PDA

View Full Version : When should a dog be "snipped"

cuddlepop
05-Oct-08, 15:01
Scorries now 7 months old and very active.No matter how far we walk him and toys we give him he just doesnt settle for long.

Today he's chewed the privacy pull thingy in the boot,why today?.He's ben in the car umpteen times and left it.:(

our other wee dog never seems to get any peace from him either he alwas wants to play.

Would a wee "snip" quieten him down ?

teenybash
05-Oct-08, 15:16
I think some of Scorries chewing will be teeth related.........Anyway as to the snip, it does help hyper dogs calm and always had my fellas 'done' at around a year old. Like yourself I had a Beardie and they are high energy dogs bright and full of intelligencebut, because mine had been a victim of abuse, some of his destructive habits would have been connected to this. Once he was castrated, he calmed down and was able to enjoy life, still with high energy and exuberance but was easily managed and with a little retraining, was a great character. Because Scorrie has came from a good background you will find he will settle pretty quickly...........Good luck and where are those pics...dying to see him.:Razz

cuddlepop
05-Oct-08, 15:41
I think some of Scorries chewing will be teeth related.........Anyway as to the snip, it does help hyper dogs calm and always had my fellas 'done' at around a year old. Like yourself I had a Beardie and they are high energy dogs bright and full of intelligencebut, because mine had been a victim of abuse, some of his destructive habits would have been connected to this. Once he was castrated, he calmed down and was able to enjoy life, still with high energy and exuberance but was easily managed and with a little retraining, was a great character. Because Scorrie has came from a good background you will find he will settle pretty quickly...........Good luck and where are those pics...dying to see him.:Razz

if I tell you he never sits still and thinks he's a fish and not a dog would you be suprised?:eek:
Photo's,there all a blur.
If there is any chance what so ever of getting wet,either a puddle or a bog he takes a mighty leap and .......
Someone actualy said to us,after Scorrie jumped 6 feet of a path into a fast flowing river
"bit confused,eh..dog or a fish?I'd throw him back.:lol:

balto
05-Oct-08, 17:01
i mind we got our old dog butch, done whe he was old enough, and i would never do it again as it blew him of his legs and changed his coat, and it never calmed him down that happened with age. we now have max and he hasnt been done and he is nearly 3 and is now started to calm down, well sometimes anyway lol. max doesnt get out the garden unless he is on a lead to go a walk, so dont worry about him getting a lady dog in the family way.

teenybash
05-Oct-08, 17:20
Give a couple of years Cuddlepop and you will be able to write a book of short stories about Scorrie and his escapades.
Here's my own beardie tale/tail.

Sun was shining and I set off walking to the local town, a 6 mile round trip to pick up some basics and I could usually do it in about an hour.

Hens lay basking in the sun and the two collies, a border and a beardie lay dosing in the yard. A quick peek into the barn reassured me the two heifers due to calf would be fine as they lay contentedly chewing and off I strode.
On the way back I stopped here and there to pet a horsey head or donkey or, just to watch the cows and sheep lazilly munching in the fields.
Back in the farm yard all was at peace, the collies still lying, the hens still sunbathing and the heifers in the shed still chewing.
My pet rooster spied me from his favourite perching place on the bough of an old apple tree in the orchard and he jumped down hoping I had a tasty crumb. I threw him a a bit of the bun I had been eating and carried on into the house paying no heed to what I had just seen......then it dawned on me....my lovely red rooster with his irridescant green and purple tail, with the cascading plumes.......were gone gone and all that was left was a few bits of stubble on the parsons nose!!
First thing I thought was a fox had tried to nab him, maybe an old rogue that didn't know the difference between day and night.
I called the collies planning to use their noses to sniff around for fresh scents. The old border man wagged his tail and lay on but, the beardie, at the thought of a cavort across the fields bounded to his feet and was beside me in a flash, giving me a big open mouth grin.....complete with part of my roosters tail stuck to his tongue!!!!!!![lol]

balto
05-Oct-08, 17:25
Give a couple of years Cuddlepop and you will be able to write a book of short stories about Scorrie and his escapades.
Here's my own beardie tale/tail.

Sun was shining and I set off walking to the local town, a 6 mile round trip to pick up some basics and I could usually do it in about an hour.

Hens lay basking in the sun and the two collies, a border and a beardie lay dosing in the yard. A quick peek into the barn reassured me the two heifers due to calf would be fine as they lay contentedly chewing and off I strode.
On the way back I stopped here and there to pet a horsey head or donkey or, just to watch the cows and sheep lazilly munching in the fields.
Back in the farm yard all was at peace, the collies still lying, the hens still sunbathing and the heifers in the shed still chewing.
My pet rooster spied me from his favourite perching place on the bough of an old apple tree in the orchard and he jumped down hoping I had a tasty crumb. I threw him a a bit of the bun I had been eating and carried on into the house paying no heed to what I had just seen......then it dawned on me....my lovely red rooster with his irridescant green and purple tail, with the cascading plumes.......were gone gone and all that was left was a few bits of stubble on the parsons nose!!
First thing I thought was a fox had tried to nab him, maybe an old rogue that didn't know the difference between day and night.
I called the collies planning to use their noses to sniff around for fresh scents. The old border man wagged his tail and lay on but, the beardie, at the thought of a cavort across the fields bounded to his feet and was beside me in a flash, giving me a big open mouth grin.....complete with part of my roosters tail stuck to his tongue!!!!!!![lol]have you ever seen the films about mist the sheepdog they are a bit like what yoiu have written, the 1st one is about mist as a mischevious pup, well worth watching.

