PDA

View Full Version : Buttermilk

Tymey
12-Jan-06, 18:59
I need buttermilk for a recipe but can't find it in Somerfield or Lidl's. Does the Co-op sell it? I haven't had the chance to look yet or do you know of any other shop who might. Ta.

neepnipper
12-Jan-06, 19:34
You can make it yourself, takes a while but if you have kids it's good fun for them to do. Just put full cream milk in to an empty screw top container like a jam jar and shake, shake, shake!! Eventually you will have made your own butter, remove that (rinse the butter before using) the residue left in the jar is butter milk! If I remember correctly you'll have to shake for about 20 mins.

laguna2
12-Jan-06, 19:41
Remember to make sure that the lid is closed tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAWS
12-Jan-06, 20:13
It's just skimmed milk isn't it? Or as my grandmother would have said, "Pig Milk" because feeding it to the pigs was the only thing it was any use for!

brandy
12-Jan-06, 21:46
no no no *laughs* buttermilk is a very thick sour milk.. no idea how to make it though.. but is great for baking! biscuits (american kind) are always best with buttermilk.. but ive had same problem finding it.. if you do let me know!

Geo
12-Jan-06, 22:06
I've found it generally hard to find here. If you find a source let me know. It's lovely drunk really cold and makes fantastic scones.

Found this alternative at http://home-n-stuff.net/cooking/recipes/family/buttermilksub.html

"To EACH 1 cup plain milk, add 2-3 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar. Stir, then mix with remaining ingredients as you would the buttermilk, according to the instructions in the recipe."

I'd prefer the real thing but may be worth a try. What are you making and can I have some?

George Brims
12-Jan-06, 22:47
Buttermilk is the watery stuff left over when the fat in cream has clustered together to make butter. The thicker stuff Brandy refers to is sold as buttermilk in the USA but it's not true buttermilk, more like full fat milk turned sour by some additive as Geo suggests.

Pet hate as a child was being parked at the kitchen table with 3 or 4 gallons of cream in an enamel bucket and a big wooden spoon, and left to stir it until it started to turn to butter. Didn't hate the butter on a freshly made scone though!

golach
12-Jan-06, 22:50
Buttermilk is the watery stuff left over when the fat in cream has clustered together to make butter. The thicker stuff Brandy refers to is sold as buttermilk in the USA but it's not true buttermilk, more like full fat milk turned sour by some additive as Geo suggests.

Pet hate as a child was being parked at the kitchen table with 3 or 4 gallons of cream in an enamel bucket and a big wooden spoon, and left to stir it until it started to turn to butter. Didn't hate the butter on a freshly made scone though!

Oh George my mooth is watering the thocht o my Grannys oatcakes an crowdie....to die for, her scones werna too bad either :p

nicnak
12-Jan-06, 22:52
hi the easiest way is to put full fat milk in a kenwood chef bowl, this is the quickest and easiest way to make butter, use the K beater and set the machine on about 2 or 3 and within minutes you have butter and butter milk. If you are wanting butter make sure that you wash the solid mass well with cold water several times or your butter will taste rancid the next day. Hope this helps
nicnak

JAWS
12-Jan-06, 23:12
Come day go day
Wishing in me heart t'was Sunday
Drinking buttermilk all the week
Whiskey on a Sunday

htwood
12-Jan-06, 23:13
Tymey, are you looking for cultured buttermilk, the thick tangy stuff? You can make it yourself, but takes a few days. The other buttermilk is just the watery liquid left from making butter, JAWS' grannie is right, its stuff you add to the pig's slop. Geo gives the recipe for soured milk (adding an acid to sweet milk) which is fine for cooking, but its not cultured.

Hope you find a shop that carries it, but if you don't, here's the recipe for cultured buttermilk:

MAKING CULTURED BUTTERMILK FROM SCRATCH
Allow a cup of filtered fresh raw milk to sit covered at room temperature until it has clabbered (usually several days).
Place 1/4 cup of the clabbered milk in a pint mason jar, add a cupof fresh milk (does not have to be raw at this point), cover, shake to mix, allow to sit at room temperature until clabbered.
Repeat this transfer of sub-culturing several more times until the milk dependably clabbers in 24 hours. Taste a small amount to confirm that it is tart, thickened, and has no off flavors.
To then make a quart of buttermilk with this culture, add 6 ounces of the buttermilk to a quart jar, fill with fresh milk, cover, shake to mix, allow to sit at room temperature until clabbered.
Refrigerate.

Good luck, the recipe is from http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/BUTTERMILK.HTM

Tymey
14-Jan-06, 11:44
Tymey, are you looking for cultured buttermilk, the thick tangy stuff? You can make it yourself, but takes a few days. The other buttermilk is just the watery liquid left from making butter, JAWS' grannie is right, its stuff you add to the pig's slop. Geo gives the recipe for soured milk (adding an acid to sweet milk) which is fine for cooking, but its not cultured.

I'mnot sure what I'm after! It's for a recipe to make soda farls. I remember when I was a wee boy seeing pint bottles with a thick liquid in them and a clearish liquid which had separated - I thought this was buttermilk....

scotsboy
14-Jan-06, 13:30
Whiskey on a Sunday

Don't you like the Scottish stuff then?

cezzy1234
14-Jan-06, 14:23
why dont you make it your self its alot nicer all you need is butter and icing sugar and mix well

Tristan
14-Jan-06, 21:19
If it is American style baking you want the thick buttermilk.
I have bought it at co-op in the past.

You may be able to substitue yogurt, sour cream or sour milk for it.

rainbow
14-Jan-06, 21:28
I made a cake with buttermilk in the recipe and of course it was not to be found in Wick - I improvised and used a mixture of sour cream and milk(an experimental recipe) and the cake was yummy. Not good for the hips though!!