PDA

View Full Version : Tickle IQ

porshiepoo
12-Jan-06, 19:28
Has anyone tried it??

I've just done it and got 127. Fun site cos theres loads of other stuff to do on there too.

Can't remember the site details but it was TickleIQ

DrSzin
12-Jan-06, 19:41
There is more than one Tickle IQ test. Did you do this one (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq/start.html) or this one (http://web.tickle.com/tests/superiq/?test=superiqogt) or some other one?

JAWS
12-Jan-06, 20:47
Did the first one. I really shouldn't do these after I've been up 22 hours.
I'm slipping. I only got 136.
I usually get 138 with those IQ Tests, I must be out of practice.
I really should learn how to do the shapes and colours because I really am no good at them.
I've no idea how accurate they are but they're certainly a bit of fun.

DrSzin
12-Jan-06, 20:54
Gawd JAWS, how often do you do these things? It must be quite often if you can be that precise about your score!

Practice makes perfect. It's like doing crosswords -- they're easy if you think like the setter, but difficult if you don't. It's usually best not to think at all with IQ tests: just do the dumb thing and you'll be fine. If you think too hard you'll dismiss the test as stupid because most questions don't have a unique correct answer.

I'll try it later -- gotta dash right now. On the other hand, maybe I won't, I've wasted hours on here today already. :o

unicorn
12-Jan-06, 21:08
131 I am happy with that!

JAWS
12-Jan-06, 21:28
Only occasionally. I used to try the ones on Ceefax many years ago and got similar results. I didn't do them for years until I did one about 12 months ago. I was very surprised when I got a similar result because I was never convinced they were anywhere near accurate.
Because they were just for a bit of entertainment I always suspected the results were raised to massage people's egos.
Seeing the one I last year and now this one have come up with similar results I assume they are either fairly accurate or everybody massages them to the same extent.
Of course, if I found one that gave me 150 then I would definitely decide that it was accurate and stick with it! (Some hopes;) )

katarina
12-Jan-06, 22:04
Did the first one. I really shouldn't do these after I've been up 22 hours.
I usually get 138 with those IQ Tests, I must be out of practice.
I really should learn how to do the shapes and colours because I really am no good at them.
I've no idea how accurate they are but they're certainly a bit of fun.

I got 135 on the first one. Must admit I was stuck with the coloured shapes and it was just guess work with them. It was fun tho. must go and try the other one szin mentioned

Fesman
12-Jan-06, 22:04
I would be inclined to take Internet IQ tests with a grain of salt.

The only accurate tests are those devised by Universities and Mensa http://www.mensa.org

I have taken the Mensa test and I'm placed in the 97th percentile with an IQ of 138.

I have done Internet tests for fun and the results are always dramatically higher than that :)

Be wary of subscribing to Tickle Inc. They never seem to run out of net ink and the e-mails from them become rather annoying.

jjc
12-Jan-06, 22:39
Yeeks. Me too. I wonder if we got the same questions wrong.

Yep. It looks like we got the same questions wrong ;)

landmarker
12-Jan-06, 23:09
135. Apparently I'm an 'insightful linguist' ha!
They can't touch you for it - apparently.
My brain was boiling by the end.
Good site though -thanks.

JAWS
12-Jan-06, 23:15
Fresman, that just confirms my suspicions were correct originally.
I had a suspicion the results would be similar for most people.

cullbucket
12-Jan-06, 23:25
Yeah - I did them too and got the same score - 13.6 - right?
I too am a "moron"

landmarker
12-Jan-06, 23:52
A high I.Q. based on false premise or not, is no substitute for common sense. The two, in my experience, do not necessarily go hand in hand.Some of the brightest people I know are quite dense.

I shan't be getting carried away with my 'above average' status. Tomorrow the wagon still beckons, 26 tonnes of auld cardboard to the mill. ahhhh grist indeed. grrrrrist.

DrSzin
14-Jan-06, 01:56
Hmm, is there something special about 138?

JAWS
14-Jan-06, 02:03
Only if 135 is the level for "Absolute Genius"!

Boy, am I good at Dreaming!":lol:

When I have a few quiet moments (i.e. when these nobody for me to annoy on here) I will Test the "Test" and assess it's IQ.

DrSzin
14-Jan-06, 02:17
I've just "assessed" the test and I think it's a bit of a fiddle. I did it once and obtained 138. Then I went through it a couple more times, changing a single answer each time, and I still obtained 138, but with a rather different description of what kind of person I am. First I was Einstein, then someone I've forgotten, then Bill Gates.

Of course, I might have messed up and changed more than one answer each time, but I'm not going back to double-check. :rolleyes:

Some of the questions are lousy -- especially the last one!

