PDA

View Full Version : Size DOES Matter - What Size Is Yours?

brokencross
06-Oct-08, 10:48
(Moderator sees thread title and has heart attack while reaching for delete button)

My 17" monitor decided to throw its hand in and I had to resort to an older 14" monitor and boy did I notice a difference. It felt so, so strange, even "uncomfortable" if you see what I mean.

Am glad to say 17" now repaired and back in use.

What size are other Orgers and does it matter?

MadPict
06-Oct-08, 10:51
The bigger the better.

I recently went from 20" to 24" - when I have to go back to my 14" laptop it's quite claustrophobic...

changilass
06-Oct-08, 10:54
Now now boys - size aint eveything, I prefer quality myself.

Lolabelle
06-Oct-08, 10:55
I'm not sure, I can't remember, do you measure diagonally?????

brokencross
06-Oct-08, 11:01
Yep....... diagonally

Julia
06-Oct-08, 11:05
Mine is a mere 17 inches :(

Angela
06-Oct-08, 11:06
The bigger the better.

I recently went from 20" to 24" - when I have to go back to my 14" laptop it's quite claustrophobic...

I'm a recent convert to a mac - aren't you a mac user as well, MP? I have a 15" MacBook, so the screen's smaller than that. I'm so pleased to have escaped from the trials and tribulations of a pc I'm not too bothered about screen size -yet. ;)

However, my daughter's just upgraded to a new monster mac with a giant screen that sounds like yours -she works from home and her old mac had died.

I could even use it without needing to put on my specs! :lol:

I am green with envy!

silverfox57
06-Oct-08, 11:17
Mine is a mere 17 inches :(
so is mine and as Adam Shaw was saying on radio 4 this morning we all have to buy what we need. not what we want,17inches is fine,not one with keeping up with the Jones,:lol:

MadPict
06-Oct-08, 11:50
Angela,
Yes I am <looks round> a Mac user.

I had a 20" G5 iMac which developed a sporadic shutting down problem. It had 2 new logic boards and a new power supply to try to sort it out. In the end they did, but the machine then had an issue with the fans. I had Applecare on the thing with about 4 months left to run and Apple aggreed to replace the now almost 3 yr old iMac with a new 20" one.
I asked about a paid upgrade to the top spec 24" one and they agreed.

I contributed the start of the problems to some power cuts we had earlier in the year - so I went out and bought an APC UPS (http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR800I&tab=models) to at least give some protection to the new iMac.
Luckily I decided to go for a slightly heavier load one than I needed - just as well after I decided on the 24"!!!

So Applecare can make sense... :D

Nibbler
06-Oct-08, 12:19
Darn, I thought this thread was something totally different. But, seeing as I'm here I might as well add ma wee bit.

Its a laptop I am currently using - monitor is (as I scrabble for the measuring tape) 17 inches.

Its been that long since I have sat at a proper monitor I cant say about bigger being better :lol:

E 17 inches does me fine. Changilass had it spot on anyway

Kevin Milkins
06-Oct-08, 12:45
Yep....... diagonally

Or if in Wales Dai-Aggerly.:lol:

balto
06-Oct-08, 13:09
mines is 17inchs , big enough for me.lol

KCI
06-Oct-08, 13:31
My monitor is 22 inches. :eek:

arana negra
06-Oct-08, 13:38
No idea what size but it fits the purpose just dandy :lol:

riggerboy
06-Oct-08, 14:05
i`ll have to ask the wifie

oi i`m offshore and dont know the size of the screen at home lol
17" out here

Bad Manners
06-Oct-08, 15:10
Large enough to see,Small enough to fold away size isn't everthing it's quality that counts so all us small ones say

Gizmo
06-Oct-08, 17:33
I have a 17 incher in the bedroom which doesnt get used much, and in the living room i have my old PC hooked up to the 42" plasma, it's mainly used as a media center but i have been known to kick back on the couch with a cordless keyboard/mouse and have some big screen surfing :) but mostly i use my wifes laptop these days, it has a 15" screen and seems to do the trick just fine.

hotrod4
06-Oct-08, 17:57
Mine is 17 inches of pure power!! ;)

Fluff
06-Oct-08, 18:09
We recently got a new PC so the OH got the whole package and we now have a nice 21" monitor.
Took a bit of getting used to mind, I felt like a CCTV operative to start with lol!

