PDA

View Full Version : Calling Brocks in Thurso and Caithness!

ED2005
12-Jan-06, 22:25
Hi folks,

This is my first post on Caithness.org. I have been tracing a branch of our family for a few years now and have quite bit of information about the Brock family who moved to Aberdeen from Thurso, most of them involved in the granite polishing\cutting trade. Have tracked some of them who emigrated to Buffalo, USA and have also had recent correspondence from a descendant in New Zealand. I don't have too much info however, on the Brocks who stayed behind and their descendants, so if you recognise any of these names, please give me an e-mail! I am still in touch with a couple of elderly Brock descendants who would love to know more.

Wiliam Brock b Aug 17 1803 m'd to 1. Janet Campbell and 2. Christina Ross

Their children: James, Ann, Christian, Donald and John, born between 1827 and 1834, William Manson Brock b1836 d 1906 (we have quite a lot of interesting info on him as he is our ancestor), and from the second marriage Elizabeth, Christina and Malcolm.

William Manson Brock married a Janet or Jennet Thomson. They had 12 children, many of whom emigrated to the USA (Barre, Vermont and Buffalo, NY). He died in Aberdeen in 1906.

If you recognise any of these names or are a Brock in Thurso and think you might be a descendant, please get in touch.

Thank you!

ED2005
24-Jan-06, 21:49
In reply to my own posting... does anyone remember Brock's Draper shop in Thurso... or the people who worked there. Also does anyone remembera Malcolm Brock, who may have been a harbourmaster at Thurso?

With regard to Barre, Vermont, I mentioned in my previous posting, I often wondered why such a large shift of people might want to go there. I looked on the net and discovered it is 'the granite city of the world.' This explains why so many stone masons and polishers from Caithness and beyond emigrated to there.