JAWS
14-Jan-06, 02:39
That was my intention, DrSzin. I intend to give a wrong answer for three of four were I know I have the correct answer.
I won't do it with enough to make it obvious Justin Case they have covered that eventuality.
I will let you know the outcome.

DrSzin
14-Jan-06, 03:15
I was Plato on the second attempt -- I've just found the "lost" window. It's all rather silly.

JAWS
14-Jan-06, 04:38
Made sure I had about half a dozen wrong answers that I knew were incorrect.
Registered under a different name and knocked about 20 for my IQ so it doesn't automatically give results which are very high.

All we need to know now is by how much it exaggerates, if at all.

I think that is down to you DrS. You must know people who have a known IQ who can check it.

I hate mysteries, they make my sleepy!

Fesman
14-Jan-06, 06:41
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my actual IQ is 138 as determined by tests taken when I was a teenager at school and by Mensa.

I did both the tests from the links above and the first thing that struck me was that they are not IQ tests.

No IQ test I have ever done uses numbers or words in the questions.

Mathematical skills and linguistic abilities are not a quotient of intelligence for the reason that those functions are learnable. There can be no guarantee that all the people taking the tests have learned the same things, therefore the questions are flawed from the outset.

One of the measures of intelligence is the ability to learn.... not the quality nor quantity of the learning.

Furthermore, an IQ test should show no bias toward one demographic or another. In other words, any person alive, no matter his Nationality, sex, age or other criteria, should be able to understand and answer (correctly or incorrectly) any question in the test.

For interest's sake, and nothing else, I scored 136 in the first one and 141 in the second

porshiepoo
14-Jan-06, 11:20
Hmmm, I think it's not so good either, I've just done it again and got 138 but I know I basically put the same answers in as the first time.

Fesman, do you know of a decent site to try???

Fesman
14-Jan-06, 12:21
Hmmm, I think it's not so good either, I've just done it again and got 138 but I know I basically put the same answers in as the first time.

Fesman, do you know of a decent site to try???

You could follow this link http://www.mensa.org.uk/mensa/puzzles.html

Mensa don't offer immediately available online tests, to avoid cheating.

However that link will provide plenty of information and you are able to request a free home test, which they will mark and e-mail the results to you.

scorrie
14-Jan-06, 13:28
Does anyone know how age influences your score?

I did the first test and scored 140. I can remember a BBC version presented by Anne Robinson some years back and according to their resident expert the maximum score achievable in my age group was 140. I actually scored 140 on that occasion also.

No doubt Carol Voldemort would probably score 200 but then she has more time to Potter about with these quizzes than the ordinary Tom, Dick and Harry!!

Fesman
14-Jan-06, 13:43
Age is a factor, but only in that it affects your ability to do the test.

Any properly conducted test takes that into account and the score is adjusted to a formula.

In simple terms, you should find that your IQ remains unaltered as you progress in years.

DrSzin
14-Jan-06, 17:01
I forgot to say last night: I thought I'd got them all right! :lol:

What's the maximum score possble in that test? Do you think we could agree on a set of "correct" answers between the lot of us? I'd like to know which of my answers were wrong, but I'm not paying £8.50 for the privilege.

Maybe I'll try it again later and have a first shot for yous lot to shoot down in flames. :p

Well, I tried it again, and I thought I'd entered the same answers as last night, and lo and behold, I'm Plato again -- but I got 140 this time. Hmm, I must have been a little more "tired and emotional" than I thought last night.:o

hereboy
14-Jan-06, 23:56
I think spending a lot of time faffing about with an online "IQ" test is a far better indicator of a persons relative IQ level than actually taking the test itself...

In the words of Forest Gump - "and thats about all I have to say about that"

landmarker
15-Jan-06, 00:38
For interest's sake, and nothing else, I scored 136 in the first one and 141 in the second

I applaud your sense of board responsibility in deciding to sit this test. Even though you thought it was bobbins ( a load of rubbish) Well done - you beat me, which will surprise no-one.

landmarker
15-Jan-06, 00:40
I think spending a lot of time faffing about with an online "IQ" test is a far better indicator of a persons relative IQ level than actually taking the test itself...

In the words of Forest Gump - "and thats about all I have to say about that"

I said earlier hereboy, I.Q. has no co-relation with common sense.
So you might be right.

cullbucket
15-Jan-06, 00:43
Must agree and I never could see the point of Mensa, especially the meetings.....

Hi - I'm such and such, 156 IQ, whats your IQ?
Would you like a cup of tea?
Wonder what they spend their time doing in the meeting? Use their mighty brains to solve 3rd world poverty or more likely discuss fiendishly difficult crossword puzzles.
Or just bask in the glow of the collective intellect....

landmarker
15-Jan-06, 00:47
no, after they've sorted out their respective I.Q's it will be house prices and how much there's has gone up by!

fed-ex
15-Jan-06, 01:13
127 for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Fesman
15-Jan-06, 14:20
Must agree and I never could see the point of Mensa, especially the meetings.....