Tristan
06-Oct-08, 18:38
On the working PC I have 2 19" monitors which is great for working with and like Gizmo I have another older PC set up in the living room attached to the plasma which I use as a media centre.

Moonboots
06-Oct-08, 20:05
I have a 19 inch but my OH says its abit strenuous on her eyes lol

tigger2u
06-Oct-08, 21:02
took me a while but I worked hard and extended mine to 17in on my lap :roll:

George Brims
06-Oct-08, 21:43
My laptop (Dell) has a 17 inch screen and alongside it at work I have a 21 inch flatscreen. The home machine (that I paid for myself) has a 15 inch one.

rockchick
06-Oct-08, 21:53
For my general day-to-day use I have access to my work laptop, which is 8 inches by 12 inches (to use the old-fashioned method) but when I'm working with photos I like to utilize my home desk top, which has a good size monitor. You can really notice the difference, so I guess size DOES matter!

Bobinovich
06-Oct-08, 22:11
Have a 19" TFT in the office but may consider upgrading to a 22" model when I get my next PC. Standard 15.4" screen on my laptop in the house which is just fine.

Was lucky enough to work on a new Acer 8920 (http://www.johnlewis.com/230492480/Product.aspx) laptop recently with an 18.4" screen, Blu-ray drive and Dolby sound which was a really nice piece of kit!

trix
06-Oct-08, 22:14
im lek nibblers, off for ma tape measure - 15 inches...

tho i hev til say, il hev quality rether than quantity - every time ;)

Tristan
06-Oct-08, 22:24
My laptop (Dell) has a 17 inch screen and alongside it at work I have a 21 inch flatscreen. The home machine (that I paid for myself) has a 15 inch one.

As opposed to stealing it?:confused :D

rockchick
07-Oct-08, 04:49
As opposed to stealing it?:confused :D

As opposed to one that is work supplied (I think, anyways, on reading his posts) [smirk]

nightspirit
12-Oct-08, 20:17
Well i have to say Mine is 8 FT - don't use a screen much go myself a projector and a nice white wall !!! :lol::lol::lol:

Green_not_greed
12-Oct-08, 20:56
Angela,
Yes I am <looks round> a Mac user.

I had a 20" G5 iMac which developed a sporadic shutting down problem. It had 2 new logic boards and a new power supply to try to sort it out. In the end they did, but the machine then had an issue with the fans. I had Applecare on the thing with about 4 months left to run and Apple aggreed to replace the now almost 3 yr old iMac with a new 20" one.
I asked about a paid upgrade to the top spec 24" one and they agreed.

I contributed the start of the problems to some power cuts we had earlier in the year - so I went out and bought an APC UPS (http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR800I&tab=models) to at least give some protection to the new iMac.
Luckily I decided to go for a slightly heavier load one than I needed - just as well after I decided on the 24"!!!

So Applecare can make sense... :D

First I've heard in detail of such failings with Macs. I've been using them non-stop since my first MacPlus in 1985 - and never had a problem apart from compatibity with some PC files! Now I have a Mac G5 2Gb duo (21" screen for this thread) but also a PC (19" screen) 2.3Gb 64-bit duo processer and with a home network all Macs and PCs speak to each other and share files and printers. So got over the "bad old days" between Macs and PCs.

I'd love one of those huge TV type monitors for my Mac but simply can't afford it. Most TVs these days have digital and VGA inputs from PC/Mac and so its easy to double up if you don't have family.......

GNG

bobandag16
12-Oct-08, 21:13
(Moderator sees thread title and has heart attack while reaching for delete button)

My 17" monitor decided to throw its hand in and I had to resort to an older 14" monitor and boy did I notice a difference. It felt so, so strange, even "uncomfortable" if you see what I mean.

Am glad to say 17" now repaired and back in use.

What size are other Orgers and does it matter?
i have read all the replies to the theard i would like to point you arev all inches mine is in metric much bigger and modern

northener
12-Oct-08, 23:16
If I want a larger screen on my PC, I just lean forward.........