wid show'ed til ye but ats a bit advanced for me :roll:
wiz it a motor bike e hed lol tony [lol]

Geo
07-Oct-08, 10:33
I couldn't run a 100 yards never mind a mile. :(

balto
07-Oct-08, 11:01
after i have my baby in 8 weeks, i might need to find out this myself, but at the moment i couldnt run to save my life, little person inside is kinda stopping anything like that.

skinnydog
07-Oct-08, 12:55
I did a 10k in early March this year and completed it in 60 minutes exactly. I was very proud of myself!!

Julia
07-Oct-08, 15:19
I could probably run a bit quicker than I said previously if I had an incentive like a big dog chasing me or my bum being on fire!

Gizmo
07-Oct-08, 19:29
My fastest 5K is 21m 8s, so that works out that i did a mile in 6.78min, that was a couple of years ago on the gym treadmill, i've had to give up running for the time being though, my knees have packed in and i've been waiting 5 months to get into Physiotherapy.

rockchick
07-Oct-08, 19:53
Are you talking about a good old fashioned 1760 yard mile or the new fangled 1500metres which masquerades as the popular middle distance.

I was talking about the old-fashioned 1760 yard mile...which is the only mile I know.

rockchick
07-Oct-08, 19:56
My fastest 5K is 21m 8s, so that works out that i did a mile in 6.78min, that was a couple of years ago on the gym treadmill, i've had to give up running for the time being though, my knees have packed in and i've been waiting 5 months to get into Physiotherapy.

Consolation re the knees - I know I worry constantly about my joints, especially knees, as I've had them dislocate in the past.

My only 5k race time is 23m 43s, which I was really chuffed with. Heck, I was chuffed to finish the race without stopping - let's get real here! But my stamina has improved since then, and I'd like to do a 10k soon.

Gizmo
07-Oct-08, 20:07
Consolation re the knees - I know I worry constantly about my joints, especially knees, as I've had them dislocate in the past.

My only 5k race time is 23m 43s, which I was really chuffed with. Heck, I was chuffed to finish the race without stopping - let's get real here! But my stamina has improved since then, and I'd like to do a 10k soon.

I'm pretty sure it's my cartlidge that's gone so physiotherapy is going to do sod all for me, it's a referral to the orthopedic department i really need, but they will not accept anyone with knee pain until they have been seen by physio, so it's 5 months or more waiting for a physio consultation and then god knows how long on the orthopedic waiting list....Grrrrrrrrr!!!!, i hope it's not too long, i really miss running...a lot :(

Nowt wrong with your 5k time, anything below 25mins for 5k is a damn good time

TBH
07-Oct-08, 21:30
I can run the four meenid mile in 20 meenids.

teenybash
07-Oct-08, 21:37
Probably take me about a week.... then total bedrest for a month!!!!!:)

TBH
07-Oct-08, 22:08
Probably take me about a week.... then total bedrest for a month!!!!!:)Bed rest allied with copious amounts of compressed oxygen.[lol]

brokencross
08-Oct-08, 07:30
I can run the four meenid mile in 20 meenids.
Another classic

oldmarine
09-Oct-08, 05:16
At 83 years I no longer run; however, I normally walk a mile in 20 minutes. My exercise regimine is to walk 3 miles each day.