PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife photography - late February

JoeSoap
05-Oct-08, 23:20
Hi all,

I might be coming back to Caithness toward the end of February. I'll be bringing my camera, a couple of lenses (up to 400mm) and, if needed, a hide and some warm clothing.

I'd like to spend a couple of days getting some wildlife photography in - don't mind early starts or late finishes and the cold, wet and dirt doesn't really bother me.

What would you suggest I focus on and where?

Thanks,

Joe

Aaldtimer
06-Oct-08, 02:37
Well, early starts and late finishes will probably mean you are in the dark!:(

Kenn
06-Oct-08, 09:53
Try the hide at St John's Lock accessed from the road to Dunnet Head, and ground conditions permitting the one at Loch Mey.
Scrabster harbour can usually throw up a few surprises as can some of the other little havens along the coast between Dunnet Head and Mey beach.
Castletown beach, the western rocky end of Dunnet Bay and round to the heritage trail just beyond the harbour.
Westerdale and the back roads down to Reay.
We usually just have the cameras to hand and trundle along the back roads, an OS map will be needed for this.
Hope you manage the trip and happy birdwatching.

JoeSoap
06-Oct-08, 10:34
Well, early starts and late finishes will probably mean you are in the dark!:(
True - but that does mean I'll be in the right place when the sun eventually comes up ;)

JoeSoap
06-Oct-08, 10:35
Hope you manage the trip and happy birdwatching.
Thanks for the advice - I know St John's loch quite well but not the hide... don't really know Loch Mey at all. I'll look in to both. :D