PDA

View Full Version : New bus timetable/Rapsons/CityLink/Stagecoach (merged threads)

badger
06-Oct-08, 11:38
Having seen the ads. in the paper for the new "improved" timetable to Inverness I decided to download it this morning. How dare they describe this as improved? We used to have a bus every two hours, so easy to remember, from Wick which took just under 3 hours and had onboard loos. Now the times are all over the place, the bus takes longer and there are apparently no onboard loos. Passengers are expected to cross their legs and wait for Dornoch - try telling that to a small child or anyone with a problem.

If I had seen this in time I would have sent a question to the Ward Forum tonight. It's a disgrace [disgust] .

Mr P Cannop
06-Oct-08, 11:56
save the question or questions for the thurso ward forum meeting on monday 8th december 08 in the royal hotel

starry
06-Oct-08, 12:36
The fact there are no toilets is awful.

I thought the point was to encourage more people to use public transport :confused

zappster
06-Oct-08, 16:19
Regarding the lack of toilet facilities..Yea Its definately not a situation you want to experience on such a long journey..What a Total disgrace on Citylinks part.Its an issue that needs to be resolved NOW. as for the timetable..people will just stop using the service as their researchers have made a big blunder with the winter timetable!

rfr10
06-Oct-08, 16:34
I have a question- does the 82 service between Wick and Thurso via Halkirk still operate? Oh and why does Thurso have priority over Wick by having an extra service which bypasses Wick?

daviddd
06-Oct-08, 16:48
I have a question- does the 82 service between Wick and Thurso via Halkirk still operate? Oh and why does Thurso have priority over Wick by having an extra service which bypasses Wick?
yes - I used this 2 weeks ago, mine left Wick around 1130 I think, going via Pultneytown and Halkirk.

Gizmo
06-Oct-08, 16:58
Yeah i just booked bus tickets using the Citylink website and was pretty shocked to see that it now takes 3hr 18mins to get to Inverness, still it's better than the journey between Inverness and Aberdeen which according to the site now takes over 5 hours, i'm assuming it's now Inverness to Aberdeen via Newcastle, either that or the bus is a cleverly disguised horse and cart :p

rfr10
06-Oct-08, 16:58
yes - I used this 2 weeks ago, mine left Wick around 1130 I think, going via Pultneytown and Halkirk.

But since this new timetable has come out, does this service still exist? I can't find details of it anywhere.

Also to add.. if they are increasing the duration of their journeys, should they not be reducing the cost of their service as it is causing inconvenience to customers.

badger
06-Oct-08, 16:59
The new timetables can be found here
http://www.stagecoachbus.com/inverness/

We have also lost the bus home from Inverness late afternoon via Wick which was so useful after a day's shopping. Should have known it would be a disaster if stagecoach took over - do they even know where we are?

I see there's also a fares "revision" in Orkney - revised up of course. Wonder how long it will be before we're paying more for less.

rfr10
06-Oct-08, 17:02
If someone could sum up all the problems with the new Stagecoach take over, I could easily have a go at them. I have made contact with the Managing director in the past and through my role as transport convener, this is something I'd really like to take forward.

hotrod4
06-Oct-08, 17:59
Do they actually know where Wick and Thurso are?
Perhaps the timetable was designed by a pen pusher who had nothing better to do than wind up the folk of Caithness!! :(

Mr P Cannop
06-Oct-08, 18:07
the new local time table come out on the 30th oct

Tristan
06-Oct-08, 19:04
It sounds like the new timetable is a rubbish. Lets hope the councilors speak up about it!

