PDA

View Full Version : Sporting facilities in Caithness

DW
12-Jan-06, 21:22
Anyone else get a serious dose of the HUMP when watching the item about Nairn's new pitch on Grampian the other night?
£1.3 million for a HUGE all-weather area and a HUGE pavilion for changing in.
What do we get - a cheap all-weather pitch in Thurso that is already deteriorating, and an even cheaper one in Wick (under£0.4m) with no changing rooms at all.
Due to the proposed location of the pitch it will be sodall use to the school and I hope you are all going to enjoy changing in your cars when you want to use it.
Once again, Caithness gets the short end of the deal.

Saveman
13-Jan-06, 00:58
An indoor 5-a-side pitch would be great.

angela5
13-Jan-06, 01:14
[lol] i don't mind changing in the car i've done that often enough.

melted_wellie
13-Jan-06, 01:20
[lol] i don't mind changing in the car i've done that often enough.were talkin about gettin changed for football etc.......not just pullin yer draars up...haha

angela5
13-Jan-06, 01:42
[lol] it's sports wear i'm talking about. Silly[lol]

DW
13-Jan-06, 10:43
Well it would appear that Hielan Cooncil have got it absolutely right.
Any cheap rubbish will do for Caithness because no-one is really bothered and they're all mingers who don't need proper facilities.
Anyway, they'll all die young from fags and booze so we can just shut the road at the Ord! [smirk]

rfr10
13-Jan-06, 16:57
Anyone else get a serious dose of the HUMP when watching the item about Nairn's new pitch on Grampian the other night?
£1.3 million for a HUGE all-weather area and a HUGE pavilion for changing in.
What do we get - a cheap all-weather pitch in Thurso that is already deteriorating, and an even cheaper one in Wick (under£0.4m) with no changing rooms at all.
Due to the proposed location of the pitch it will be sodall use to the school and I hope you are all going to enjoy changing in your cars when you want to use it.
Once again, Caithness gets the short end of the deal.

Where did you hear that there weren't going to be any changing rooms in the All weather pitch that is going to be built in Wick? Even if there weren't any changing rooms, the High School Games Hall changing rooms could be used. At least we are getting one built for us.

DW
13-Jan-06, 17:12
Where did you hear that there weren't going to be any changing rooms in the All weather pitch that is going to be built in Wick? Even if there weren't any changing rooms, the High School Games Hall changing rooms could be used. At least we are getting one built for us.

It has often been reported in the Groat and I have had it confirmed by the local Area Education manager.

The changing rooms in the Games hall are far too small - 20-30 people in the hall and maybe the same on the playing fields - hope you like being close? And how about security for valuables or even yer shoes? How they are all going to get showers when there are only 2 that work in the male changing rooms?

The there is the problem of the 3oo yard hike to the pitch across a waterlogged muddy field; then you will have all the mud going into the all weather pitch which will muck up the cheap surface.

NO, it is not enough to say 'at least we are getting one'. That just lets the cooncil off the hook.

They wouldn't put up with this in Inverness so why should we!!!!!

rfr10
13-Jan-06, 17:22
I agree that the games hall isn't in very good condition. I don't think the HS do enough to fix problems around the school because their excuse is always "It will get damaged again so there is no point." Sorry if this is changing the subject a bit but, the boys toilet in the school has no soap in it because again, their excuse is "Someone will take the soap (ha) or it will end up all over the ground. Aren't there any health and safety inspectors that check the schools because I'm sure they wont be happy about the hiegene in the school. Yes, ok you can blame some of it on the pupils but something has to be done. Back onto the subject again, what you have to know is that Caithness- Wick especially seemingly have very little money to be spent on improvements- so where do other places get their money from? I think Dingwall has better quality stuff than Wick and their town isn't that big, I don't think. I think that it is good that they are bothering to build an all weather pitch but it's totally stupid that there will be no changing rooms- surley there's some reason. Maybe we will get some money from 'The Big Lottery Fund' as me and my friend are going to a meeting in Inverness next month to decide who should get the money. I do hope it will be us.

Bumblebee
13-Jan-06, 17:27
I agree Wick could do with more in the way of sports facilities, particularly for badminton :grin: We could also desperately do with more horse facilities, although I believe an indoor arena in Wick is in the pipeline?!? Yippee!!

Alice in Blunderland
13-Jan-06, 17:29
In the Groat a few months ago there was a report about how the local Education Culture and Sport dpt saved almost 140k last year.This would have gone a long way to providing repairs to the showers and even some soap for us 'Dirty Weekers',where did the cash go or have you guessed.......back to Inverness.

DW
13-Jan-06, 17:37
I agree that the games hall isn't in very good condition. I don't think the HS do enough to fix problems around the school because their excuse is always "It will get damaged again so there is no point."
Actually, the problem is that every single thing has to be approved from Inverness; the school's repair budget can barely cope with little things.

Sorry if this is changing the subject a bit but, the boys toilet in the school has no soap in it because again, their excuse is "Someone will take the soap (ha) or it will end up all over the ground. Aren't there any health and safety inspectors that check the schools because I'm sure they wont be happy about the hiegene in the school.
Strangely, I believe that the soap thing is controlled by Hieland Cooncil through the Cleaners. It is the cleaners who stock up paper towels and toilet paper and if Inverness doesn't give them a big enough budget then things run out. Difficult choice though - soap or toilet paper :cry:

Back onto the subject again, what you have to know is that Caithness- Wick especially seemingly have very little money to be spent on improvements- so where do other places get their money from?
It almost appears that the amount of money available is in inverse proportion to your distance from the City.

I think that it is good that they are bothering to build an all weather pitch but it totally stupid that there will be no changing rooms- surley there's some reason.Maybe we will get some money from 'The Big Lottery Fund' as me and my friend are going to a meeting in Inverness next month to decide who should get the money. I do hope it will be us.
The reason is simple I expect - priority; Caithness is very low priority. The original plan to build an all-weather pitch was altered because certain officials could not agree where to build it in Wick. Therefore it was built in Thurso. So stupid decisions are nothing new.
I wish you good luck at trying to get some money and for goodness sake ASK DIFFICULT QUESTIONS! Don't be put off with smart answers.

rfr10
13-Jan-06, 17:47
Ill try as hard as I can and if there are any statements you can think of that you'd like me to tell, then email me either through the Scottish Youth Parliament website by searching for me under "Robin" Cons. "Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross" or through the link below but it is unlikely I will receive your message if you use the link below. Unfortonately I can not report back to anyone on what we disgussed at the meeting as this was the agreement for being on the BLF Committee.

DW
13-Jan-06, 18:24
Unfortonately I can not report back to anyone on what we disgussed at the meeting as this was the agreement for being on the BLF Committee.

Maybe I am a bit paranoid but isn't it a bit 'big brother' that members of the Youth Parliament are gagged by the Lottery fowk? I know it's not up to you Robin, but doesn't it make you think??:mad:

rfr10
13-Jan-06, 21:53
The S.Y.P. haven't actually got anything to do with the Big Lottery Fund. We are not even allowed to disguss anything with family or friends. There are a few reasons I think this might be for. At least I get a day off school to go to the meeting!