PDA

View Full Version : UK Biobank

Tristan
05-Oct-08, 21:23
Has anyone else received this letter asking you to submit for testing to the UK biobank?

An excerpt from http://www.ukbiobank.ac.uk
UK Biobank is a major UK medical research initiative, and a registered charity in its own right, with the aim of improving the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of serious and life-threatening illnesses – including cancer, heart diseases, diabetes, arthritis and forms of dementia. To do this vital work we need your help. We are now recruiting 500,000 people aged 40-69 from across the country to take part in this project.

It seems to be endorsed by the NHS.

It seems like it could be a good cause but my concern is with how the data will be used and can an agency be trusted with that level of information about people.

catran
06-Oct-08, 00:23
loads of junk mail but have not heard of this one. Mind you could be interesting.

Tristan
06-Oct-08, 07:06
Interesting but can the government and its partners be trusted with that much bio-info on us?

golach
06-Oct-08, 09:28
Has anyone else received this letter asking you to submit for testing to the UK biobank?

UK Biobank is a major UK medical research initiative, and a registered charity in its own right, with the aim of improving the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of serious and life-threatening illnesses – including cancer, heart diseases, diabetes, arthritis and forms of dementia. To do this vital work we need your help. We are now recruiting 500,000 people aged 40-69 from across the country to take part in this project.

It seems like it could be a good cause but my concern is with how the data will be used and can an agency be trusted with that level of information about people.

Been there, done it, the data collected, and the methods of collecting it were very interesting, and I found out a little about my health and lifestyle, thankfully nothing to worry about, a little overweight they said, and I had no fear of any of the information falling into outside hands, if any outside agency wants to know about my Asthma, High Blood Pressure, and High Cholesterol levels, they are welcome to it, if it will help the general community in the future.

TBH
06-Oct-08, 14:39

There may be a multitude of Tristans running around soon all looking for their belly-buttons.[lol]

Ricco
06-Oct-08, 17:36
Not junk mail and definitely worth doing. I had my doubts as well so checked with my GP who was very supportive. The tests are very enlightening and you get a precise about your current fitness, etc at the end. Go for it!

Tristan
06-Oct-08, 17:39
Not junk mail and definitely worth doing. I had my doubts as well so checked with my GP who was very supportive. The tests are very enlightening and you get a precise about your current fitness, etc at the end. Go for it!

Should you not be able to get the health tests done by your local GP?

Tristan
06-Oct-08, 18:22
There may be a multitude of Tristans running around soon all looking for their belly-buttons.[lol]

Belly-button?!? <searches tummy> Am I supposed to have one? Oh no it has started!:lol:

golach
06-Oct-08, 19:52
Should you not be able to get the health tests done by your local GP?
the normal GP does not have the equipment that Bio Bank has, and your GP gets a copy of the results as you do, nothing scary in it at all IMO.