embow
06-Oct-08, 19:18
All of these concerns and more were aired in the Groat last Friday with the intention of pre-warning folks of the changes. The service on the A99 between Latheron, through Lybster, Thrumster, Wick and on to Reiss and Castletown is even worse off than Thurso which gets a direct bus leaving Inverness at 16.25 but goes via Halkirk.
I believe the addition of time is due to this service now going on a mystery tour of Invergordon as well as visiting Evanton for the first time ever by north buses. Why? These places already have plenty other local services to Inverness on a more frequent basis than places north of Tain.
The response to enquiries by the Groat from the Area Manager was quite lamentable and indeed revealed the true reason when he was quoted as saying it was for "a commercial decision". Cost cutting by any other name!
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/5446/Coach_concerns_as_journey_time_increases.html

Fran
07-Oct-08, 00:50
I think it is good that the journey now takes 18 minutes longer....3 hours and 18 minutes. the buses go too fast, especially between wick and Helmsdale. I dont think i could manage to drive from wick to inverness, stoping at bus stops, driving to dorncoh and invergordon and alness, in that time.
I prefer the train, just under an hour longer, but room to stretch your legs, go for a walk, have a cup of tea, more comfort...and toilets.

Sairheed
07-Oct-08, 04:02
My analysis of the "commercial decision" is that it is part of the strategy to ensure that Inverness passsengers get the pick of the more popular mid morning southward journeys; thus consigning us "peripherals" to later services.

A strategy that makes the longest journeys even longer - what the hell we are only a blip in their vast market.

Tristan
07-Oct-08, 06:55
I think it is good that the journey now takes 18 minutes longer....3 hours and 18 minutes. the buses go too fast, especially between wick and Helmsdale. I dont think i could manage to drive from wick to inverness, stoping at bus stops, driving to dorncoh and invergordon and alness, in that time.
I prefer the train, just under an hour longer, but room to stretch your legs, go for a walk, have a cup of tea, more comfort...and toilets.

I have taken the bus once or twice and been stuck behind one on more than one occasion and I have never noticed them to speed.

Amy-Winehouse
07-Oct-08, 10:28
This service from Inverness has been a disgrace for years, 4th rate buses for us living in the North, non existent pick up points in Alness ,InverG, Tain, How often do you see people getting on or off there??

Now to cap it all , they are going back to the stoneage bus with no toilet? I remember coming back from Edinburgh last year & our bus was late getting in to Inverness so that I had to get my back & run for the Wick bus only to find there was no toilet!! I was okay but there were a couple of chaps who had obviously had a beer or two & they were going to demand the driver stopped so they could get relief, luckilly for him, he did in Dornoch.

How does it take 3 hrs 18 mins to do this run?? are they havin a 20 min fag break in Dornoch? I really wish I had a car sometimes as you can do it in 2hr & 15 at a steady 60mph & you dont have some tramp from Alness sit beside you & stink the place out:eek:

golach
07-Oct-08, 10:38
This seems to be a common complaint about Stagecoach buses, their business practices leaves a lot to be desired, the links were found by a quick google [disgust]

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/837187?UserKey=

http://www.montrosereview.co.uk/news/Make-bus-complaints-official.4527524.jp

http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/lancasternews?articleid=4430444

http://www.arbroathherald.co.uk/news/NEW-SERVICE-BRANDED-A-39SHAMBLES39.4438138.jp

badger
07-Oct-08, 12:28
The new timetable to Inverness came in yesterday and I do wonder how many people have been standing around in this wet windy weather waiting for buses at the times they have been used to for years. Apart from the article in the Groat and some rather bad advertisements telling you to pick up a new timetable from somewhere or download it (how many of the regular elderly passengers have internet access or are near a travel shop?) there has been very little publicity.

If the trains didn't take so long to Inverness I would use them more as at least they are comfortable but if you live in the countryside you need a bus to get to the station (or a car to Georgemas, where there is no proper car park to leave it all day).

