PDA

View Full Version : Family fun day help

changilass
05-Oct-08, 22:17
OK so I have a family fun day to organise. It was to be held outdoors and everything was sorted but it now seems as if its gonna happen during the winter months.

Was thinking of using one of the hotels and having a dj and possibly a band at night time but other than that not much idea as to what to do.

It has to be suitable for ages 4 (there will possible be quite a few of these) to 84 (don't think there is anyone older) and I somehow need to organise at least one piper if not the whole blooming pipe band.

Any ideas would be great, I can't think straight my poor brain hurts.

catran
05-Oct-08, 23:07
sounds exciting but as you say a bit awkward with winter looming and such a wide age span. Children dont mind the cold but oh the old people do so what I would suggest if you have a big garden and house:

Hire a marquee for the younger generation plus your pipers and have open doors in the house so they can all run back and forth to their hearts content making sure they have warm clothing and the house fires are going fully to make sure your elderly guests are warm and comfortable. is it a birthday or that??Can your older guests see outside as it could be quite amusing for them watching the little ones.

Just a suggestion we have had family parties even one in November for an 80 odd year old and it has all gone not too badly considering the weather but just have the heating turned up, doors open marquee and your pipers. Wonderful.

golach
05-Oct-08, 23:19
Is there a civic hall of any kind near you Changi, for hire? That maybe a road to go down,

changilass
05-Oct-08, 23:24
Need somewhere with a bar Golach, don't need the hassle of trying to run a bar as well as keeping kids amused. Also bear in mind that I want to enjoy the day too lol.

ciderally
05-Oct-08, 23:29
hire ball pools ect for little ones...dont think a disco would be very good for older ones ..try old fashioned/war time dance....add paint balling teams...still a lot you can do even indoors good luck and have fun..

dirdyweeker
05-Oct-08, 23:30
have sent you a pm

Good luck with event whatever you chose to have.

Dynamic Sounds
06-Oct-08, 13:22
Hi Changilass

Have sent you a PM

changilass
06-Oct-08, 13:51
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, we are still looking for ideas of games to play both for the kids and also some that the adults can join in.

Need to be careful that its not too messy as we dont want to wreck the venue and get kicked out lol

ticbhoy
06-Oct-08, 15:19
bowling alley seems quiet these days, would that be an option???

changilass
06-Oct-08, 15:30
Not really as its also got a formal ceremony as part of it, but thanks for the suggestion.

Is there any humanists up here or do we still need to get them up from Inverness to perform a ceremony??

scotsman1
06-Oct-08, 15:42
OK so I have a family fun day to organise. It was to be held outdoors and everything was sorted but it now seems as if its gonna happen during the winter months.

Was thinking of using one of the hotels and having a dj and possibly a band at night time but other than that not much idea as to what to do.

It has to be suitable for ages 4 (there will possible be quite a few of these) to 84 (don't think there is anyone older) and I somehow need to organise at least one piper if not the whole blooming pipe band.

I sent you a pm

Angela
06-Oct-08, 15:46
Is there any humanists up here or do we still need to get them up from Inverness to perform a ceremony??

The Humanist Society website has a list of celebrants, Changi. None in Caithness, unfortunately - the closest (by road anyway) is in Ross-shire.

changilass
06-Oct-08, 16:01
I did check the web site, but was hoping that it wasn't up to date :~(

Will try contacting them again, had contacted one person a couple of times but they didn't get back in touch, so maybe will try one of the others.

Thanks anyhow.