It is quite difficult to see the point of anything, if you don't know what you are looking for.

Mensa International
Mensa has three stated purposes: to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity, to encourage research in the nature, characteristics and uses of intelligence, and to promote stimulating intellectual and social opportunities for its members.
Mensa takes no stand on politics, religion or social issues. Mensa has members from so many different countries and cultures with differing points of view, that for Mensa to espouse a particular point of view would go against its role as a forum for all points of view.

Of course, there is more to Mensa than some imagine. The idea that Mensans stand around at meetings swapping respective IQs is a comical, but tired old joke.

I have no real interest in attempting to enlighten anyone as to the workings of Mensa.

I am happy, however, to offer the small piece of information, above, around which more informed opinions may be obtained.

scorrie
15-Jan-06, 16:24

I would imagine that, on some level, it would be for, what the lads from Chewin The Fat would call, the "Milk, Lemonade, Chocolate" factor LOL

Seriously though, they say that birds of a feather flock together and Quentin, (Chartered Accountant, 42 and single) from Kensington is more likely to be seen at a Mensa meeting than sharing a jug of Vodka and Red Bull with Wayne, (Amateur Pharmaceutical Distributor ;o), 26 and father of seven) down the Dog and Ferret of an evening.

Intelligence is only one facet of an individual and if people with high IQ's believe that fact makes them better than someone else, then they are not as bright as they like to think.

DrSzin
15-Jan-06, 18:32
I think spending a lot of time faffing about with an online "IQ" test is a far better indicator of a persons relative IQ level than actually taking the test itself...Touché hereboy -- the longer spent faffing, the lower the IQ. :o

I did a good number of Mensa-style tests when I was a kid and practice makes perfect. All the outspoken Mensae (or should that be Mensas? ;)) I've ever met were prats. I've always thought of Mensae as being like Freemasons but with higher IQs. However, our Kiwi chum seems to be a sensible chap and he doesn't dismiss Mensa out of hand, so maybe I was being a little unfair.

JAWS
15-Jan-06, 18:48
I think the observation I once heard sums it up nicely.
A high IQ shows a great ability to succeed at completing IQ Tests.
But perhaps that's just the cynic in me taking control again. [evil]

cullbucket
15-Jan-06, 21:07
I would imagine that, on some level, it would be for, what the lads from Chewin The Fat would call, the "Milk, Lemonade, Chocolate" factor LOL

Seriously though, they say that birds of a feather flock together and Quentin, (Chartered Accountant, 42 and single) from Kensington is more likely to be seen at a Mensa meeting than sharing a jug of Vodka and Red Bull with Wayne, (Amateur Pharmaceutical Distributor ;o), 26 and father of seven) down the Dog and Ferret of an evening.

Intelligence is only one facet of an individual and if people with high IQ's believe that fact makes them better than someone else, then they are not as bright as they like to think.

Ha Ha Nice One - keeping on the Chewin The Fat theme, I would expect that there would be a fair amount of finger wiggling in the chin area going on there too.... OOOOOOOOH

Fesman
16-Jan-06, 05:01

Your analogy is flawed.

The supposition that an Accountant may have more intelligence than a drug dealer is true.

The supposition that a drug dealer may have more intelligence than an Accountant is also true, but you failed to mention that.

That fact of the matter is that a measure of intelligence may not be determined by the occupation, nationality, colour, age, sex or race of any particular person.

Intelligent people have the ability to assimilate many forms of information. If an intelligent person believed that he or she was better than someone else, then it is reasonable to assume that he or she has digested all the known facts about that person and reached a conclusion that a less "bright" person would find difficult to acheive, accurately.

It is doubtful that an intelligent person would waste time on such a trivial pursuit, however.

scorrie
16-Jan-06, 13:12
Your analogy is flawed.

Err, you are not taking this seriously are you? I know I am not.

In any case, I made no comment about the relative intelligence of the two parties involved, merely stating that it was unlikely to see the two sharing a drink.

An intelligent person may have the ability to assimilate many forms of information. In what way does this make them a better person that someone who is less intelligent?

If you are going to try to pick holes in someone elses post, it is best if you analyse what has been said.

Your ANALYSIS is flawed!! But that doesn't make you a bad person LOL

Fesman
16-Jan-06, 14:27
Err, you are not taking this seriously are you? I know I am not.

I had worked that one out, but some people might be interested in
the subtleties of intelligence and your post merely provided a platform for enlightenment.

Thank you for that :)