William
07-Oct-08, 20:34

We have no need to be speeding anywhere with the timetables we have there is far to much time especially when it's quiet

floyed
07-Oct-08, 20:52
I went down to Inverness by bus about a month ago and was surprised there was no loo on board had to wait till Dornoch to go:eek:

speedo215
07-Oct-08, 22:00

when we go to inverness we can do it in 2 hours easy sitting at 60mph and then 70mph on the dual carriageway

daviddd
09-Oct-08, 13:03
As interested orgers will know the new timetable is now in and Rapson’s are no more. I phoned the bus info helpline in Thurso - 01847 893123 for confirmation of the times of the first bus. The lady was very helpful and I was referred to the Stagecoach online timetable as being up to date (effective from 6 October). I also had a peek at the Scottish Citylink website and was surprised to see that the times varied slightly e.g. the bus arrives at Latheron 0818 on the Citylink site but 0813 on the Stagecoach site. I was told that the STAGECOACH times are the ones to refer to, so I reiterate that to avoid missing the bus, make sure you use the STAGECOACH timetable..

Mr P Cannop
09-Oct-08, 13:36
whats the web link to the stage coach web site ??

starry
09-Oct-08, 14:47
http://www.stagecoachbus.com/promo/?back=http://www.stagecoachbus.com/

Google is my friend ;)

Mr P Cannop
09-Oct-08, 20:16
got 2 time table here one says leaves thurso at 14.08 and the other says leaves thurso at 14.03pm ?? whats the right time ??

dirdyweeker
09-Oct-08, 20:33
got 2 time table here one says leaves thurso at 14.08 and the other says leaves thurso at 14.03pm ?? whats the right time ??

14.03 from Sir Georges Street. Monday to Friday, Sat and Sunday

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables/25xweb.pdf

rfr10
09-Oct-08, 20:40
I notice that he 82 service between Wick and Thurso still operates. Where exactly is the timetable for this service does any one know?

Mr P Cannop
09-Oct-08, 21:16
will the local bus times change ??

teenybash
09-Oct-08, 23:18
Do they actually know where Wick and Thurso are? :(

Of course they do....it's where people with big bladders live......:confused

badger
12-Oct-08, 10:58
Was just emailing someone about all this nonsense and had another thought. The total journey time now from Thurso to Inverness is approx. 4 1/4 hours, assuming no delays. The bus does not stop right by the public toilets in Dornoch - they're not far away but in snow or pouring rain they're certainly far enough. So - supposing even half the bus load decides they need to take advantage of the only opportunity, it's going to be chaos. Lots of wet, cold, miserable passengers - many elderly using the free bus pass - trying to dry out in the bus and extending the journey time even more.

Who can we sue?

Reaper
12-Oct-08, 16:27
Who can we sue?

Now your talking, Great idea will it work tho?

zappster
12-Oct-08, 17:46
I emailed a complaint via the citylink website & recieved confirmation letter through the post of receipt of my complaint.I advise everyone else to complain as well..then maybe just maybe they will have to do something.

badger
12-Oct-08, 18:21
So before we sue, maybe getting them to post lots of acknowledgements will make them think about their postage bill if nothing else. Here's the link again for Stagecoach http://www.stagecoachbus.com/inverness/
They claim to be our local provider now so don't think we should blame poor old Citylink who did a much better job.

Going back to the Stagecoach Inverness link the first time today I got this
Promo with an oh so funny cartoon - NOT
http://www.stagecoachbus.com/promo/?back=http://www.stagecoachbus.com/inverness/ .

Electric blue
12-Oct-08, 20:01
Was just emailing someone about all this nonsense and had another thought. The total journey time now from Thurso to Inverness is approx. 4 1/4 hours, assuming no delays. The bus does not stop right by the public toilets in Dornoch - they're not far away but in snow or pouring rain they're certainly far enough. So - supposing even half the bus load decides they need to take advantage of the only opportunity, it's going to be chaos. Lots of wet, cold, miserable passengers - many elderly using the free bus pass - trying to dry out in the bus and extending the journey time even more.

Who can we sue?