teenybash
05-Oct-08, 17:35
Sounds good...must try to get a copy and see if Mists antic measure up to my doggies escapades...Thanks:)

cuddlepop
05-Oct-08, 18:02
Sounds good...must try to get a copy and see if Mists antic measure up to my doggies escapades...Thanks:)

Lets just say
why am I not suprised.:eek:.
Our dog Warden took one look at Scorrie and declared him a "nuter"

maybe this is how I'm going to make my millions.

"My Nutty Dogs life story".:lol:

teenybash
05-Oct-08, 18:05
Lets just say

Ya never know honey....start writing now!!!!!!!!![lol]

balto
05-Oct-08, 19:25
Lets just say

funny isnt it just by seeing a dog you know what sort of nature they have, our dog is rhe same, it was his daft expression on his face that made us take him home from balmore, our cat sandy is the same i knew instantly when we were at balmore that he was a crazy cat,mind you he did come from orkney, no offence ment to anyone from orkney lol.[lol]

ciggietime
06-Oct-08, 22:09
Depending on the breed, dogs mature at different ages. Vets usually recommend the snip asap.

My male dog is still intact at nearly 1 year old. If he gets too bolshy, he may be snipped but after speaking with peeps in the breed (shar pei), a lot can depend on diet. For example, if you feed Pedigree Chum (can't stand the stuff), you might as well be feeding it the original blue smarties. To say there is too much protein in the stuff is an understatement.

Re chewing - he may well still be teething - have you thought of buying a Kong?

Exercise will burn off a lot of frustration - easily said than done but a lot can be said for that old rule - a dog that farts to kingdom come is usually overfed and underexercised.

We feed James Wellbeloved as shar pei shouldn't have beef or wheat and need a low protein diet. In general though, Chappie is a good food as it isn't full of colourings for those on a budget.

Hills Science is, in my humble opinion, over-rated, Eubeka wossits test on animals, Nutro have had bad press in the USA, and all in all fave foods tend to be James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin.

Diet can make a huge difference. Our old rottie went absolutely nuts on Bakers Complete and the RSPCA Rescue Co-ordinator told us how it was full of E numbers, etc., and how it lead to dermititus in many breeds. When we took Bella off it, her skin improved no end.

I wish you luck with your dog but would look at the amount of exercise, stimulation and diet before wondering if the snip will do the magical job. Yes, it will help but in many cases (which vets never tell you), whilst there is some improvement, it doesn't solve all the energy related problems.

Kind regards.

'housework doesn't kill but why take the risk?'

Liz
06-Oct-08, 22:15
I completely agree with you re diet ciggietime and feel that a lot of dogs are classed as having behavioural problems when, in fact, it is their diet which is the problem.
This is an interesting site http://www.crpf.org.uk/

I am not saying that this is what Scorrie's problem is and am fully aware that some breeds are just full of life and always on the go.

I just know from personal experience that diet can have a huge impact on behaviour.

ciggietime
06-Oct-08, 22:23
I completely agree with you re diet ciggietime and feel that a lot of dogs are classed as having behavioural problems when, in fact, it is their diet which is the problem.
This is an interesting site http://www.crpf.org.uk/

I am not saying that this is what Scorrie's problem is and am fully aware that some breeds are just full of life and always on the go.

I just know from personal experience that diet can have a huge impact on behaviour.

Cheers Liz, will look at the site later. As an afterthought, I'd be kind of worried if a seven month old dog wasn't full of beans!:lol::lol::lol:

'Housework doesn't kill but why take the risk?'

cuddlepop
07-Oct-08, 13:47
Thanks for the diet recommendations.Like many of us on the forum we're on a tight budget so pedigree is off the budget anyway.

Co op own brand dog food and biscuits,somerfield and lidils own brands are fine.
A kong would be a lethal weapon you should see what he does with his ball on a rope.
sometimes I worry he's trying to strangle himself with his sausage rope.
Harry the hamster in the plasic ball,they fight over...must be a "top" dog toy.:lol:

Lets just say he's full of life and I love him to bits but I can understand the older couple who had him found him a handfull.:eek:

justine
07-Oct-08, 16:06
We had Tank done at 61/2 mths old, which is the minimum age for snipping. It has chilled him down and is a great dog, had no problems after surgery and has done him no harm.

Although i recommend getting it done i do also advise that you start reducing food intake now for him before surgery and then its second nature to him when he is snipped , because he will put on weight at a remarkable rate. Tanks food intake(staffie) was 2x 400g cans a day with mixure before now he is on one 400g tin with mix and he is perfect with that, the vets are happy and his weight gain is undercontrol now as he was getting podgy quickly in the first months after.

Well done for having it done, so many people dont have it done and there dogs end up with many problems.