Also take pity on the Poor Bus driver who is only doing his job not running the company and is more than likely at the back of the que jigging up and down waiting for the loo and he has been on the go longer than the passengers.:eek: I Need A Wee :eek:

embow
12-Oct-08, 20:52
Looks as if another 21st century service has gone! Tried to book a return to Inverness online as you were able to do when Citylink was the operator. As far as I can see it looks as if Stagecoach online don't have, or don't want to provide this facility. Only Unirider and Megarider tickets online which are for, in and around, urban areas and more populated places than in the north. And - even if they were applicable - they get posted out to you! No printing your ticket off at home now or getting it by text on the mobile. Still possible to do this with Megabus south of Inverness, yet basically they are one and the same as Stagecoach are the owners of Megabus!!

Mother Bear
12-Oct-08, 21:09
Yes embow...I just tried to book a bus ticket and print off my ticket at home but no luck...it used to be so easy. I used to be able to get the bus to Inverness and then the one to the airport, just in time to catch a flight to Bristol. With this new timetable I am having to look at an alternative option, train from Helmsdale to Inverness which will just get me there in time......but if there are any delays or a landslide! God forbid, I will have to get a taxi to the airport.........
Yes the more people who write a complaint to Stagecoach just might make a difference.

IC
12-Oct-08, 22:09
Embow and Mother Bear, however strange it may seem you are still able to book tickets through the Citylink website.

dog2astro
01-Nov-08, 11:46
Hi,
My husband travelled from Castletown to Inverness on 26th October (a Sunday) and the loos were shut at Durnoch. By the time he got to Inverness he was desperate as he takes a diuretic. To add insult to injury he had to pay 20p to have a wee at Inverness bus station.
So beware there is no comfort stop on a Sunday - don't take your diuretic!

Gizmo
01-Nov-08, 12:20
Looks as if another 21st century service has gone! Tried to book a return to Inverness online as you were able to do when Citylink was the operator. As far as I can see it looks as if Stagecoach online don't have, or don't want to provide this facility. Only Unirider and Megarider tickets online which are for, in and around, urban areas and more populated places than in the north. And - even if they were applicable - they get posted out to you! No printing your ticket off at home now or getting it by text on the mobile. Still possible to do this with Megabus south of Inverness, yet basically they are one and the same as Stagecoach are the owners of Megabus!!

You are wrong, i booked my bus ticket using their online service a couple of weeks ago, where you are going wrong is that you are trying to do it through the Stagecoach website, it's still the www.citylink.co.uk website you use for this area.

Fran
02-Nov-08, 02:55
Everyone will be pleased. In the Press and Journal today it states that the buses will be returning to their old timetables etc, but no toilets, so will be back to 3 hour trip on the old timetable.

embow
02-Nov-08, 11:32
You are wrong, i booked my bus ticket using their online service a couple of weeks ago, where you are going wrong is that you are trying to do it through the Stagecoach website, it's still the www.citylink.co.uk (http://www.citylink.co.uk) website you use for this area.

How daft and confusing is that?
:confused

Mr P Cannop
02-Nov-08, 12:36
will Stagecoach be making new time tables ??

badger
02-Nov-08, 18:36
Stagecoach do seem to be amazingly disorganised. The old Rapsons/Citylink timetable was supposed to run until 26 Oct but Stagecoach changed it on 6 Oct. They now have timetables on their website from 27 Oct (same as the 6 Oct one as far as I can see). If they knew there was going to be a big meeting last week, why not wait? Presumably now they're going to have to post, and print, yet another timetable. Give up.

Mr P Cannop
02-Nov-08, 23:02
Stagecoach do seem to be amazingly disorganised. The old Rapsons/Citylink timetable was supposed to run until 26 Oct but Stagecoach changed it on 6 Oct. They now have timetables on their website from 27 Oct (same as the 6 Oct one as far as I can see). If they knew there was going to be a big meeting last week, why not wait? Presumably now they're going to have to post, and print, yet another timetable. Give up.

does any one know when this will be happing ??